Re: amigaboot.of doesn't work anymore since Upd.2 (solved)

AmigaOne X1000 platform specific issues.
gerograph

Post by gerograph »

I did a total reset for my AONE. These are the HW Specs:
  • HIS-Radeon HD 7750 (H775P1GD) (AOS - 3D - Blender)
  • Radeon 4650 (Linux)
  • 1TB SSD
  • 2GB RAM

This is what I did...
  • FAT (NOT FAT32) formatet CF card
  • booted from AOS 4.1 FE CD an setup a SFS/2 Workbench and a SWAP Partition -> Install
  • copied the amigaboot.of from SYS: to my CFCard (on the WIN10 PC)
  • altered CFE bootmenu to launch amigaboot.of from cf0:
=> could easiely boot into WB - no problem (expect for switching Graphic cards in between)*
  • Installed Upd.1
  • copied new amigaboot.of to CF card on my WIN10 machine
  • rebooted
=> works fine
  • Installed Upd.2
=> my red progress bar* stops about 2 thirds after startup

Does upd.2 need an other amigaboot.of?

*btw it is not red, it is blue - but I suppose that's due to dual Graphiccards Setup...
Last edited by gerograph on Tue Nov 09, 2021 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
MichaelMerkel
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Re: amigaboot.of doesn't work anymore since Upd.2

Post by MichaelMerkel »

i *think* - no.
checking my upd2 copy on disk the amigaboot file is identical to the upd1 file.
v53.21

this is when loading the kickstart modules?
do you have a serial connection? log?

regards...
michael
Michael Merkel :lol:
(Member of Amiga Freunde Pfalz)
gerograph

Post by gerograph »

That is an idea, and I found the reason: In Kicklayout I had to comment out the just added pasemi_dma.resources.... line? Maybe I Do need a x1000 Firmware Update before?
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

Maybe I Do need a x1000 Firmware Update before?
No, I don't believe you do.

The kickmodule pasemi_dma.resource is new in Update 2. To use it you need to have the line active in your Kicklayout (and of course have the file itself present in the Kickstart dir, but the Update 2 installer should take care of that).

The module simply contains some dma routines which were previously inside the kernel (IIRC), but since they are only used on the X1000, it was wasteful to have them there for all platforms.

You should be able to boot with Update 2 without having this module active, though, although you won't have the benefit of the DMA code.

So that's probably not your real problem.

BTW, not sure from your posts whether you already are aware, but AmigaBoot is not firmware, it's just a program called from CFE during the boot to give you a menu of possible configs to boot, and to load the kickmodules from the one you select.

Best regards,

Niels
gerograph

Post by gerograph »

nbache wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 11:28 pm
Maybe I Do need a x1000 Firmware Update before?
No, I don't believe you do.

The kickmodule pasemi_dma.resource is new in Update 2. To use it you need to have the line active in your Kicklayout (and of course have the file itself present in the Kickstart dir, but the Update 2 installer should take care of that).

The module simply contains some dma routines which were previously inside the kernel (IIRC), but since they are only used on the X1000, it was wasteful to have them there for all platforms.

You should be able to boot with Update 2 without having this module active, though, although you won't have the benefit of the DMA code.
Thanks for hinting me into that directiton, as I said. After I put a ";" in front of pasemi_dma.resource it booted fine. This made me to investigate that line further - and I found a spelling mistake...
So that's probably not your real problem.
Indeed it was not firmware (CFE) nor amigaboot.of ;-)
BTW, not sure from your posts whether you already are aware, but AmigaBoot is not firmware, it's just a program called from CFE during the boot to give you a menu of possible configs to boot, and to load the kickmodules from the one you select.
Of course I am aware, I just forgot that kicklayout will be worked through before the actual Workbench/startup-sequence will be started...

thanx Gero
Hypex
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by Hypex »

nbache wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 11:28 pm The module simply contains some dma routines which were previously inside the kernel (IIRC), but since they are only used on the X1000, it was wasteful to have them there for all platforms.
That's unusual. Usually a define would switch it out. Given each machine need a custom kernel I would have thought it would be in the custom code for the X1000 kernel.

I'm still unsure of where to place that line for the driver module. I would have preferred the updater to simply replace the Kicklayout with a clean file, which is has in the past. Rather than prompt the user to modify it as it can easily break the whole system.
Raziel

Post by Raziel »

@Hypex

Actually it doesn't matter a single bit where the .kmod's are placed in kicklayout.

I was bored in my holidays and chaotically moved the stuff around sorting it alphabetically and hardware-wise (kernel, devices, usb, gfx, hardware stuff etc.)

It.does.not.matter!!!

All of the modules are loaded into memory before WB starts, so it's just logical.
As long as no mandatory kmod is missing, all will be fine!
People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Hypex
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by Hypex »

@Raziel

Just me being pedantic. I'm still trying to figure out why Update 2 freezes my Workbench. I must have a rare unsupported graphic card it doesn't like. 5450 works fine in Update 1 and 2. My current R7 250 works fine in Update 1 and freezes in 2. I've given up trying to locate the issue. I just run a hybrid mix of Update 1 and 2 components using the older kernel. I'll see if Update 3 changes anything when that comes along.
Raziel

Post by Raziel »

@Hypex

I think i missed the thread (or maybe i just can't rememeber) where you detailed your findings and problems.

Where does it stall?
Or does it crash?
Do you have a serial logging option?

I have debugged my X1000 so many times, i think there is nothing it could do i couldn't find in a matter of minutes/hours :-)
People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Hypex
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by Hypex »

Raziel wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 9:10 pm I think i missed the thread (or maybe i just can't rememeber) where you detailed your findings and problems.
I missed your reply until now. Doing it the "@" way doesn't give notification.

The thread is on AW below. It stalls on Workbench. As soon as it opens the screen. Sometimes a few icons display. But it soon freezes. I do have serial logging. There is no crash reported. The last lines are setting the pointer sprite and then nothing else.

I found I need to disable compositing and disabling interrupts also helps. There is some conflict with my R7 250 card and Update 2 Kickstart. No problem in Update 1.

Also, I tested my 5450, and it works fine with Update 2 so my Sapphire R7 250 has a rare hardware conflict it seems.

https://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/vi ... at&order=0