New PSU

AmigaOne X1000 platform specific issues.
musa

New PSU

Post by musa »

Hi
Has anyone changed the PSU on their X1000? I'm interested to hear which PSU they have used as a replacement. It would be great if someone could link to a product in the EU area
Have a nice day
Peter
AmigaX1000
Follow me on twitter @basjoo_dk
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Re: New PSU

Post by nbache »

Hi Peter

I put a Be Quiet Dark Power Pro 10 650W in mine ages ago, and it has been (and still is) running faultlessly and very quiet.

ProShop.dk used to have it, but it has been discontinued now.

But they have many similar Be Quiet models, so just try looking among the alternatives they list when you look up the Pro 10. I think there was a Pro 11 650W among them, which is probably what I'd select if I needed one today.

Best regards,

Niels
musa

Post by musa »

Thank you Niels
I found this on pro-shop "Dark Power Pro 11 650W Power supply - 650 Watt - 135 mm - 80" but it costs 1,514 Kr. (Is it the correct size for an amiga x1000? )
It is probably just over the top price of what I can afford.
My problem is that I'm not quite sure if it's my power supply that's dead or if it's a fault in the motherboard.
I have 1 sec light in LEDs 1 and 2 and then no power. If I try again a little later it will repeat itself.
I have for a while some errors which made me feel pretty sure that it is power supplies that are finished, but I guess and if I am wrong 1,514 kr is a lot of money to throw out. I had hoped to find something for 500, 600 kr, but you may be naive :)
I just have to go and think about it.
Thanks for your help Niels
AmigaX1000
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

You can probably find some cheaper ones which would be okay. I wanted specifically to make my X1000 as quiet as possible, so I went for this one in spite of the price. I think the size (power output, i.e. the 650W, I assume you mean) is right for mine, but I do have (IIRC) four separate HDs (or is it more?) and two optical drives inside, as well as a Radeon HD 6670. You'd probably also be able to go down to e.g. 500W if you have less gear inside; not sure which models are available for lower power ratings (PCs usually need more power than our machines ;-)).

Hopefully some other X1000 users can make recommendations as well - good luck!

P.S. If you were talking about the physical size, then yeah, it fits fine. It's a standard size.

Best regards,

Niels
musa

Post by musa »

Hi Niels
I've been looking at this. https://www.proshop.dk/Stroemforsyning/ ... ed/2686929
Does it meet the conditions to be put in an X1000.?
Have a nice day
Peter
AmigaX1000
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

I would think so. It looks like it has a few less cables for both types of peripheral power (SATA and the old 4-pin), but they should still be plenty for most people. The fan is 120mm as opposed to 135mm on the Pro11, and (maybe for that reason) the unit is a bit shorter. But the end face (where the mounting screws go) has the same dimensions, so it should mount just fine.

No guarantees, of course (I'm not an expert, just a user who has chosen and mounted PSUs for maybe 6 or 7 machines over the years :-)).

Anyway, ProShop have pretty decent service in my experience, and you do have the usual Danish cancelling rights in case it turns out not to be suitable after all.

Best regards,

Niels
musa

Post by musa »

hi Niels
Thanks for your help .
The power supply fits perfectly, but unfortunately it is my board that is broken.
I put the new power supply in and turned on the power and the same fault as before came. 1 sec light in links 1 and 2 and then the power goes out.
I discovered that if I take out all the pci/pci-e cards, the light in led 1 and 2 disappears and instead the come in led 3,4 and 5. Since I do not have graphics cards in the setup, I do not know how far the startup go. I then think there is something wrong in the pci section of the board. Many of the errors that have been in the past have been pci errors that disappeared again and then return again. The question is what am I doing now. At least it's beyond my ability to try more.
Thanks again for your advice with the power supply
Regards Peter
AmigaX1000
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

Oh, sorry to hear that.

I don't know much (anything) about diagnosing board errors like those. I think the LEDs are documented in the hardware manual, but beyond that, you need someone who knows the hardware better.

Maybe you should open a new thread with a title describing the problem as you see it now better (i.e. not something related to the PSU), then hopefully it will be noticed by people who can help.

Best regards,

Niels
musa

Post by musa »

Thanks Niels I will do that.
But I fear the worst

Have a nice day
Peter
AmigaX1000