RadeonHD & AmigaOS Cd

AmigaOne X1000 platform specific issues.
AmigaNG

RadeonHD & AmigaOS Cd

Post by AmigaNG »

Hi so I upgraded my X1000 with a Radeon 7970HD a while back,
just before I update to AmigaOs4.1FEupdate2 I thought Id best check my old AmigaOS 4.1 Update 7 setup works , that I had made when I last did a big update, so I can least boot into that and restore my current setup (AmigaOS4.1FEupdate1) backup that I've just made on to a USb stick, I forgot this was before I made the switch of graphic cards and so it wont boot into that due to old outdated Radeon drivers, (least I think that the issue) so is there a way or what file do I need to edit in AmigaOS 4.1 Update 7 files that I can access from my AmigaOS4.1FEupdate1 setup (are you following me?) :D

So I currently have
Current main setup: AmigaOs4.1 FE Update 1 with ES 1.5 newer Radeon Drivers
Backup/Partition setup: AmigaOs 4.1 Update 7 without Drivers

(do u think the old backup simple just no good any more? it basically the setup that Amigakit basically shipped with the X1000 just thought it be nice to always have that, plus no I no longer own the older gfx card, I should of perphasp kept it now.
Plus does the AmigaOS4.1 FE CD have the Radeon Driver (I think I remember reading it does have limiting one to allow you to do the install). Thanks
2012 - the year I got a new Amiga and the world ended.....a good year.
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Re: RadeonHD & AmigaOS Cd

Post by nbache »

Yes, the AmigaOS 4.1 FE CD has a limited driver. It's called RadeonHD.chip and resides in Kickstart. If you didn't have that in your old setup, remember to also make a line for it in your KickLayout.

But apparently you have the full driver on your current setup (same file, higher version). So why not copy that one over to the backup setup and see if it boots with that?

You may need to fiddle with your screenmode/monitor settings, but you should be able to get a usable WB display. If not, you could try (after booting from your current setup) copying over other files as well from your working setup to the backup, such as SYS:prefs/env-archive/sys/screenmode.prefs and Devs/Monitors/ (whatever file your have in there).

If you are using a higher screen resolution with the 7970 than you did before, maybe you also want to fix your WBPattern prefs (backdrop picture) etc.

But kudos for thinking about this before making big changes to your setup. And for making a backup. E.g. you may need to find your old ContextMenus.cfg from there after updating, in case you had made local changes or additions to that.

Best regards,

Niels
AmigaNG

Post by AmigaNG »

Cheers for the reply.

it is a shame that the OS is kinda broken up like this now, but as long as there are ways around it, its not the end of the world and there a great community support (tell you what it better than most other bigger industry's, so thanks again!)
2012 - the year I got a new Amiga and the world ended.....a good year.
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

BTW, maybe an even easier solution would be to create a new bootable partition - 500MB or 1 GB is probably enough - and copy your current FE upd1 system to it. Then test if you can boot from that.

Then you can apply update 2 to your current setup, while still having the fallback partition if you need to go back there.

Of course, it can only be done if you left some space unused (not used for partitions) on your drive.

Best regards,

Niels