x1000 Random resets.

AmigaOne X1000 platform specific issues.
AmigaNG

x1000 Random resets.

Post by AmigaNG »

Feel like I been really unluckily with my X1000 of late, judge by how few people post problems in here.

Any way last few times i gone on my X1000 it just randomly resets, no Guru or Grim Reapers, and it doesn't seem to matter what Im doing at the time. surf the net, working in hollywood designer, playing a game, or just on the desktop.

Now I'm thinking it could be battery time as I think it is two years since i replace it, but feel it should of lasted longer, I going to also give it a good clean out and ensure everything really plugged in, may of loosen something during my Fan replacement attempt maybe, but if its not that any ideas what / if any software could cause a reset that would'nt make Guru/Grim and happen just on the desktop? I do have Candy running wallpaper and the last major thing I did was update to the recent AmiCygnix. cheers
2012 - the year I got a new Amiga and the world ended.....a good year.
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Re: x1000 Random resets.

Post by nbache »

Battery is always a good bet, even if you think it "should be all right". You'd be surprised how often etc. etc.

Apart from that, my first attempt would be to stop running Candi for a while (make sure it is never started, nut just set to not do any eye-candy) and see if that makes a difference.

And my last input: I don't know where in the world you are, but around here, it has been quite hot recently. So make sure you have plenty of cooling in the system, and that all air intake filters and cooler ribs etc. are clean.

Best regards,

Niels
Raziel

Post by Raziel »

Reset?
Just that?
A complete cold reboot or just going black (dead) and needing a case power on?

If its the latter it's definitely not a software issue, but surely the hardware shutting down.
As Niels said, check the temperature (or better check the seating of your heatsink and fan).

The other possibility would be a faulty PSU, but that is already far fetched.

I never heard of a battery failure doing anything else than refuse to initially boot, don't think its able to cause a reset.

If you have a dead machine after letting it idle for some time be sure to shut down the screensaver, that program is evil in eating away a massive chunk of ram on going into saving mode (especially with huge resolutions used and since the x1000 cant use 100% of its installed memory it will silently die and never come back, until one case reboots)

PS: I have CANDI running 24/7...never had a problem with it (except the buggy installation and XML prefs handling)
People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
AmigaNG

Post by AmigaNG »

Yes it just resets, start booing up again. Its a cold reboot in that it goes all the way back to the X1000 logo slash screen, not just to the OS boot up screen like a soft reset would do.

I haven't had a chance to pull out my x1000 and check inside yet, I too find it unlikely to be battery, but I kinda thinking been that I cant remember when I did last change it I might of well.

It was a hot day, but not amazing hot,(live in the UK) is there a temperature monitor for X1000?

I have a CPU Ztool app that runs in the docky showing how much the CPU working, I did'nt cach how much it was being used at the time it reset but will see if i can catch it next time.

I'd be surpised if it was the PSU.

cheers for the help and suggestion, will keep you posted, hope to have a look at it over the weekend.
Raziel

Post by Raziel »

It was a hot day, but not amazing hot,(live in the UK) is there a temperature monitor for X1000?
Unfortunately not anymore, there was a tool called X1kTemp dock freely available, but you have to pay for it now.

What you can do (and at least check the temperature without load) is to go into the firmware (boot up, then press "F" on the OS chooser).
After you get the input cursor, type "show temp" and it will list all four temperatures (Case, CPU, Core 1 and 2 - they are called differently in the FW, iirc).

If those figures goes way beyond your ambient temperature (like say +10°C above it) then there's definitely something wrong with your heatsink/fan setup.
It should stay around a max of +5°C over your ambient temp without load as the highest figure.

PS: The original heatsink/fan combo wasn't the best, luckily it's pretty easy to replace the fan at least.
People are dying.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
AmigaNG

Post by AmigaNG »

So found X1K Temp
http://os4depot.net/?function=showfile& ... 1ktemp.lha

Cheers, tested today and my temp start off 49c for both CPU then quickly Cpu Core 1 goes to 55c and for some reason CPU core 2 goes to 59, I thought the Amiga only used one core, anyway when it hits 60c is when it crashing, which i guess is too high?

so I going to see if I can get hold of MagmaBreath,
http://mancave-ramblings.blogspot.com/2 ... chive.html

I've message the guy behind the product so hopefully I can get one, if not does anyone know of any other cpu coolers that fit the X1000, I know Amiga On Lake use to do something but I cant find it now.

Not taken my X1000 out yet to clean it as I thought no point if I can get hold of something like that and do it all then, Failing that I will maybe get a extra case fan for my Factual case and of course a really good clean out, I read here
http://amigax1000.blogspot.com/2013/09/ ... x1000.html
that this can solve the problem too, as I still have my case cover on, manly due to the noise of the dam little CPU fan.

Anyone know what CPU thermal paste Amigakit used? As an extra step I could do is take off CPU heatsink and remove / reapply high quality thermal paste.
Raziel

Post by Raziel »

@AmigaNG

60°C should not be a problem at all, this seems to be a software shutdown, but from what program?

Did you install all your software yourself, or did you machine came preinstalled?
People are dying.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

Raziel wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:52 pm @AmigaNG

60°C should not be a problem at all, this seems to be a software shutdown, but from what program?
Almost certainly from the X1kTemp docky itself.

You can configure some of its threshold temperatures in the tooltypes of the icon from which it is loaded (sadly not from within AmiDock, you have to go to the actual docky in Utilities/Dockies/), but I'm not sure if the "emergency" shutdown temperature is among them.

I stopped using it because it was much too fussy during warm summer periods.

Best regards,

Niels
Raziel

Post by Raziel »

@Niels

He only recently got the docky to check how high his temperature is going while under load to see if the temperature is causing the shutdown, Niels ;-)

That can't be it...of course, it can NOW, but not before...
People are dying.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

Raziel wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 10:02 pmThat can't be it...of course, it can NOW, but not before...
Exactly, that was my point. Just wanted to make sure this new "feature" wasn't mistaken for the original issue.

Edit: BTW, I think the accuracy of the measurements in X1kTemp might leave something to be desired. It's probably safer to measure by other means.

Don't know if the CFE interface is better?

Best regards,

Niels