x1000 Random resets.

AmigaOne X1000 platform specific issues.
tonyw
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Re: x1000 Random resets.

Post by tonyw »

The docky uses the CFE interface, so the uncertainty is the same.

I remember back when the X1000 was first released to testers and Joerg produced the X1kTemp docky, he warned us all that the interface was "uncalibrated" and the readings were to be taken as approximate only.

The "Core 2" temp always shows several deg higher than the "Core 1" temp, even while Core 2 is idle. 60 deg C is only warm for the X1000 CPU.

My X1000 occasionally shows Notifications about "temp higher than limits" (even recently during winter) and the readings show all zeroes, but it has never reset the machine. That would be counterproductive, anyway, it would be better to shut it down.

The limits set in the docky icon seem to be ignored in my machine. Even with limits set at 70-80 deg C, I still get notifications when the temp is around 60 deg (as it often is in summer).

Frankly, I can't see over-temp as being the cause of the original problem. I would be much more ready to blame the edge connectors on the memory DIMMs - mine generally need to be taken out, cleaned and the connectors on the motherboard brushed out every six months or so.
cheers
tony
Raziel

Post by Raziel »

tonyw wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 12:05 am The "Core 2" temp always shows several deg higher than the "Core 1" temp, even while Core 2 is idle.
Not for me.
It's quite the opposite..
Core 1 is always 2-3 degrees higher than Core 2, which is fine.
What version of x1ktemp you are using?
I remember that 53.5 fixed a mix up in the remote readings, which showed something similar. (Using 53.10 here)
What does the cfe reading show?
My X1000 occasionally shows Notifications about "temp higher than limits" (even recently during winter) and the readings show all zeroes, but it has never reset the machine.
Then something is definitely wrong on your setup.
I have set the docky to warn me when the temp hits 60°C, which I never reach, unless a fan or heatsink struggles or has died.
The limits set in the docky icon seem to be ignored in my machine. Even with limits set at 70-80 deg C, I still get notifications when the temp is around 60 deg (as it often is in summer).
Can you post your tooltypes?
Mine are:
REFRESH=50
SETENV=NO
FARENHEIT=NO
LOCAL_WARN=50
CPU_WARN=55
CORE1_WARN=60
CORE2_WARN=60
SYNC_POWEROFF=ON
Frankly, I can't see over-temp as being the cause of the original problem. I would be much more ready to blame the edge connectors on the memory DIMMs - mine generally need to be taken out, cleaned and the connectors on the motherboard brushed out every six months or so.
That sounds even more strange.
Why would a dodgy ram connector produce a reset.
Even if (and I'm picking up the heat issue again) the temperature in the case rises high enough to "work" on the DIMM connectors, I'd rather expect random crashes OR a complete shut-down, but not a reset.
People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

Raziel wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 9:18 am
I would be much more ready to blame the edge connectors on the memory DIMMs - mine generally need to be taken out, cleaned and the connectors on the motherboard brushed out every six months or so.
That sounds even more strange.
Why would a dodgy ram connector produce a reset.
To me, that sounds likely if e.g. some program code is corrupted by being read while the connection to the RAM is wobbling. The CPU might detect a bogus instruction or address which leads to a crash. If the situation is sufficiently unexpected, such a crash could be uncaught and run into a reset.

Best regards,

Niels
AmigaNG

Post by AmigaNG »

so I cleaned out my X1000 and left the case open just too see if it was temp issues, plus the days has been cooler in the uk recently, the docky handy as it does pop ups when it goes over 55C.
this time my system stayed around 49 to 55c never up to 60 and the system didnt crash over a hour of use, with me watching a youtube vid, and doing a bit of work/playing around with hollywood designer, so it looks like it might of been either dust or heat (it wasnt that dusty in there.)

hopefully Raziel got a cooler thart might solve and completly rule out heat issues :)

I was thinking of adding another fan, but notice there no more fan connections on the X1000, would a Fan splitter work?

cheers for your help guys.
2012 - the year I got a new Amiga and the world ended.....a good year.
Raziel

Post by Raziel »

I was thinking of adding another fan, but notice there no more fan connections on the X1000, would a Fan splitter work?
Yes, it does, got one myself.
Need to look it up, but i added a splitter cable to the fan controller that came with the original x1000 case and it works perfectly fine.

Once the heatsink arrives you can try to let it run without a fan attached first, as its huge compared to the original one...at least thrice the size.
Adding a fan later on is a piece of cake.
People are dying.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
AmigaNG

Post by AmigaNG »

Big Thanks to Raziel for the cooler!!! I installed the new cooler and sure enough its a good 10c lower and hell of a lot quieter!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uzXrLwh4qU&

not used the system long enough yet to know if its stop the crashing, but none yet so hear hoping.
Raziel

Post by Raziel »

@AmigaNG

Fingers crossed that it did fix the crashing and awesome to see the little beastie doings its share in another X1K again.

:-D

Have fun with it.
People are dying.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
AmigaNG

Post by AmigaNG »

just wanted to pop by and say, I think we got it! after a week of playing around with x1000 I havent had another crash, temps have creep up to as high as 56c on core2 but core1 not gone higher than 52c, so all good!!!! :D happy x1000 owner once again.