X1000 boots to black with Radeon R9 270X and 2.7 driver

AmigaOne X1000 platform specific issues.
Petrol
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Re: X1000 boots to black with Radeon R9 270X and 2.7 driver

Post by Petrol »

Hello,

Did you try to swap to the previous card?
I've faced some sort of what you're living here when I changed my graphics card. It's a huge one, and I touched sata cable when I mounted It. Result, boot process didnt work correctly.

Regards,
Hans
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by Hans »

epsilon wrote:Following your comment about CFE, I updated the CFE with the version from the a-eon website loaded from usb stick (which I am fairly sure was the same version that I already had), but the rom signature after flashing didn't match the a-eon cfe upgrade instructions of what should be there, no matter how many times I checked and double checked what I typed in (I have done it before). I must have retried 10-15 times without rebooting following every step carefully. After power off and power on, unsurprisingly it didn't boot.
You're probably not going to like hearing this, but I vaguely recall having a firmware update fail using a USB stick. It appeared to read the USB stick okay, but the ROM signature was wrong afterward. I think that I ended up ditching the USB stick, and using one of the other firmware update methods (either via TFTP or by writing the firmware to a CD and using that).
Epsilon wrote:I switched to the rescue jumper on the X1000 (never used it before) to boot the backup bios but it doesn't boot either.

So no X1000 any more - completely bricked. Was nice while it lasted. Time to cry I think. Wish I never tried to do this now.
So the backup ROM won't even work with your old Radeon HD 4xxx card? Ouch! I'm really sorry to hear this.

While your X1000 may be bricked for now, you know that it's due to a bad ROM. It could be removed from your machine and reflashed with suitable hardware. Or, maybe A-EON has preprogrammed ROMs that they could send.

Hans

P.S., It's a pity that you don't have a serial cable, as CFE outputs information to it during booting. If you had a serial cable and another computer, then you might be able to see how far the backup BIOS gets through booting, and what's going wrong.
http://hdrlab.org.nz/ - Amiga OS 4 projects, programming articles and more. Home of the RadeonHD driver for Amiga OS 4.x project.
broadblues
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by broadblues »

I suppose the backup BIOS miht be an older version? So Perhaps try installing one of your older gfx cards?

Just a thought although I have an X I mised the beta test phase so am abit blury on what might be affected by different CFE versions.
mbrantley
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by mbrantley »

I'm awfully sorry to know of Epsilon's troubles. I won't muddy up matters too much with my little difficulties, but I will give this short update. I returned the XFX R9 270X card locally today for a full cash refund and ordered an MSI R9 270 card online and sprung for Saturday delivery. So in 24 hours I will give that card a whirl. I do not know if the 270X card was defective or simply incompatible in some way. I did not test it in a PC -- only in the X1000 with AOS FE and with Ubuntu, and I could get it to work with neither.

Hope Epsilon is up and running again soon.
OoZic

Post by OoZic »

@Epsilon Might be just a little chance, but did you try removing the CF card to check if the CFE doesn't have a problem with that and hangs on it? Maybe the CF card got damaged in a kind of way making it not booting Linus also?
LyleHaze
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by LyleHaze »

Master Epsilon,
I am quite sorry to hear of your flash troubles.

My first advice: Please contact you Amiga dealer. They may be able to help, but the more things you try, the greater the chance of making the problem worse.

I don't think the flash is socketed, so swapping a new flash chip in won't happen. _BUT_ most boards today are built with a blank flash, and it is programmed in after the board is assembled. What I am suggesting is that getting your X1000 fixed MIGHT mean sending it off to Varisys for a re-flash.

I can't say for sure, but it's certainly worth asking your dealer about.

Unless it's some compatibility thing. If the older CFE can not deal with a newer graphics card.. those sorts of things are easy to forget about as we continually upgrade to newer and newer toys.

Good Luck!
Hypex
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by Hypex »

Epsilon also posted to your blog. Following on without a serial link you are in the dark. Even so without one you can still test. At this point I suggest you locate a compatible VGA card and memory known as working and tested in another machine if possible. To see any sign of life you will need both VGA and memory. FWIW I have tested NVidia cards as working on an X1000. Well CFE and Linux anyway and CFE is what you want right now.

Check here for more info on X!000 serial:
http://forum.hyperion-entertainment.biz ... =33&t=2209

This is the adaptor you need. I suggest getting one when you order your next X1000. Or get one now. :-)
http://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/cat ... ts_id=1062

Some tips here:
http://wiki.amigaos.net/wiki/AmigaOne_X1000

Also check any PDF guides you got with your X1000. There should be info on serial layout there as well. Good luck for now, hope it's all okay. Also check the battery! :-D
Last edited by Hypex on Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
broadblues
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by broadblues »

@Hypex
Actually he has the serial breakout , it's literally a cable he was missing and the shops were closed for easter last I spoke to him on IRC.
sundown
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by sundown »

I know of no one who has ever tried the firmware "rescue" feature with the x1000 till now. I'm wondering if it is even tested on new boards now to verify the backup rom is even programmed if ever needed.

Ken
X1000 - Antec Solo case, 4GB DDR2 mem, XFX R9 270 gfx card, Plextor DVD, 2 Samsung 1TB F3 HDD, RTL-8139 network card, Cooler Master Silent Pro 600W PSU
mbrantley
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by mbrantley »

Sundown, yeah I am most curious about that. I hope I never need the rescue firmware .... but I'd love to know the procedure is verified working.

Meanwhile, final update on my situation..... new MSI R9 270 card is installed and running without problems. Will never know if the earlier card I tried is faulty or incompatible, but that's no longer my problem in any case.