X1000 boots to black with Radeon R9 270X and 2.7 driver

AmigaOne X1000 platform specific issues.
Christopher Follett
AmigaKit
AmigaKit

Re: X1000 boots to black with Radeon R9 270X and 2.7 driver

Post by Christopher Follett »

@Epsilon.

If you have a Radeon 9250, you can try that.
If I recall, you have to boot with rescue, then switch jumper to main flash. Then flash it.
It will then flash. I use 256MB USB Stick all the time (maybe yours is very large) to update new NEMO boards, never had an issue here apart from two cases (my fault), where I had to use rescue, but I believe I was using 5450.

You should be able to set the no video jumper and boot that way from rescue flash and then use serial to see what your typing and fix it that way.
If the numbers dont match NEVER reboot the system, flash again until its correct.

If you still cant get it to work, I can send you my automated CFE batch flash. I use for every machine I assemble.
It will flash, check then print garbage (CFE bug). If numbers are correct, reboot and happy days.

@Hans.

All X1000 machines are flashed with latest CFE before shipping and they will never have an outdated firmware.
Crazy thing in all this, is the fact his machine was working, CFE saw card. Card was even seen and worked after kernel loaded and he got OS4.1 screen.

@Micheal and Sundown.

Rescue function works fine. As I said, I have used it on atleast two instances.
Resolute and Industrious
Grand ruler of the yellow people and the Ultimate Amiga Empire
http://www.ultimateamiga.co.uk (Home of SONY PSP Amiga Emulator and AMOS Factory)

http://www.amigakit.com - the Amiga store

New Products
Hans
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by Hans »

@Christopher Follet
Christopher Follett wrote:All X1000 machines are flashed with latest CFE before shipping and they will never have an outdated firmware.
Of they are, but I have no idea when he got his machine. He also doesn't have a serial cable, so I can't ask him for debugging information.
Christopher Follett wrote:Crazy thing in all this, is the fact his machine was working, CFE saw card. Card was even seen and worked after kernel loaded and he got OS4.1 screen.
That's not crazy at all.

What's really crazy is what happened with 6xxx cards with an older version of CFE. CFE also saw the card, and it displayed the CFE screen without any problem. Everything looked fine until part way through the AmigaOS boot process. There, it just stopped responding... I was convinced that my driver was at fault, until I decided to try the same card in my Sam460. There, it booted with the exact same driver with no problem whatsoever. That little saga (and assumption) cost me over a week of my life, and it's not the only time that UBoot/CFE/firmware issues have caused me a lot of grief. Do NOT underestimate just how strangely these cards can behave; especially the last few series.

Hans
http://hdrlab.org.nz/ - Amiga OS 4 projects, programming articles and more. Home of the RadeonHD driver for Amiga OS 4.x project.
Epsilon
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by Epsilon »

Christopher Follett wrote:@Epsilon.
If you have a Radeon 9250, you can try that.
If I recall, you have to boot with rescue, then switch jumper to main flash. Then flash it.
It will then flash. I use 256MB USB Stick all the time (maybe yours is very large) to update new NEMO boards, never had an issue here apart from two cases (my fault), where I had to use rescue, but I believe I was using 5450.
You should be able to set the no video jumper and boot that way from rescue flash and then use serial to see what your typing and fix it that way.
If the numbers dont match NEVER reboot the system, flash again until its correct.
If you still cant get it to work, I can send you my automated CFE batch flash. I use for every machine I assemble.
It will flash, check then print garbage (CFE bug). If numbers are correct, reboot and happy days.
I tried my radeon 9250 PCI, 5450 PCI-E, RV730 PCI-E gfx cards individually in the X1000 in both rescue and normal mode - no change. no screen comes up, no boot logo, no cfe. I outputted to VGA and DVI monitors to ensure if any output came up I would see it (the benefits of having two screens)

I used a 2GB USB stick to flash with as I know the cfe can't read the usb if bigger than that, and I don't have a smaller one. There were other files on the USB stick and perhaps that played a part - I don't know.

I am well aware of the importance of not rebooting if the flash doesn't work - I followed the instructions precisely and I have flashed the x1000 before successfully to enable the dual display. I checked and rechecked and repeated the process multiple times. Others in the community have kindly checked the output from the cfe screenshot I put on my blog to confirm that I did so, the commands I did were right and that the numbers coming back from the flash were repeatedly wrong. I tried 10 times at least that I counted. Then the power dropped briefly - I didn't power off by choice.

http://amigax1000.blogspot.com.au/2015/ ... works.html

I then switched the jumper to rescue mode, but in either mode I get the same non-booting system.

Sorry but I don't know which jumper is the "no video" jumper - never heard of it and I had a good look on the board itself trying to find it. Are you able to tell me where it is on the board?

If you are able to send the automated cfe batch flash to me that would be great - given the system is non-booting with non-working cfe does it still work?

I greatly appreciate all your help, and the help of the community in this forum and on irc. I hope we can get this sorted soon.

Catcha,
Epsilon
Raziel

Post by Raziel »

@Epsilon

Do the onboard LED's light up?
And if they do, which LED's light up?

I can't find a "No Video" jumper either, it's not printed in the manual aswell.
People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Petrol
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by Petrol »

@Epsilon

Check your sata cables, unplug and replug them. When I changed my graphics card for A radeon R9 280X Tri-X, I touched the sata connexions. Result no boot screen, I thought the card was faulty, I replaced my old card (RadeonHD 4650), and no boot screen! The blood froze in my veins. The only thing that could explains this was the sata cables. I unplugged and replugged them, boot screen appeared, ouf.

Regards,
Xavier.
Hypex
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by Hypex »

broadblues wrote:@Hypex
Actually he has the serial breakout , it's literally a cable he was missing and the shops were closed for easter last I spoke to him on IRC.
Okay that's not so bad. Well guess I need not mention null modem cables or serial laplink cables. Oh I just did. :-)

While I am at it. The serial debugging guide,.

http://wiki.amigaos.net/wiki/Advanced_S ... ging_Guide
Last edited by Hypex on Sun Apr 05, 2015 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hypex
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by Hypex »

sundown wrote:I know of no one who has ever tried the firmware "rescue" feature with the x1000 till now. I'm wondering if it is even tested on new boards now to verify the backup rom is even programmed if ever needed.

Ken
I tried and tested the rescue firmware. It does work.

I have found it can be touchy. When I was switching between firmwares, during power off obviously, this one time CFE didn't come up nor anytihng else. That was scary. Somehow it later came back.
Last edited by Hypex on Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Raziel

Post by Raziel »

Hypex wrote:When I was switching between firmwares, during power off obviously, this one time CFE didn't come up nor anytihng else. That was scarey. Somehow it later came back.
Nemo_X1000_reflash_v1.1.pdf

Page 4

If something went wrong
4. While the board is powered on, move the jumper back to the old (NORMAL) position.
This re-enables the flash ROM with the (defunct) firmware.
I've said it on IRC and i say it again...i wouldn't do that if you paid me money for it...well, if it was the price for an X5000...maybe

Anyway, that is one nasty way to secure a "Point of no return" for such a costly board (and i know that the same document suggests to leave that to your dealer)...still...
People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
PJS
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by PJS »

Hi Chris,
I'm very curious to hear about that option too... You have something
that works on a machine with dead firmware?

Obviously the firmware gets programmed somehow to begin with, but is it
something that requires the board going back to Varisys or can it be done
without special equipment, etc.?

If it does require equipment, is it possible that Varisys or their new
owner, Ultra, has a presence in Australia that can get the job done?
Ultra does claim to have "Geographic reach" and a bright blue color on
the island down under. ;)

Thanks Chris!

PJS
Christopher Follett
AmigaKit
AmigaKit

Post by Christopher Follett »

PJS wrote:Hi Chris,
I'm very curious to hear about that option too... You have something
that works on a machine with dead firmware?

Obviously the firmware gets programmed somehow to begin with, but is it
something that requires the board going back to Varisys or can it be done
without special equipment, etc.?

If it does require equipment, is it possible that Varisys or their new
owner, Ultra, has a presence in Australia that can get the job done?
Ultra does claim to have "Geographic reach" and a bright blue color on
the island down under. ;)

Thanks Chris!

PJS
Nothing special, just switch jumper, like posted in the post before yours.
You set it in rescue, then once in CFE, switch jumper and reflash. NEVER flash the rescue flash.

Epsilons board will be fine, he just needs to see what serial is showing. Also using no GFX (set no video jumper) should solve any issue with GFX cards.
Remember, he didnt screw up the rescue firmware only the normal firmware.

I must stress this, all non betatesters have the latest firmware, so there is NO need to mess with the flash at all.
If epsilon cant sort this, then its going to be a costly, in shipping, etc etc. Its a shame as the machine was working fine.
As hans said some cards (rare), just dont seem to work correctly (this is why we recommend tested cards).

Hypex wrote:
sundown wrote:I know of no one who has ever tried the firmware "rescue" feature with the x1000 till now. I'm wondering if it is even tested on new boards now to verify the backup rom is even programmed if ever needed.

Ken
I tried the and tested the rescue firmware. It does work.

I have found it can be touchy. When I was switching between firmwares, during power off obviously, this one time CFE didn't come up nor anytihng else. That was scarey. Somehow it later came back.
Never had that issue at all, its always booted fine. What your describing only happens when doing a standard reset (sometimes).
Resolute and Industrious
Grand ruler of the yellow people and the Ultimate Amiga Empire
http://www.ultimateamiga.co.uk (Home of SONY PSP Amiga Emulator and AMOS Factory)

http://www.amigakit.com - the Amiga store

New Products