Ventilation, and power cabling

AmigaOne X1000 platform specific issues.
kilaueabart

Re: Ventilation, and power cabling

Post by kilaueabart »

Code: Select all

I removed this panel via the 4 screws and voila air flow problem solved.
Doesn't seem to quite square with LyleHaze's advice. Now I'm a little worried again. I have two more of those square pieces on top.

On the other front, I ordered a molex-to-SATA converter from Amazon, fairly pleased with the 3-5 days for expected shipping date. I was able to cancel in time when I realized expected delivery date (late October or November) was a bit more important. So I went to Tiger Direct and found out that I had to choose between left-angled and right-angled (and maybe male or female molex), things that Amazon hadn't mentioned. So I'll have to open the thing again and see if I can guess what "left" and "right" mean. I imagine it's which way does the short stub turn.
Radio Shack proved worthless.
Aloha,
Bart
328gts

Post by 328gts »

kilaueabart wrote:

Doesn't seem to quite square with LyleHaze's advice. Now I'm a little worried again. I have two more of those square pieces on top.
removing just the side panel one immediately above the PA6T nicely did the job for me in solving my airflow problem else I would not have posted it here ;)

btw, don't worry be happy :D
A1-X1000 setup: Corsair GS800 800w PSU, Western Digital 250 GB SATA HDD (model:WD2500YS), 4GB Ram, Radeon HD7950-3GB GDDR5- Dual Slot, Lite-On RW DVD/CD, On-Board Nemo sound,8139B NIC, Catweasel MK4+
LyleHaze
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by LyleHaze »

328gts wrote:
kilaueabart wrote:

removing just the side panel one immediately above the PA6T nicely did the job for me in solving my airflow problem else I would not have posted it here ;)

btw, don't worry be happy :D
Whether it is important to filter your incoming air is a matter of preference. Millions of computers have worked great without any filters on the air intakes. I happen to be in a very dusty place, so I like filters just to keep the insides a bit cleaner.

"Don't worry, be happy" is likely the best answer. The CPU is rated for correct operation up to 105c, and no permanent damage until it gets into the 130s. I am in no hurry to run mine THAT hot, but it shows there is a LOT of room before high temperatures cause any problem.
:)
kilaueabart

Post by kilaueabart »

Addiitional note on the "power cabling" issue. I decided to use the DVD SATA power cable to power the SAM hard drive. When I detached and untangled the cord, I discovered that it has three SATA plugs on it. Unfortunately, they are too close together to connect the first one to the DVD and the second one to the original X1000 hard drive immediately below--the DVD's socket is on the back and the X1000's socket is around the corner and on the side--and leave the third for SAM. I ended up with the end plug on the SAM, the second on X1000, and the third dangling uselessly in space.

On the ventilation front, I haven't put the sides back on yet, so it is getting REALLY ventilated right now.

On the two bootable hard drives side (new here), DM2 could distinguish DH0 ("System:") from DH0.1 ("OS4.1:") OK, but clicking DH3 and DH3.1 both brought up the same "Data:," so I wasn't initially able to transfer files. I renamed all the SAM stuff as "SAM...:" and changed their DH names by 4 (i.e., what was SAM's DH0: is now DH4:, etc.). If I ever replace the drive for use in the SAM I'm sure that's going to be an annoyance, but I'm not really planning to do so. Eventually I'll clear the drive and use if for Linux and maybe system backup as well.
Aloha,
Bart