Ventilation, and power cabling

AmigaOne X1000 platform specific issues.
kilaueabart

Ventilation, and power cabling

Post by kilaueabart »

Opened my X1000 this afternoon to add the hard drive I had just removed from my SAM 460ex, and got two surprises.

The first surprise was noticing that all the ventilation holes on the box are tightly sealed. (I had vaguely noticed that fact when I first got the machine and had to open it for I-don't-remember-what reason, but had forgotten.) I don't understand where the fan gets any air to blow in or out, and indeed I feel almost no air movement if I put my hand back there. Is ventilation bad for the X1000? Or is it somehow tightly controlled?

The other surprise was finding no power cable for my hard drive. There was an extra molex connector or two, but no SATA. I will get one as soon as possible, but if I can't find one locally tomorrow, would it be safe to temporarily use the one now powering the DVD drive?
Aloha,
Bart
LyleHaze
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Re: Ventilation, and power cabling

Post by LyleHaze »

I am not the case expert (do we have one?), but I can tell you a bit about the X1000 case.
It is a large case, and can support a LOT of different options, including enough fans to make it hover a few inches over your desk.
The Nemo board does not generate a lot of heat, so we really don't need all those extra fan spaces.

They are best left closed instead of open, because the "cooling plan" uses fans to exhaust warm air, and we have filter screens over the intakes.
So leaving "extra" fan openings unblocked would allow unfiltered air into the case.

I would be extra worried about opening the top fan holes, as that might allow spilled liquids into the case.

Note: The power supply is the warmest part of the case, and it has it's own "private" air flow. It's easy to find the exhaust out the back, but the
intake (and filter) are UNDER the power supply. Pulling that filter for cleaning every few months is a good idea.

The other filters you'll want to clean are at case Front, under the optical drive. I have not yet figured out how to remove them easily.

And about the missing drive power. I can't say for sure, as we might have different power supplies, but most of the cables route UNDER the Nemo mounting panel, and you might have a few extra cables back there that were not pulled out because they were not needed. Try removing the OTHER panel, Opposite the door you open to reach the motherboard. You might get lucky and find everything you need there.

Have Fun!
LyleHaze
ssolie
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by ssolie »

If a cable is "missing" and it came from AmigaKit then you need to contact them straight away to figure this out (talking about X1000 systems only).
ExecSG Team Lead
kilaueabart

Post by kilaueabart »

Thanks for setting my mind at ease about the ventilation. I think I'd better find a way to raise the box off the floor, as it is sitting on carpet and that might not leave a lot room for clean air to the power supply.

I did have both sides off, in the search for the needed cable. Unfortunately there was so much cable tightly bound that I had to cut the cable tie to see what was going on. That is something else I will need to replace.

There were a couple of PATA cables, if I counted right. (Early dementia sometimes gets me lost between 2 and 3, and for all I know between 1 and 2), and I'm pretty sure more than one Molex that I will get an adapter to SATA for.
Aloha,
Bart
LyleHaze
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by LyleHaze »

I think I'd better find a way to raise the box off the floor, as it is sitting on carpet and that might not leave a lot room for clean air to the power supply.
Good idea. And I mentioned the filter because the "under" filter for the power supply is often overlooked. Out of sight, out of mind.

I wish I could give you a definite count of how many drive power connections you have, but as I mentioned before, I can't even be sure we have the same power supplies. I am running fairly light with 1 PATA hard drive, 1 SATA hard drive (original) and one SATA Optical drive(original).

Have Fun,
LyleHaze
ddni

Post by ddni »

My spare Internal power cables were missing in my X1000. A quick message to AmigaKit saw them dispatched in my next order.
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

LyleHaze wrote:The other filters you'll want to clean are at case Front, under the optical drive. I have not yet figured out how to remove them easily.
Neither have I. As far as I can tell, the only way is to unscrew the four screws holding each of them. Well, in the standard config (AFAIK), there is only a fan behind one of those two doors, so check where it is before you start removing screws.

Best regards,

Niels
Christopher Follett
AmigaKit
AmigaKit

Post by Christopher Follett »

nbache wrote:
LyleHaze wrote:The other filters you'll want to clean are at case Front, under the optical drive. I have not yet figured out how to remove them easily.
Neither have I. As far as I can tell, the only way is to unscrew the four screws holding each of them. Well, in the standard config (AFAIK), there is only a fan behind one of those two doors, so check where it is before you start removing screws.

Best regards,

Niels
You need to pull the front off, if I recall. On the newer cases the door unclips and you can then unclip the fans. Much better idea.
Resolute and Industrious
Grand ruler of the yellow people and the Ultimate Amiga Empire
http://www.ultimateamiga.co.uk (Home of SONY PSP Amiga Emulator and AMOS Factory)

http://www.amigakit.com - the Amiga store

New Products
328gts

Post by 328gts »

kilaueabart wrote:Opened my X1000 this afternoon to add the hard drive I had just removed from my SAM 460ex, and got two surprises.

The first surprise was noticing that all the ventilation holes on the box are tightly sealed. (I had vaguely noticed that fact when I first got the machine and had to open it for I-don't-remember-what reason, but had forgotten.) I don't understand where the fan gets any air to blow in or out, and indeed I feel almost no air movement if I put my hand back there. Is ventilation bad for the X1000? Or is it somehow tightly controlled?

The other surprise was finding no power cable for my hard drive. There was an extra molex connector or two, but no SATA. I will get one as soon as possible, but if I can't find one locally tomorrow, would it be safe to temporarily use the one now powering the DVD drive?
I just recently had an issue with high temps from the CPU temp docky after many days of keeping my X running. After opening my case to clean the filters I noticed that the side of the case had a plastic square piece that was bolted right over the the side panel (see pic below). I had always thought this was just a filter screen but the back was solid plastic so it was impossible for any air flow to occur. I removed this panel via the 4 screws and voila air flow problem solved.

A1-X1000 setup: Corsair GS800 800w PSU, Western Digital 250 GB SATA HDD (model:WD2500YS), 4GB Ram, Radeon HD7950-3GB GDDR5- Dual Slot, Lite-On RW DVD/CD, On-Board Nemo sound,8139B NIC, Catweasel MK4+
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

Christopher Follett wrote:You need to pull the front off, if I recall. On the newer cases the door unclips and you can then unclip the fans. Much better idea.
Aha. Yeah, that's what I get for being an early bird, I guess :-D.

Best regards,

Niels