Do PCIe Serial Port cards work in X1000 ?

AmigaOne X1000 platform specific issues.
tonyw
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Re: Do PCIe Serial Port cards work in X1000 ?

Post by tonyw »

Good thing I read this.

To support your card would need full hardware specs of the chipset. It *might* be possible to get a card whose chipset works like one of those already supported, but basically the driver looks up the type of machine that it is running on, then switches operation to suit the known chipset in that machine.

If there is a common card that lots of people would like to support, (and assuming I can get one myself) then I'll have a look into it.

[edit]
Jeez, that thing's expensive! $63 for a card with a single chip on it!
Can't seem to find one here in Australia.
[/edit]
cheers
tony
mechanic

Post by mechanic »

tonyw wrote:Good thing I read this.

To support your card would need full hardware specs of the chipset. It *might* be possible to get a card whose chipset works like one of those already supported, but basically the driver looks up the type of machine that it is running on, then switches operation to suit the known chipset in that machine.
You said "already supported"...... which are what?
If there is a common card that lots of people would like to support, (and assuming I can get one myself) then I'll have a look into it.
I did not pay anywhere near that price.

The reason I took an interest in this particular card is the 16950 is a
separate chip from the PCIe chip and it was the only one I could find that
is supposed to work with the 2.6 Linux kernel, and right now I don't have the
2.6 kernel on the X1000,,,,, figures.

This week I will be able to borrow another 'single' chip card so before getting
nailed down to the one I have perhaps we should wait for results.

I would really like to get something like the one in the link below as it would
fit right in with another project I'm fiddling with and having a combo card
seems more useful.

http://www.siig.com/it-products/serial- ... -pcie.html

I'll get back to you ASAP.

Regards
Len
A-Eon A1X1000 ATI HD6850, Creative SB1570 PCIe, RTL8139 net PCI.
daz
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by daz »

tonyw wrote:Good thing I read this.

It has 16950 ports on. These are backwardly compatible with 16450/16550/16750 - and can use the same code as used for the X1000's / A1/ Peg2 serial ports. This is why I pointed him in your direction, adding new ID's to serial device is all that should be required.
That's the thing about PC serial port cards - they almost all have the same 8 register hardware map. It's only Amigas that do things differently!

Regards
Darren
tonyw
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by tonyw »

OK, if it's the same chip as used in one or more of the *supported motherboards, then it's just a matter of addressing it.

As I said, the driver does not scan the PCI bus looking for devices, it reads the machine type from the Exec, looks up a table based on the machine type, then reads the PCI bus to see if the device is there. I'll take a look at the code and see what might be done to *scan* the bus as well (or instead).

*Supported motherboards:
MACHINETYPE_BLIZZARDPPC,
MACHINETYPE_CYBERSTORMPPC,
MACHINETYPE_AMIGAONE,
MACHINETYPE_SAM440,
MACHINETYPE_PEGASOS2,
MACHINETYPE_X1000,
MACHINETYPE_SAM460,
cheers
tony