CFE fails to start with KVM switch

AmigaOne X1000 platform specific issues.
marcus

CFE fails to start with KVM switch

Post by marcus »

I have an ATEN USB KVM switch which I use to share keyboard, mouse, screen and audio between the X1000 and another computer. However, if I connect the USB cable from the KVM switch to USB port 1 (where the keyboard is supposed to go), then CFE never gets around to displaying the boot menu (the splash is displayed though). My current workaround is to connect the KVM switch to a different port, and a second keyboard to port 1, but that feels kind of ridiculous (the whole point of the KVM switch is that I should not have to have multiple e.g. keyboards).

I'm guessing that it is the hub support in CFE which is lacking (if I disconnect the main keyboard (which is really a keyboard/mouse wireless combo) from the KVM switch and connect it directy to port 1 on the X1000, it works). When using the KVM switch, the keyboard appears as being behind two levels of hubs, one USB 2.0 hub, and then one USB 1.0 hub (meaning that Translators are involved). But in order to examine this further, I guess I'd need to add some debug traces to CFE. Is the CFE sourcecode available so that I can investigate, and possibly fix, the problem myself?

For the curious, this is what lsusb -t looks like on the other computer:

Code: Select all

/:  Bus 01.Port 1: Dev 1, Class=root_hub, Driver=ehci_hcd/5p, 480M
    |__ Port 1: Dev 2, If 0, Class=hub, Driver=hub/4p, 480M
        |__ Port 4: Dev 19, If 0, Class=hub, Driver=hub/4p, 12M
            |__ Port 1: Dev 20, If 0, Class=HID, Driver=usbhid, 1.5M
            |__ Port 1: Dev 20, If 1, Class=HID, Driver=usbhid, 1.5M
Calgor
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Re: CFE fails to start with KVM switch

Post by Calgor »

I have an Aten KVM switch that I have to connect via a USB 1.1 hub for it to work in the USB slot one would usually plug in the keyboard as you have described.

Can you try to boot to the CFE command prompt without the Aten KVM connected, and then connect it to the above mentioned "keyboard" USB slot on the motherboard to see what message CFE provides?

If it is the same problem I have seen, you should see a similar message to "ehci: aynch list not enabled" after plugging in the KVM, after which CFE will lock up. There is a BugZilla entry for this.
Amiga 4000T: CSPPC 604e@233/060@50 146MB RAM/CVPPC/Mediator/Radeon 256MB/Realtek 8029AS/TerraTec Solo1-N/Picasso IV (Paloma Pablo Concierto)/Deneb/ZorRAM 256MB/Indivision AGA MKII/OS4.xBETA/OS4.1u4/OS3.9BB2
AmigaONE X1000: Nemo 2.1 PA6T-1682M@1.8 2GB RAM/Radeon HD 4770 512MB/Catweasel MK4+/Audigy 2 ZS/Realtek 8139D/OS4.xBETA/OS4.1u5
marcus

Post by marcus »

Hi. Thanks for your reply.
Can you try to boot to the CFE command prompt without the Aten KVM connected, and then connect it to the above mentioned "keyboard" USB slot on the motherboard to see what message CFE provides?
Very interresting. If I do this, not only does the CFE not lock up, but I'm actually able to use the keyboard with CFE. Messages printed:

Code: Select all

USB: new device connected to bus 1 hub 1 port 1 (full speed)
USB bus 1 device 2: vendor 0409 product 005A class 09: USB Hub
USB: new device connected to bus 1 hub 2 port 4 (full speed)
USB bus 1 device 3: vendor 0557 product 8021 class 09: USB Hub
USB: new device connected to bus 1 hub 3 port 1 (low speed)
USB bus 1 device 4: vendor 046D product C505 class 03: Human-Interface Device
USBHID: Keyboard Configured.
Now, I notice that the first hub is presented as "full speed", not "high speed", so the port seems to have been forced to USB 1 mode (which is what your USB 1 hub would also do), removing the need to deal with Translators. I'm afraid I don't have any USB 1 hubs, so I can't try your workaround, but I imagine that it would work. I'll try to reclaim my Bugzilla access and take a look at the ticket.

Thanks again.
Calgor
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by Calgor »

Yes, it could be the reason it works after you have plugged it in (i.e. USB1.x instead of USB2 ehci). I did not notice anyone having such an issue with USB 1.x KVMs/hubs.

Are you able to capture the debug output from CFE and see if you get the ""ehci: aynch list not enabled" message when it is plugged in on power up?

Also what model is your Aten KVM? Mine is the Aten CS1734B.
Amiga 4000T: CSPPC 604e@233/060@50 146MB RAM/CVPPC/Mediator/Radeon 256MB/Realtek 8029AS/TerraTec Solo1-N/Picasso IV (Paloma Pablo Concierto)/Deneb/ZorRAM 256MB/Indivision AGA MKII/OS4.xBETA/OS4.1u4/OS3.9BB2
AmigaONE X1000: Nemo 2.1 PA6T-1682M@1.8 2GB RAM/Radeon HD 4770 512MB/Catweasel MK4+/Audigy 2 ZS/Realtek 8139D/OS4.xBETA/OS4.1u5
marcus

Post by marcus »

When booting with the KVM plugged in port 1, there are no traces printed at all. Just the gray X1000 logo screen. Maybe there is something printed on a UART somewhere, I haven't really examined all the mainboard pin headers yet...

My ATEN is the Cubiq CS1762A. It's nice because it supports both analog and digital monitors (full DVI-I).
Calgor
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by Calgor »

Ah, the Aten CS1764A (4 port version of yours) is the DVI-I version of mine (except it misses the OSD and mouse port switching). You have a good KVM there and I should expect behaviour should correlate with mine. I would consider the Dual Link DVI version of an Aten 4 port KVM, the CS1784A, in future. I think I did not go for the CS1764A as it was more expensive and required more money for adapters for VGA (which is most of my machines).

Does your Aten KVM support having as *input* VGA graphics cards (or does it only support VGA *output* monitors with an optional cable)? How would one go about having a VGA input and DVI-D output?

Yes, the early CFE output goes to the serial port header. I presume you do not have one of these adapters from AmigaKit which would enable you to capture the early CFE output:

http://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/cat ... ts_id=1062

However, I thought there might somehow be a way to see the early CFE output on the screen if someone can suggest a way?
marcus

Post by marcus »

Calgor wrote:Does your Aten KVM support having as *input* VGA graphics cards (or does it only support VGA *output* monitors with an optional cable)
Of course. That's how I connect it now to the X1000; since my RadeonHD card does not have a DVI-I port (it has DVI-D and VGA), I connect the DVI-I cable to the VGA port using an adaptor.
Calgor wrote:How would one go about having a VGA input and DVI-D output?
Huh? That wouldn't work. The output carries whatever signals you input on the selected input port. If you want to use an analog monitor, you need to feed DVI-A into the switch. If you want to use a digital monitor, you need to feed DVI-D into the switch. If your gfx card has a real DVI-I port with both analog and digital signals (like my MacMini G4 has), then just connect that and you are set.
Calgor
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by Calgor »

Thanks for the clarifications regarding the Aten KVMs. It was not clear to me from the documentation, mainly because the higher model CS1784 says you need a custom DVI-I cable to be able to use analog output, whereas your model's manual is silent on how to hook it up. Bit silly if their custom dual link DVI cable for the CS1784 does not carry the analog signal as the standard allows for it.

One annoying thing about my Aten is that if I turn off the power to it, it makes this ticking sound if I leave a computer on (with its still USB connected to the custom KVM cable). Do you have this problem with yours?
marcus

Post by marcus »

Regarding the supplied cabling: Yes, it is exacly that silly. The switches are shipped with DVI-D cabling, and you have to buy the correct cables separately. It was also a bit difficult to find out what replacement cables to buy, because ATENs compatibility table only listed DVI-D cables as compatible... After talking to customer support I bought 2L-7D02UI cables, and they work fine (to make things even more confusing, the reseller called these cables "DVI-D 18 pin" even though they are in fact DVI-I 22 pin).

Well, I guess the supplied DVI-D cables will come in handy when/if I get a digital monitor, because as I said before the RadeonHD in the X1000 has a DVI-D only port, so a DVI-I cable will not fit in the DVI socket (the four analog holes are plugged/non-existant)... Maybe that is also the real reason for them to ship DVI-D cables instead of DVI-I with the switch.

I've never heard any clicks from my switch, but neither have I had it connected to any powered computers while it being off itself. I think the manual explicitly says that you're not supposed to do that, and that you are supposed to first turn off all the computers if you're going to power down the switch. Personally I've never had a reason to turn it off (except to connect a new computer). :-)

I have noticed another rather strange thing though. If my X1000 is turned off (hard power switch on the back set to 0, power cord removed), it seems like the KVM switch is powering the fans inside the X1000 through the monitor port (and the RadeonHD PCI-express card)! If I remove the monitor cable, the fans stop, but if I plug it back in they start rotating again... Very weird.
Calgor
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by Calgor »

So the cable mystery is solved! There however is no custom Dual Link DVI-I cable for the CS1784A... so would have to additionally purchase the same Single Link DVI-I you specified if I was to get the CS1784A (after checking with Aten support). Too expensive for me at the moment.

Back to the original topic... if anyone else knows how to capture early CFE output without a serial adapter cable? Maybe not possible.