YAM waiting for user password?

AmigaOne X1000 platform specific issues.
AmigaDave

YAM waiting for user password?

Post by AmigaDave »

First let me say that my short term memory is not what I would call good, or great.

When starting YAM on my X1000, for what I believe to be my first use of it (see above statement about my memory), YAM opens a window asking for a password.

Since I believe this to be my first use of YAM on my X1000, or any Amiga computer for many years, I don't have a password to enter into that window and can't go any further in trying to set up YAM so I can send and receive emails on my X1000. I have set up Simple Mail to receive emails, but have not figured out what I have done wrong in my setting up of my email accounts in Simple Mail, because I have not been able to Send any emails out from that program. That is why I wanted to try YAM, to see if I would have better luck in setting it up to both Receive & Send emails.

Any ideas why YAM is asking for a password, when to my knowledge, I have not used it yet on this computer?

Thanks
Proud owner of 10+ Commodore Amiga 680x0 computers
First Contact AmigaOne X1000 Dual Core 1.8GHz PA6T w/OS4.1FE
Dual 2.7GHz G5 PowerMac w/MorphOS3.7
1.5GHz G4 PMac MDD w/MorphOS3.7
1.5GHz G4 MacMini w/MorphOS3.7
17" 1.67GHz G4 PBooks w/MorphOS3.7
Efika 5200b w/MorphOS3.7
FPGA Arcade Replay w/AmigaOS3.x
trevordick
A-Eon Technology
A-Eon Technology

Re: YAM waiting for user password?

Post by trevordick »

AmigaDave,

Strange I have not noticed this before. As a test, I've have just started YAM a virgin AmigaOS4.1 Update 5 partition and do not get asked for a password.

Trevor
I'm just Breezin'
ChrisH
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by ChrisH »

I use SimpleMail, but it sounds like YAM is asking for a password to be able to download your emails? What happens if you cancel the requester?
tboeckel
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by tboeckel »

AmigaDave wrote:When starting YAM on my X1000, for what I believe to be my first use of it (see above statement about my memory), YAM opens a window asking for a password.
When exactly does ask YAM you for a password? Right during the startup phase with only the splash window being visible, or when YAM tries to download mails (the main window should be visible here already)?

The first one is your user password (if you set any) just to "log" into YAM. But since you are running YAM for the first time it is impossible that there is any password required.

The second one is the password required to log in at your mail provider's POP3 server. If you did not enter that password in YAM's configuration window before you will be asked as soon as it is required during the mail download process.
AmigaDave

Post by AmigaDave »

I think I will just delete YAM and re-install it to see what happens. If it asks for a password again right at the start up of the program, I will ask for additional help. As I don't remember ever using YAM on my X1000 before, I am puzzled that it would ask for a password, unless AmigaKit did some kind of testing with it and forgot to revert it to it's original state.

Thanks for the replies, I will check it out tomorrow with a fresh install of YAM.
Proud owner of 10+ Commodore Amiga 680x0 computers
First Contact AmigaOne X1000 Dual Core 1.8GHz PA6T w/OS4.1FE
Dual 2.7GHz G5 PowerMac w/MorphOS3.7
1.5GHz G4 PMac MDD w/MorphOS3.7
1.5GHz G4 MacMini w/MorphOS3.7
17" 1.67GHz G4 PBooks w/MorphOS3.7
Efika 5200b w/MorphOS3.7
FPGA Arcade Replay w/AmigaOS3.x