Printer for the X1000

AmigaOne X1000 platform specific issues.
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Re: Printer for the X1000

Post by nbache »

musa wrote:@ Niels I followed your instructions and have come so far to my network printer says receiving data. However, nothing happens so I suppose that the printer can not translate the data. I think I will look for a newer network printer.
I don't know the printer you mentioned above, does it understand Postscript at all? If not, you of course need to use another driver (if one exists for AmigaOS) instead of Postscript in Prefs/Printer. Alternatively, if you're getting a new printer anyway, go for one that understands Postsctript, it will save you a lot of trouble, both when printing from Amigas and from other platforms.

Best regards,

Niels
sundown
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by sundown »

Personally, I can't afford a $500 network color laser & I don't want a B/W only printer. I see network printers for under $100, so just wondering if anyone has a cheaper one working with the Amigas & PCs.

Ken
X1000 - Antec Solo case, 4GB DDR2 mem, XFX R9 270 gfx card, Plextor DVD, 2 Samsung 1TB F3 HDD, RTL-8139 network card, Cooler Master Silent Pro 600W PSU
musa

Post by musa »

nbache wrote:I don't know the printer you mentioned above, does it understand Postscript at all? If not, you of course need to use another driver (if one exists for AmigaOS) instead of Postscript in Prefs/Printer. Alternatively, if you're getting a new printer anyway, go for one that understands Postsctript, it will save you a lot of trouble, both when printing from Amigas and from other platforms.

Best regards,

Niels
Hello
I have no problems printing from my ubuntu on it but I do not think I get it to work from my Amiga. Thank you for your help I've gotten a little more understanding of the problem and what to look for.
Peter
AmigaX1000
Follow me on twitter @basjoo_dk
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

sundown wrote:Personally, I can't afford a $500 network color laser & I don't want a B/W only printer.
Understood. I mostly justify ours by the fact that both my wife and I can use it, and also from our work PCs when we work from home occasionally.
I see network printers for under $100, so just wondering if anyone has a cheaper one working with the Amigas & PCs.
I used to use a Canon S630 together with a cheap(ish) print server to more or less the same effect. It was supported driver-wise by a recent version of TurboPrint, and I then forwarded the output in much the same way as described previously, using lpr.device. Something like that might be a cheaper alternative. It did work without problems from my wife's PC as well.

The print server I used was a D-Link DP-G321. It had both wired and wireless LAN connection, although I never got the wireless part to work. I'm sure there are cheaper alternatives out there as well.

Best regards,

Niels
voxel
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by voxel »

daz wrote:I have a couple of Canon Inkjets that I use, at the moment I have an iP4200 attached, via USB. I also have a S600 which normally lives with my Classic.
I use this driver that I wrote: canon600 which works at densities 1 and 2. (...must get round to updating it)
Darren
hello darren ^^)

do you use the canon 600 driver with the iP4200 too ?
I have a Canon iP4000R there that is USB+ethernet+wifi, haven't tested it with you canon600 driver, but will do asap if that's work ^^)

please can you update your driver to support all resolutions, borderless and automatic double sided printing of the iP4000R too ? that will be great !
and I will be more than happy to do the betatests for you ^^)

thanks a lot by advance ^^

PS : where did you find the programmers' docs for the canon printers ??? I've asked Canon so many times to get it and just never got a reply... :-(
Image Amigalement,
Jean-François "voxel" Bachelet, Amiga NUTS since 1985.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Welcome to Happy Computing : Amiga! (© 2K4-2k99 voxel)
musa

Post by musa »

well I finally got solved my problem with the printer. I bought an HP Photosmart 6510 E printer. That way I can save in Word format in Abiword and send the document via mail to my printer :) I can also print directly over the local network via netprinter device and hp photosmart driver from os4depot.net But not from Abiword. That triggers an error in netprinter device.Gmail to printer from Timberwolf or MuiObw does not work on the Amiga ,Get a missing data error. It works from Linux Windows and android . But Yam , can easily handle it so the problem is not so large.
AmigaX1000
trevordick
A-Eon Technology
A-Eon Technology

Post by trevordick »

musa wrote:well I finally got solved my problem with the printer. I bought an HP Photosmart 6510 E printer. That way I can save in Word format in Abiword and send the document via mail to my printer :) I can also print directly over the local network via netprinter device and hp photosmart driver from os4depot.net But not from Abiword. That triggers an error in netprinter device.Gmail to printer from Timberwolf or MuiObw does not work on the Amiga ,Get a missing data error. It works from Linux Windows and android . But Yam , can easily handle it so the problem is not so large.
Thanks for the info.

Trevor
I'm just Breezin'
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

I'm using an HP Photosmart C4280 printer, and it works very well under AmigaOS 4.1 with the HP driver. I can print PDF documents without any problem, I can print also from CygnusEd, but it freezes when I try to print something from YAM!
To Be A True Adventurer, You Ought To Play Real Text Adventures
musa

Post by musa »

Phantom wrote:I'm using an HP Photosmart C4280 printer, and it works very well under AmigaOS 4.1 with the HP driver. I can print PDF documents without any problem, I can print also from CygnusEd, but it freezes when I try to print something from YAM!
Are you printing net or usb?
AmigaX1000
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

That model doesn't have WiFi printing, so USB; but I'm planning to buy a brand new WiFi one in black color to match everything in my living room. :)
To Be A True Adventurer, You Ought To Play Real Text Adventures