OpenGL support for Radeon 9250 PCI on X1000

AmigaOne X1000 platform specific issues.
Epsilon
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

OpenGL support for Radeon 9250 PCI on X1000

Post by Epsilon »

Hi there,

I noticed on Trevors blog recently that he installed a Radeon 9250 PCI card into his X1000 to get 3d drivers and OpenGL support. Very interesting for me!

I have a brand new ATI Radeon 9250 PCI card (256MB) and would like to do this as well, so I can play the OS4 OpenGL games on my X1000 while waiting for the updated drivers for the included first contact gfx card.

Can someone here please point me in the direction of how to obtain the drivers and get this setup working for me too? Thanks very much for any help.

Catcha,
Epsilon
Hans
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Re: OpenGL support for Radeon 9250 PCI on X1000

Post by Hans »

Epsilon wrote:Hi there,

I noticed on Trevors blog recently that he installed a Radeon 9250 PCI card into his X1000 to get 3d drivers and OpenGL support. Very interesting for me!

I have a brand new ATI Radeon 9250 PCI card (256MB) and would like to do this as well, so I can play the OS4 OpenGL games on my X1000 while waiting for the updated drivers for the included first contact gfx card.

Can someone here please point me in the direction of how to obtain the drivers and get this setup working for me too? Thanks very much for any help.
You already have the Warp3D drivers that are needed. I expect that the guide on how to set it up will be released soonish.

Hans
http://hdrlab.org.nz/ - Amiga OS 4 projects, programming articles and more. Home of the RadeonHD driver for Amiga OS 4.x project.
trevordick
A-Eon Technology
A-Eon Technology

Post by trevordick »

Hans wrote:
Epsilon wrote:Hi there,

You already have the Warp3D drivers that are needed. I expect that the guide on how to set it up will be released soonish.

Hans
Yes it will. ;-) It has already been released to the A1-X1000 beta testers. Just waiting for their feedback before it is released to "First Contact" owners.

Trevor
I'm just Breezin'
Epsilon
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by Epsilon »

@trevordick

Thanks for this confirmation of a guide on the way soon. I look forward to the setup guide for the dual display - I am very keen to have 3D support do I can play a lot of the games SAM owners can play that I am currently missing out on! I know this as I used to play some of these games on my dead SAM440ep and I can't at the moment on the X1000...

On a related topic, I noticed when adding another hard disk the other day (the first time I opened my X1000) that both PCI slots are full, one with ethernet card and one with a sound card. My understanding is that the onboard sound card and ethernet port do not have drivers yet? Is this correct? I assume this is the case since these additional cards were included.

If true, then this surely means that I can't plug in the PCI Radeon 9250 card until there is a driver for either the on board ethernet port or onboard sound so I can use one of the two PCI slots for the 9250? I am curious about how did you connect the Radeon 9250 PCI to your X1000 in this case - Do you have an additional PCI slot you can use or did you go without sound or ethernet under AmigaOS4 to try it out?

I guess I want to know if there is a way around all this so I can use the Radeon 9250 PCI for gaming under AmigaOS4 - Are the onboard sound/ethernet port X1000 drivers going to be available before the 3D drivers for the Radeon R700, for example?

Catcha,
Epsilon
mbrantley
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by mbrantley »

How soon before this guide is available? It would come in real handy for me right now. Thanks!
And, Trevor, I've enjoyed your blog entries about your multiple Miggy monitor adventures.
trevordick
A-Eon Technology
A-Eon Technology

Post by trevordick »

mbrantley wrote:How soon before this guide is available? It would come in real handy for me right now. Thanks!
And, Trevor, I've enjoyed your blog entries about your multiple Miggy monitor adventures.
Thanks for that. :-)

The beta test team have had the first draft of the guide for about a week now. I'll give them a few more days then we will upload it to the A-EON website for registered A1-X1000 owners.

Trevor
I'm just Breezin'
AmigaNG

Post by AmigaNG »

Would this work with a Radeon 9800 SE All In Wonder PCI card? Anyway looking forward to the guide.
2012 - the year I got a new Amiga and the world ended.....a good year.
mbrantley
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by mbrantley »

OK, I'll try to be patient. :-) I was fooling around with an on old RadeonHD 4350 card (not a great card) last night but didn't immediately find success getting both it and the Radeon HD4850 to show up. Probably missing something that will be apparent when the guide is available.

And meanwhile it looks like I just made a deal with a friend at work to take his GigaByte Radeon HD6850 card for a hundred bucks, so I'll be able to use that with the new driver when it's available. Only downside to this 6850 is that unlike Trevor's version mine will take up the space of two slots. And the 4850 card that AmigaKit fitted in my machine also takes up this much space, so with both cards my little 1X PCI-E slots will be blocked. Don't have a need for them now anyway, however.

Probably the most productive thing for me, however, will be to fit a 9250 or 9200 card in a PCI slot when one becomes available. I have both these cards available. But it's sure great to be contemplating the newer RadeonHD cards!

A question for another day perhaps... but wonder if we'll ever have dual-head support on these video cards.
daz
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by daz »

AmigaNG wrote:Would this work with a Radeon 9800 SE All In Wonder PCI card? Anyway looking forward to the guide.
Did they make a 9800 in PCI? I thought all 9800's were AGP only.

Anyway, you may be able to get two displays but the 9800 is not supported in 3D so you won't get OpenGL on that set up.

Regards
Darren
AmigaDave

Post by AmigaDave »

I was window shopping for video cards last night for my X1000, but then realized that I don't have all the information I need to buy anything yet. Can someone here educate me about which video card would be the best to purchase for use in my X1000, that has full OpenGL (or is it OpenCL) 3D support under OS4.1.5.

Should I look for an ATI Radeon 9000Pro w/128mb VRAM in PCI format, or a ATI Radeon 9250 w/256mb VRAM, PCI format, or something eles? I am not even sure the 9000Pro was made with 128mb VRAM in PCI format, as I am only familiar with the 9000Pro cards used in G4 PowerMac's, which only have 64mb of VRAM. I already know that the 9000Pro is much faster than the 9100, 9200, & 9250 cards, but I don't know the history of which Radeon 9xxx series video cards were produced in PCI format with faster 128kb interfaces and 128mb, or 256mb VRAM and the fastest clock speeds of the GPU's.

Since it may be a long time before the Radeon HD video drivers have full 3D support, and I believe that either the sound, or Ethernet driver for the X1000's onboard components will be finished long before the HD 3D driver, which will free up one, or both of my PCI slots, so I can use one of them for a PCI Radeon video card, I want to buy the best video card that is already supported by the OS4.x video card drivers, so I can play all of the OS4.x compatible 3D games, and watch videos at full speed on my X1000's 2nd monitor. Is that, or will that soon be possible?

Since I am new to OS4.x, please advise me on which is the best video card that is already supported to the fullest extent by the current OS4.x video card drivers. I want to set up a dual monitor, dual video card installation in my X1000 until the 3D video card drivers are completed for the Radeon HD video cards.

Thanks!
Last edited by AmigaDave on Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Proud owner of 10+ Commodore Amiga 680x0 computers
First Contact AmigaOne X1000 Dual Core 1.8GHz PA6T w/OS4.1FE
Dual 2.7GHz G5 PowerMac w/MorphOS3.7
1.5GHz G4 PMac MDD w/MorphOS3.7
1.5GHz G4 MacMini w/MorphOS3.7
17" 1.67GHz G4 PBooks w/MorphOS3.7
Efika 5200b w/MorphOS3.7
FPGA Arcade Replay w/AmigaOS3.x