Keyboard issue

AmigaOne X1000 platform specific issues.
Zenzizenzizenzic

Keyboard issue

Post by Zenzizenzizenzic »

The ALT and Amiga keys are reversed on the X1000. For example, I need to use right-ALT A to select all icons in a drawer. This is only on the X1000, none of the other machines on the KVM are affected. It is an Amiga One PS2 keyboard, also I've put a Dell USB keyboard on the machine to the same result. Is there a way to change the keymap to return these to normal?

Thank you.
otakui
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Re: Keyboard issue

Post by otakui »

You'll want to check out SYS:Documentation/Kickstart/keymap_lib.readme

Code: Select all

The firmware variable which controls this feature is:
    keymap_swapaltamiga

The only recognized values are "on" and "off".

The default setting for this feature is on for the AmigaOne X1000.
    For all other platforms the default setting is off.
Al Stremming - AmigaOne X1000 Beta Tester A1-X1001. Official Fractal R3 black case, ASUS R9 270X 2 GB, Samsung 250GB SSD, Seagate 2TB, AmigaOne Keyboard, Boing Ball mouse, 2 GB RAM, Official DVD burner. Realtek 8139, OCZ 650W, Catweasel Mk II.
Zenzizenzizenzic

Post by Zenzizenzizenzic »

Thank you, that fixed that concern, but now the KVM doesn't work. As I was planning on getting a new one anyway, that's not a major concern. Is there a model that is know to work with the X1000?

Thanks again.
ChrisH
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by ChrisH »

I have not yet heard of a (proper) KVM which works flawlessly with AmigaOS4. Usually there is some problem or other (small or big), typically down to the KVM not properly implementing the USB standard.

For example, my KVM usually acts as if the Left Ctrl (?) key is pressed when I boot, which is no problem for Windows (as the key does nothing special), but OS4 handles it as telling it to boot without the StartUp-Sequence (so I had to hack the Kickstart to work-around the problem, which worked fine on my Sam440, but it doesn't work so well on my X1000).
ktadd

Post by ktadd »

It took me a bit of research and experimenting to get my keyboard to work so I thought I would post this here to save others with a keyboard like mine some trouble.

I'm using a Logitech Canada 210 wireless keyboard (an older one) that has the Alt keys next to the space bar and one window key on the left with a menu key on the right.
Here are the comnads I used to get it working so the Alt keys were Alt keys and the menu key works as the right Amiga key.

In CFE (press F during menu after cold boot to enter) type the following to have the Alt keys work as Alt keys instead of Amiga keys as they do by default:
setenv -p keymap_swapaltamiga "off"

In the AmigaShell type the following to map the menu key as the right Amiga key:
setenv save usb/hid.keyboard/rgui 0x00070065

Now reboot and your keys should be setup properly.
Last edited by ktadd on Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kevin - X1000 first contact / uA1
LyleHaze
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by LyleHaze »

Thanks Kevin!
I also have a wireless Logitech keyboard, but have had less luck getting my right button working.
Perhaps it's because to the right of my space bar are Alt, FN, and Ctrl..
So I guess the menu key can be mapped but not the function key..??

Can you tell me what model of keyboard you were able to map?
Mine that will NOT map is a K520. It's a shame, too. I really like the round top keys.

Thanks,
Lyle
ktadd

Post by ktadd »

@ LyleHaze
I also have a wireless Logitech keyboard, but have had less luck getting my right button working.
Perhaps it's because to the right of my space bar are Alt, FN, and Ctrl..
So I guess the menu key can be mapped but not the function key..??
Hmmm....I would think the FN key in that position would return the same key code as the Menu key. You can try looking at this document around page 50 or so and check the keycodes. http://www.usb.org/developers/devclass_docs/Hut1_11.pdf

I was able to figure out a combination that worked for my keyboard by reading page 12 of the X1000 Firmware and Booting Guide" and the "keyboards.doc" file found in the SYS:Documentation directory.

Here are some tips based on my experience:

In the standard setup do the ALT keys work as Amiga keys?
If so then execture "setenv -p keymap_swapaltamiga "off" at the CFE> command prompt. (or try setting it to "on" and see what happens)

Since you don't have a windows key, at CFE> try setting: setenv -p kbddev_norwin 1

In the Amigashell you can try setting: setenv save usb/hid.keyboard/rgui 0x00070065

I experimented with all combinations of the above until I found one that worked for me. Sorry it didn't work for you. Hope this helps.
Can you tell me what model of keyboard you were able to map?
I have several year old Logitech canada 210 keyboard. I didn't include the model number in my original post because the numbers are worn off but wa able to find it with a little WEB research.
Kevin - X1000 first contact / uA1
LyleHaze
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by LyleHaze »

Thank You.. It is a bit deeper than I first suspected.
:shock:

There may be hope for my keyboard after all!
For now I have swapped the alt and amiga keys so I can use the most common keyboard shortcuts when editing text.
I _assumed_ that if it didn't show up in the commodities/FKey "learn" mode that it wasn't even there.

Perhaps I need to make a display wedge to show the keycodes going by.. (it's always a software solution for me!)

Something more for my "to do" list.. but thanks for the good start!

Lyle

More Info: I just tried Daniels "AllKeys" from the Depot. It can identify every key on the board EXCEPT the FN key
and the NumLock. I believe those are handled inside the keyboard and never make it out to the system.

I suppose if I want to dig deeper I could look for a USB monitor that would let me peek at passing USB
transactions.. if there's none when pressing that key I believe that would be the final word.

It's amazing how much I might learn when I go looking. ;)