Wireless Internet Browsing on X1000?

AmigaOne X1000 platform specific issues.
AmigaDave

Wireless Internet Browsing on X1000?

Post by AmigaDave »

Yes!

I just purchased one of these:

http://www.netgear.com/home/products/ho ... e2001.aspx#

refurbished from NewEgg.com, primarily for a different computer that I really want wireless Internet connectivity, while waiting for a more elegant solution to be provided.

After setting it up on my Vista Ultimate PC, I thought I would try it out on my X1000, which I had just moved into a different room that does not have any Ethernet wiring, and luckily for me, IT WORKED! In fact, it worked very well.

I then took it into another room and tried to use it connected to a different computer and it would not connect, so my happiness might have been premature. I then tried it on a third computer and that would not connect either, so the only computers that it has worked with so far is the Windows Vista Ultimate PC that I used to setup the correct connection via the installation instructions and my X1000 right after the setup of the device with the installation instructions.

I'll try again with the other two computers and again with my X1000, to confirm that it is still working correctly from OS4.1.5 and my X1000.

If any of you have other wireless Internet solutions on your X1000, please include them in this thread for all of us to share all the possible wireless Internet solutions for X1000 owners. This is not a conventional wireless Internet connection solution, like a wireless PCI card, or wireless USB NIC, or the more typical wireless laptop CardBus, or PCMCIA card, but this is another way to provide a wireless Internet connection to any device, or electronic appliance that needs to connect to the Internet, or other devices on a WLAN.
Proud owner of 10+ Commodore Amiga 680x0 computers
First Contact AmigaOne X1000 Dual Core 1.8GHz PA6T w/OS4.1FE
Dual 2.7GHz G5 PowerMac w/MorphOS3.7
1.5GHz G4 PMac MDD w/MorphOS3.7
1.5GHz G4 MacMini w/MorphOS3.7
17" 1.67GHz G4 PBooks w/MorphOS3.7
Efika 5200b w/MorphOS3.7
FPGA Arcade Replay w/AmigaOS3.x
amigasociety

Re: Wireless Internet Browsing on X1000?

Post by amigasociety »

I use something similar that allows my home electrical wiring to feed Internet. One box connects to my router and power source near the router and the other box anyplace in the house, and this allows Internet anyplace. So, not reall wireless since you still connect patch cable to your X1000 but still a nice way to feed Internet to a room without Ethernet jacks.

Tj
Happy owner of several Amiga systems including:

AmigaOne X5000
Amiga A1222 Tabor
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

amigasociety wrote:I use something similar that allows my home electrical wiring to feed Internet. One box connects to my router and power source near the router and the other box anyplace in the house, and this allows Internet anyplace.
I tried that solution here myself, but gave up on it. In theory it's a great idea, but we use almost exclusively energy saving light bulbs in our home, and they make far too much noise on our mains grid to allow a reliable network connection to be carried over it. i tried turning off all lamps in the house except for a few that still use conventional glow bulbs, and then it worked. But that's not a solution I can live with.
So, not reall wireless since you still connect patch cable to your X1000 but still a nice way to feed Internet to a room without Ethernet jacks.
AmigaDave's solution also uses a patch cable from the unit to the computer, so that's no different. However, you could claim that the mains connection is also a wire connection, and therefore using that is still "not really wireless".

Best regards,

Niels
AmigaDave

Post by AmigaDave »

nbache wrote:
amigasociety wrote:I use something similar that allows my home electrical wiring to feed Internet. One box connects to my router and power source near the router and the other box anyplace in the house, and this allows Internet anyplace.
I tried that solution here myself, but gave up on it. In theory it's a great idea, but we use almost exclusively energy saving light bulbs in our home, and they make far too much noise on our mains grid to allow a reliable network connection to be carried over it. i tried turning off all lamps in the house except for a few that still use conventional glow bulbs, and then it worked. But that's not a solution I can live with.
So, not reall wireless since you still connect patch cable to your X1000 but still a nice way to feed Internet to a room without Ethernet jacks.
AmigaDave's solution also uses a patch cable from the unit to the computer, so that's no different. However, you could claim that the mains connection is also a wire connection, and therefore using that is still "not really wireless".

Best regards,

Niels
You are right, it is not a true wireless networking connection, but the method I am using does serve the same purpose as a wireless PCI card NIC, or USB wireless NIC, and it uses a wireless signal. It also does not need a connection to an electrical outlet "IF" your computer, or other device that you are connecting it to has a USB port that provides enough electrical current to power the NetGear WNCE2001-100NAR. Since the AmigaOne X1000 is a desktop computer and not a portable laptop, or Netbook, its USB ports are more than likely to provide enough current to power the NetGear WNCE2001-100NAR.

Until I get an Ethernet cable routed into the room where I currently have my X1000 setup, the NetGear WNCE2001-100NAR will provide an adequate substitute Ethernet connection. It is small and easy to move from one computer, or electronic device, to another. I just used it tonight on my 1.5GHz G4 MacMini while running MorphOS2.7 and it worked great there as well.
Efika 5200b w/MorphOS3.7
AlexC
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by AlexC »

AmigaDave wrote:If any of you have other wireless Internet solutions on your X1000, please include them in this thread for all of us to share all the possible wireless Internet solutions for X1000 owners.
I have a similar situation here where I can't pull a wire to the office downstairs where the modem and linksys wireless router is.

On my XE I used to connect with a Linksys WAP11 and that worked fine for the XE alone but once I also got the X1000 it was a pain to swap the ethernet cable between the two machine and couldn't have both online at the same time.

So I bought an ASUS RT-N12 4 ports wifi router for $35 or so. It didn't quite work as a transparent ethernet to wireless bridge so I ended up reflashing its firmware with the dd-wrt firmware from http://www.dd-wrt.com and that turned the rather limited router into a nice mini linux server with telnet/ssh/http/ftp/firewall/smtp/etc, providing the most flexibility I've ever seen in a router which makes it well worth the $35.

Configuration works with IBrowse but is a tad limited, but it's fine with OWB and TW so no PC needed.
AmigaDave

Post by AmigaDave »

AlexC wrote:
AmigaDave wrote:If any of you have other wireless Internet solutions on your X1000, please include them in this thread for all of us to share all the possible wireless Internet solutions for X1000 owners.
I have a similar situation here where I can't pull a wire to the office downstairs where the modem and linksys wireless router is.

On my XE I used to connect with a Linksys WAP11 and that worked fine for the XE alone but once I also got the X1000 it was a pain to swap the ethernet cable between the two machine and couldn't have both online at the same time.

So I bought an ASUS RT-N12 4 ports wifi router for $35 or so. It didn't quite work as a transparent ethernet to wireless bridge so I ended up reflashing its firmware with the dd-wrt firmware from http://www.dd-wrt.com and that turned the rather limited router into a nice mini linux server with telnet/ssh/http/ftp/firewall/smtp/etc, providing the most flexibility I've ever seen in a router which makes it well worth the $35.

Configuration works with IBrowse but is a tad limited, but it's fine with OWB and TW so no PC needed.
I am pretty much a noob when it comes to network connections, so I don't really understand if my setup provides any kind of protection or not, other than the weak 128bit WEP password protection that the WNCE2001-100NAR device uses to connect to my WLAN, so I am pretty much depending on protection through obscurity of using OS4.x. That and the fact that I don't have any sensitive information stored on my X1000 that is worth stealing anyway. Maybe later I will get something like what you are using that has more security built-in and has its own firewall. I am sure your device must be more secure than mine.
Efika 5200b w/MorphOS3.7