DVPlayer that comes with X1000

AmigaOne X1000 platform specific issues.
amigasociety

DVPlayer that comes with X1000

Post by amigasociety »

I take it the DVPlayer that came pre-installed (at least I think it did since I have downloaded so many new apps to get my X1000 pumped up) is a "toned down" copy and not a full version that is being sold by the maker?

Is there something I gain app wise if I pay the $30 they offer it for at dvplayer.amigarevolution.com?

I see they are up to version 0.76 and what came with my X1000 is a 0.72 Special Edition.

I have not had any luck yet playing an AVI with my 0.72 and wondered if 0.76 will take care of that or if my issue is elsewhere? The manual shows the 0.72 does not play AVIs so that may be why. Just did not know if this version that came with X1000 was any different.

TJ
Happy owner of several Amiga systems including:

AmigaOne X5000
Amiga A1222 Tabor
Hans
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Re: DVPlayer that comes with X1000

Post by Hans »

amigasociety wrote:I take it the DVPlayer that came pre-installed (at least I think it did since I have downloaded so many new apps to get my X1000 pumped up) is a "toned down" copy and not a full version that is being sold by the maker?
Yes, it came pre-installed, and yes, it is a "special" toned down version. From page 5 of the accompanying manual:
The OS4 Special Edition is fully functional like the registered version, with the following exceptions:
– The AVI, ASF and WMV file formats are not supported
– It is not possible to load a different skin (a special OS4SE skin is embedded into the player).
– Updates are not available (Only registered users will receive free updates of the program).
Please consider registering to support further development of this program.
Is there something I gain app wise if I pay the $30 they offer it for at dvplayer.amigarevolution.com?
You will get the latest version, be able to use the full set of features (including AVI, ASF and WMV support), and will also get updates. See the DvPlayer website for a list of new features that version 0.76 adds. You will also be supporting further development of this application.

I have bought this myself, and would recommend it to anyone who has AmigaOS 4.

Hans
http://hdrlab.org.nz/ - Amiga OS 4 projects, programming articles and more. Home of the RadeonHD driver for Amiga OS 4.x project.
sundown
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by sundown »

I agree with Hans, well worth the money. There are some codecs DvPlayer doesn't support, but mui-mplayer fills the gaps.

Ken
X1000 - Antec Solo case, 4GB DDR2 mem, XFX R9 270 gfx card, Plextor DVD, 2 Samsung 1TB F3 HDD, RTL-8139 network card, Cooler Master Silent Pro 600W PSU
ChrisH
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by ChrisH »

I would add that DvPlayer is the better player (faster playback), and so well worth registering, but MUI-MPlayer handles more video formats (and so I used it as a fall-back).
AmigaDave

Post by AmigaDave »

ChrisH wrote:I would add that DvPlayer is the better player (faster playback), and so well worth registering, but MUI-MPlayer handles more video formats (and so I used it as a fall-back).
DvPlayer has better/faster playback than MPlayer? Do you have a source for that statement that I can look at (not doubting you, just curious to see what the difference amounts to)?

Being new to OS4.x, I am having some difficulties in setting up many things to work properly on my X1000, and video playback is one of them, just like amigasociety had in the beginning.

I will probably support DvPlayer anyway, as I try to support all of the Amiga developers that I can, be purchasing their software (even some that I never use).
Proud owner of 10+ Commodore Amiga 680x0 computers
First Contact AmigaOne X1000 Dual Core 1.8GHz PA6T w/OS4.1FE
Dual 2.7GHz G5 PowerMac w/MorphOS3.7
1.5GHz G4 PMac MDD w/MorphOS3.7
1.5GHz G4 MacMini w/MorphOS3.7
17" 1.67GHz G4 PBooks w/MorphOS3.7
Efika 5200b w/MorphOS3.7
FPGA Arcade Replay w/AmigaOS3.x
ChrisH
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by ChrisH »

AmigaDave wrote:
ChrisH wrote:I would add that DvPlayer is the better player (faster playback), and so well worth registering, but MUI-MPlayer handles more video formats (and so I used it as a fall-back).
DvPlayer has better/faster playback than MPlayer? Do you have a source for that statement that I can look at (not doubting you, just curious to see what the difference amounts to)?
I don't recall the details or precise source (I suggest searching forums of AW.net & www.Amigans.net), but it is IMHO fairly common knowledge & also easily proven with a few tests. I believe that DvPlayer is better optimised for OS4 & has better hardware acceleration (compared to MPlayer). Which should not be so surprising since I think the author of DvPlayer also has some involvement with OS4.

DvPlayer's advantages may not be so obvious on an X1000 (rather than on a Sam440), but there are doubtless cases were you will still be able to notice it.