New Version of the Debian Installation guide - v1.9

AmigaOne X1000 platform specific issues.
mechanic

Re: New Version of the Debian Installation guide - v1.9

Post by mechanic »

I still can't find it in v1.9.0. Or is there a newer version?

Not a problem at this time. First kernel built and working.

Thanks Trevor.

Len
A-Eon A1X1000 ATI HD6850, Creative SB1570 PCIe, RTL8139 net PCI.
trevordick
A-Eon Technology
A-Eon Technology

Post by trevordick »

mechanic wrote:I still can't find it in v1.9.0. Or is there a newer version?

Thanks Trevor.

Len
Len, Glad you manged to create your own kernel. :-) I believe the latest version (1.9) can be downloaded by registered users from the Hyperion website. However, a new version (2.0) will be issued shortly which contains additional instructions for installing Ubuntu 12.04.

Trevor
I'm just Breezin'
AmigaDave

Post by AmigaDave »

trevordick wrote:
mechanic wrote:I still can't find it in v1.9.0. Or is there a newer version?

Thanks Trevor.

Len
Len, Glad you manged to create your own kernel. :-) I believe the latest version (1.9) can be downloaded by registered users from the Hyperion website. However, a new version (2.0) will be issued shortly which contains additional instructions for installing Ubuntu 12.04.

Trevor
Thanks for all of your work to keep the X1000 Linux installation guide up to date with the fast changing information on all of the different versions of Linux that are being supported to run on the X1000 by different users.

It is impressive how quickly so many different versions of Linux have been made to work on the X1000.

I hope that you know how much so many of us Amiga users appreciate all you have done already, and all you continue to do for Amiga users everywhere. I don't know if our appreciation and support can ever match what you have done and continue doing, for the Amiga communities.

You are a Hero and a Treasure of the Amiga Community Trevor!
Proud owner of 10+ Commodore Amiga 680x0 computers
First Contact AmigaOne X1000 Dual Core 1.8GHz PA6T w/OS4.1FE
Dual 2.7GHz G5 PowerMac w/MorphOS3.7
1.5GHz G4 PMac MDD w/MorphOS3.7
1.5GHz G4 MacMini w/MorphOS3.7
17" 1.67GHz G4 PBooks w/MorphOS3.7
Efika 5200b w/MorphOS3.7
FPGA Arcade Replay w/AmigaOS3.x
mbrantley
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by mbrantley »

You are a Hero and a Treasure of the Amiga Community Trevor!
Yes, he is! I'm going to start getting Linux happy with my new computer when I get some power for my spare hard drives. Only bummer with my X1000 is the single power cable with the three SATA power connectors will only reach the DVD drive and the included hard drive. I could move the DVD down a bay to get the cable to reach another hard drive, but then I still need another SATA power connector for my third hard drive. And I got no molex power connectors for the pair of IDE hard drives I have. (Yes, I have five hard drives for the computer, but someone told me on IRC the other day he's beat me to the five-drive punch.)

So when I get this power cabling problem solved I'm going to set up at least a couple of Linux environments to toy in. But which ones? Must study their merits.

Anyway, I am mightily impressed with this installation guide and really all the documentation that came with the computer.
trevordick
A-Eon Technology
A-Eon Technology

Post by trevordick »

Aw shucks :oops: Thanks

But don't forget all the developers and beta tester, without whose effort none of this would be possible.

Trevor

PS I promise to upload the latest Installation guide at the end of the week. Please prod me if I forget.
I'm just Breezin'
AmigaDave

Post by AmigaDave »

trevordick wrote:Aw shucks :oops: Thanks

But don't forget all the developers and beta tester, without whose effort none of this would be possible.

Trevor

PS I promise to upload the latest Installation guide at the end of the week. Please prod me if I forget.
You are right, there are many other people who deserve credit for "keeping this party going", but you are one key person that I don't know if we could have survived without your actions and commitment. So, please don't try to deflect too much of the credit to others. Your contribution has been massive and constant for many years (even before the X1000 project).
Proud owner of 10+ Commodore Amiga 680x0 computers
First Contact AmigaOne X1000 Dual Core 1.8GHz PA6T w/OS4.1FE
Dual 2.7GHz G5 PowerMac w/MorphOS3.7
1.5GHz G4 PMac MDD w/MorphOS3.7
1.5GHz G4 MacMini w/MorphOS3.7
17" 1.67GHz G4 PBooks w/MorphOS3.7
Efika 5200b w/MorphOS3.7
FPGA Arcade Replay w/AmigaOS3.x
daz
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by daz »

trevordick wrote:Aw shucks :oops: Thanks

Trevor

So you've no linux stuff to do right now? I hope to have something new soon, here is a taste of what I've been up to this week:
devel.jpg
New Linux kernel
(137.23 KiB) Downloaded 2430 times
The disk labeled Linux is the CF card I keep my linux kernels on (In the CF slot), Thanks to the help of LyleHaze, I've managed to add it as a platform_ata device.

This kernel is based on 3.4.0, and is not ready for release just yet, as I seem to have added a interrupt initialisation problem which causes it to hang during boot quite a bit. I am investigating. Annoyingly it works well when it boots.

I see you've added Xorro prototype boards to the A-Eon web site, are they nearly here?

Regards
Darren
LyleHaze
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by LyleHaze »

@Daz,
I'm a complete noob at Linux.. I have a question:
Does this mean that we will be able to put a complete Linux install on a CF without messing around with any hard drives that are busy with OS4 stuff?

That could be interesting.. ;)

Just wondering. It would be a good starting point for the "Linux-Curious" Amigans out here.
mechanic

Post by mechanic »

Lyle,

Keep in mind that you can use a separate hard drive for Linux stuff only and have more than one distro on that drive with different kernels all on the same drive.

I have Mint and Deb6.0.5 with separate kernels on a PATA drive with room for another distro. (Must be crazy)
A-Eon A1X1000 ATI HD6850, Creative SB1570 PCIe, RTL8139 net PCI.
daz
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by daz »

LyleHaze wrote:@Daz,
I'm a complete noob at Linux.. I have a question:
Does this mean that we will be able to put a complete Linux install on a CF without messing around with any hard drives that are busy with OS4 stuff?
Hmmm... interesting idea, and I think is possible. CF appears to the system as a HDD.

We would need to partition the CF, as most are supplied as one large disk. 2 Partitions, 1 FAT for kernels (they won't load off of anything else) and 1 ext2/3 for the linux system.

Only 2 things concern me: Where to put the swap, (.. oddly I didn't bother with this and my system is OK)

Cost of a resonable sized CF gets quite high, I would expect 8G to be an minimum size to even consider, 32 or 64G is a more resonable size.

But I can see the advantage of supplying a ready prepared CF card for those who aren't confident about installing.
Just wondering. It would be a good starting point for the "Linux-Curious" Amigans out here.
Trevor! Are you listening?

Regards
Darren