Fresh start

AmigaOne X1000 platform specific issues.
AmigaNG

Fresh start

Post by AmigaNG »

So now i got my X1000 running after installing ES2.1 I am running into a few little issues so, I ordered a SSD and decided to start a fresh install.

Three questions.

Q1. I notice on my Download Area I have X1000InstallCD-53.27 iso, and a
update to the two patch's Final edition update1 & 2, at the end of of update2 its says - 53.14? so does that mean the CD/Iso is more up to date than the patch's?

Q2. Partitions on my new hard drive, its 256Gb SSD, so I know I need to make a small 5mb partition for amigboot partition and so my setup I was thinking of having was
HD1: AmigaBoot (5mb)
HD2: AmigaOS (20GB)
HD3: Work & Games (100GB)
HD4: Rest left for maybe future backups / System 54

now I did read it better to even have one just for AmigaOS, and then have another for AmigaOS + ES2.1 do you think that really necessary?

Q3. Is there anything else i need to be aware of or any tips to have the best stable setup? Cheers, wish me luck.
2012 - the year I got a new Amiga and the world ended.....a good year.
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Re: Fresh start

Post by nbache »

AmigaNG wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 12:30 pmQ1. I notice on my Download Area I have X1000InstallCD-53.27 iso, and a
update to the two patch's Final edition update1 & 2, at the end of of update2 its says - 53.14? so does that mean the CD/Iso is more up to date than the patch's?
No, the 53.27 is simply the version of the full installation ISO. I believe it is the same as the one you get on a physical Final Edition CD.

What exactly do you mean by "at the end of of update2 its says - 53.14"? Where do you see that version number?

At any rate, you should also install the later small updates after Update 2; AmiUpdate should offer them to you.
Q2. Partitions on my new hard drive, its 256Gb SSD, so I know I need to make a small 5mb partition for amigboot partition and so my setup I was thinking of having was
HD1: AmigaBoot (5mb)
HD2: AmigaOS (20GB)
HD3: Work & Games (100GB)
HD4: Rest left for maybe future backups / System 54

now I did read it better to even have one just for AmigaOS, and then have another for AmigaOS + ES2.1 do you think that really necessary?
Absolutely. If you don't keep a pure OS installation without "contaminating" it with the Enhancer stuff (except of course for the graphics drivers which are probably needed), you won't be able to determine if a problem comes from the OS itself or the third party additions/replacements.

BTW, 20 GB seems way overkill for the OS, I have never set up more than 1 GB, and I still have plenty of room. So set up a couple of boot partitions, one with just AmigaOS (plus RadeonHD and stuff), and one with AmigaOS plus the Enhancer (that one might need e.g. 2 GB, just to make sure). Then your Work partition (I usually make it smaller than yours, and then I have a number of other partitions for various purposes, but that's a matter of taste). The rest of the space I'd recommend you leave unpartitioned, because then you can always go back in and make one or several more partitions according to your future needs.

Best regards,

Niels
AmigaNG

Post by AmigaNG »

thanks for the feedback,

asi for where I see 53.14 its in the download area and the name of the file
(AmigaOS4.1FinalEditionUpdate2-53.14.lha)
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

Aha, okay.

Well, that is a bit confusing, I guess.

But the 53.14 is just a versioning of the Update 2 package itself (we had that many beta versions of it before it went out in its final version with the hotfix implemented). So it's independent of the versioning of the full ISO.

You can also tell from the dates next to the archives that Update 2 (and the Hotfix stand-alone for those who had already installed the first, flawed incarnation of update 2 which has of course been removed) is from January 2021, whereas the original InstallCD is from May 2015.

Best regards,

Niels
AmigaNG

Post by AmigaNG »

Ok the system cant find amigaboot.of,
I did setup BHD0: as just the standard drive, then formated it in AmigaOS CD, place the amigaboot file into it, is there something I'm missing?
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

You should use the FastFileSystem for your small boot volume (BHD0:), not the OldFileSystem, and you should also choose Long Filenames, although that doesn't really matter much for just that one file. But you might as well get used to that choice, as e.g. if you try to install the OS on an FFS volume, it will need that.

In other words, the dostype should end up as DOS\07, not DOS\00.

Best regards,

Niels
Hypex
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by Hypex »

nbache wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 6:19 pm You should use the FastFileSystem for your small boot volume
I think at this point it could do with some automation such as choosing type of partition, boot, system, etc. Or use better defaults, such as defaulting to FFS/7 for new partitions. For years I've read of people setting up OS4 and getting stuck on an old filesystem because MTB chose it.

It really needs an update as it's too hard adding partitions in a TB world. Needs a number gadget to specify size. At least an option to chose granularly of MB or GB or similar as working with a tiny drag bar and disk blocks is not user friendly.

Of course MTB should also set up the boot volume when installing, so it's all hidden and done correctly, but that's another story. :)