Re: amigaboot.of doesn't work anymore since Upd.2 (solved)

AmigaOne X1000 platform specific issues.
gerograph

Post by gerograph »

I did a total reset for my AONE. These are the HW Specs:
  • HIS-Radeon HD 7750 (H775P1GD) (AOS - 3D - Blender)
  • Radeon 4650 (Linux)
  • 1TB SSD
  • 2GB RAM

This is what I did...
  • FAT (NOT FAT32) formatet CF card
  • booted from AOS 4.1 FE CD an setup a SFS/2 Workbench and a SWAP Partition -> Install
  • copied the amigaboot.of from SYS: to my CFCard (on the WIN10 PC)
  • altered CFE bootmenu to launch amigaboot.of from cf0:
=> could easiely boot into WB - no problem (expect for switching Graphic cards in between)*
  • Installed Upd.1
  • copied new amigaboot.of to CF card on my WIN10 machine
  • rebooted
=> works fine
  • Installed Upd.2
=> my red progress bar* stops about 2 thirds after startup

Does upd.2 need an other amigaboot.of?

*btw it is not red, it is blue - but I suppose that's due to dual Graphiccards Setup...
Last edited by gerograph on Tue Nov 09, 2021 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
MichaelMerkel
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Re: amigaboot.of doesn't work anymore since Upd.2

Post by MichaelMerkel »

i *think* - no.
checking my upd2 copy on disk the amigaboot file is identical to the upd1 file.
v53.21

this is when loading the kickstart modules?
do you have a serial connection? log?

regards...
michael
Michael Merkel :lol:
(Member of Amiga Freunde Pfalz)
gerograph

Post by gerograph »

That is an idea, and I found the reason: In Kicklayout I had to comment out the just added pasemi_dma.resources.... line? Maybe I Do need a x1000 Firmware Update before?
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

Maybe I Do need a x1000 Firmware Update before?
No, I don't believe you do.

The kickmodule pasemi_dma.resource is new in Update 2. To use it you need to have the line active in your Kicklayout (and of course have the file itself present in the Kickstart dir, but the Update 2 installer should take care of that).

The module simply contains some dma routines which were previously inside the kernel (IIRC), but since they are only used on the X1000, it was wasteful to have them there for all platforms.

You should be able to boot with Update 2 without having this module active, though, although you won't have the benefit of the DMA code.

So that's probably not your real problem.

BTW, not sure from your posts whether you already are aware, but AmigaBoot is not firmware, it's just a program called from CFE during the boot to give you a menu of possible configs to boot, and to load the kickmodules from the one you select.

Best regards,

Niels
gerograph

Post by gerograph »

nbache wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 11:28 pm
Maybe I Do need a x1000 Firmware Update before?
No, I don't believe you do.

The kickmodule pasemi_dma.resource is new in Update 2. To use it you need to have the line active in your Kicklayout (and of course have the file itself present in the Kickstart dir, but the Update 2 installer should take care of that).

The module simply contains some dma routines which were previously inside the kernel (IIRC), but since they are only used on the X1000, it was wasteful to have them there for all platforms.

You should be able to boot with Update 2 without having this module active, though, although you won't have the benefit of the DMA code.
Thanks for hinting me into that directiton, as I said. After I put a ";" in front of pasemi_dma.resource it booted fine. This made me to investigate that line further - and I found a spelling mistake...
So that's probably not your real problem.
Indeed it was not firmware (CFE) nor amigaboot.of ;-)
BTW, not sure from your posts whether you already are aware, but AmigaBoot is not firmware, it's just a program called from CFE during the boot to give you a menu of possible configs to boot, and to load the kickmodules from the one you select.
Of course I am aware, I just forgot that kicklayout will be worked through before the actual Workbench/startup-sequence will be started...

thanx Gero