Is the X1000 internal USB header inverted?

AmigaOne X1000 platform specific issues.
Hypex
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Is the X1000 internal USB header inverted?

Post by Hypex »

Hi guys.

Since I setup my X1000 in my Thermaltake Spacecraft VF-1 tower many years ago my USB has never worked fully. The case came with one internal lead and another internal lead intended for USB3. It must a USB3 convention but the USB lead has a standard external plug. So I routed that through the back and plugged it into an external port. Never liked a lead going from inside to out but it has worked.

But the other lead has not. I plugged it into one side of the internal header. But the port has always been dead. This leads me to believe it may be inverted. On my AmigaOne XE I bought an external USB plate but the plug was incompatible. I had to punch out a key and connect in an opposite way.

So I'm wondering if the X1000 has the same setup? Using the standard USB header but being electrically incompatible. Because I've connected it correctly AFAICT. I mean it only goes one way! It's keyed. But it's never worked! :-?

I've had to watch it over the years as inserting a USB key in the "wrong" hole can freeze OS4 within moments. Linux just ignored it. I've pulled the plug for pending further investigation. :-)
sailorMH

Re: Is the X1000 internal USB header inverted?

Post by sailorMH »

Hi,

I have may X1000 in original Define R4 case. All USBs are working fine.
This case have two external USB2.0 and two external USB 3.0 connectors. Case cabling is standart - one cable with 9pin USB 2.0 dual connector and second with blue dual USB 3.0 connector.

I have connected USB2.0 cable to Nemo motherboard internal header (nr. P7 in manual) and USB3.0 cable to USB3.0 card in PCIe x1 connector.

All works as expected - USB2.0 with AmigaOS and linux and USB3.0 with linux only, AmigaOS have no driver yet.
Micro A1-C (G3/1.2 GHz), AmigaOne XE (G4/1.4 GHz), Pegasos II (G4/1.33 GHz), Sam440ep, Sam440ep-flex, AmigaOne X1000
Efika 5200b, Pegasos I, Powerbook, Mac Mini (1.83 GHz), iMac, Powermac Quad

AmigaOS, MorphOS, linux, MacOS X
sailorMH

Post by sailorMH »

I don't know exactly which USB connectors have your Thermaltake Spacecraft VF-1.
According the datasheet it looks like USB3.0 have standard USB-A extenal plug !?! and USB2.0 have motherboard plug - but in datasheet here is not shown, if USB2.0 is 9/10 pin or 4/5 pin.

Nemo motherboard have 10pins USB header - for 2xUSB 2.0. Pin 9 is key and pin 10 is Shield, so it consist of two standard 4pin motherboard headers.

If your USB2.0 plug is 4/5 pin, I recommend connect it directly on motherboard and then connect your USB3.0 also to motherboard using reduction like https://www.suntech.cz/produkt/420338-d ... ice-40-cm/.
It is better and nicer then connect it to external USB.

But if you have problems with USB2.0 4/5 pin only, you have to check the the case plug wiring. Sometimes is incorrectly wired on positions 1-3+5 and position 4 is empty. Such connector doesn't work. You need to have wires in positions 1-4.

If you are not sure, post here please photos of your connectors.
Micro A1-C (G3/1.2 GHz), AmigaOne XE (G4/1.4 GHz), Pegasos II (G4/1.33 GHz), Sam440ep, Sam440ep-flex, AmigaOne X1000
Efika 5200b, Pegasos I, Powerbook, Mac Mini (1.83 GHz), iMac, Powermac Quad

AmigaOS, MorphOS, linux, MacOS X
Hypex
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by Hypex »

sailorMH wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 4:41 pm I have may X1000 in original Define R4 case. All USBs are working fine.
Hi. Thanks for your reply! I just found your posts tonight. :)

I've found this guide online and manual also on support page. The case has good reviews but I think the manual is poor! The one mention of USB2 says to look it up in the motherboard manual. How does that help to describe a plug connected to the case? They don't even show a picture of the plug in the manual! :?:

http://nordic.thermaltake.com/products- ... C_00001790

Your research is correct. The specs above look somewhat confusing to me, even though I have the USB3.0 case. My cables are as specified on the right of the slash as USB 3.0 x 1, USB 2.0 x 1, HD Audio x 1. To my surprise the USB3.0 cable is intended to be outside the case. To me this looks crass and a bad design with a cable hack sticking out the back. Until I found this page I thought USB3.0 boards used external connectors on board and it plugged in that way. But no it seems. I've always had the USB3 cabled plugged in through the back, not knowing it was made that way, and never liked it.

The USB2.0 connector is a 5 pin plug to go into a 4 pin USB 2.0 pin header on board. From top to bottom, it has +5V, D-, D+, G and key. It corresponds to table 23 in the X1000 TRM. It would help if they also mentioned this was the pinout for P7. So the lines do look to match and it should work when plugged in. But it doesn't.

Thanks for your advice. The internal adapter you recommend looks like a good solution. At this I wonder if all pins of P7 needs to be connected for the USB ports to function correctly? Because of my case setup I can only connect one side of the pins on P7. Had I known I would have opted for a standard USB2 case and just plugged in on board. But, I was unaware of these shenanigans, and think I may have bought the last one in stock at the time.
LyleHaze
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by LyleHaze »

My reply is dangerously close to being off-topic.
Please read carefully:

The MICRO-AOne had a "half-inverted" USB connector header.
I don't know if the XE did or not, but they are from the same generation, and possibly the same design house??

Let me try to describe this:
If your case harness had two inline-four pin connectors, you could connect correctly.
If they were all in one "dual row" block, you had to reverse the four pins on one side.
The fifth pin on one side only was just a ground/shield.

I have not seen separated 4 pin connectors for USB since way back then.

So
IF the XE had the same screwy USB pinout as the micro,
OR you are using a micro-AOne case,
AND IF you had modified the wires to accomodate that,
AND IF you are now re-using that case for an X-1000,
THEN it would be wise to carefully inspect and verify every damn wire in that connector.

and if that is the case, I would blame the old one for being backwards, not the new one for being correct.

Finally, the micro serial header (RS-232) was also unusual, and THE DOCUMENTATION WAS WRONG.
But that was a rant from long ago...
Hypex
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by Hypex »

LyleHaze wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 6:26 am My reply is dangerously close to being off-topic.
Please read carefully:
Thanks for your input Lyle. I did actually have some trouble on my XE. IIRC the key aligned with the earth pin and I had to punch it.

But for my X1000 I bought a new case. So I shouldn't have any old problems. I do wonder if it's because I am using a USB 3.0 connector with a USB 2.0 motherboard and it is somehow incompatible.

The again, I have the USB 3.0 cable plugged into the back of a USB 2.0 port and it works fine. From what I can tell I have plugged in a USB 2.0 plug onto the internal header so it should work fine but alas it never has.