Broken motherboard

AmigaOne X1000 platform specific issues.
musa

Re: Broken motherboard

Post by musa »

Petrol wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 8:15 pm Have you checked with an other Graphic card?

Regards,
Thanks for replying. Yes I have tried 3 different graphics cards. The problem is not there. I think the problem lies in the mother board. After 1 sec. closes the board itself for the power.
Have a nice Day
Peter
AmigaX1000
Follow me on twitter @basjoo_dk
Petrol
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by Petrol »

Hi,

Recently my X1000 refused to boot also with some strange serial output, different from time to time, with reboot or halt at board init, with sometimes error indicating that no VGA valid board were found, and sometimes nothing att all. I suspected my GFX card and replace it with the old one without any luck. I replaced the battery and same result. With all the test, the PSU was like KO, no power on. I suspected it to became too weak or damaged because I remarked that one of the GFX fan was slower that the others before it stopped working. I went to my local commputing store to bought a new one, and the technician offered me to look at the machine to check it up.
My PSU was OK finally, It tells me that he unmounted all parts and checked and cleaned all the connectics. He reassembled all parts again, and tada, it booted again with all the original parts!
It is now working again.

Regards,
musa

Post by musa »

Hi Petrol.
Thank you very much for your interesting input. Your description sounds completely like my X1000 .
I just thought I've tried everything. I have also written to Amigakit but they do not respond.
I've talked to a PC repairman but he would not touch the Amiga as it was completely unknown land to him.
I have almost accepted that my amiga time is over, but I just try again to see if I can clean the PCU connection again or in some other way. Thank you for giving me a little hope again.
Regards Peter
Petrol wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 11:23 am Hi,

Recently my X1000 refused to boot also with some strange serial output, different from time to time, with reboot or halt at board init, with sometimes error indicating that no VGA valid board were found, and sometimes nothing att all. I suspected my GFX card and replace it with the old one without any luck. I replaced the battery and same result. With all the test, the PSU was like KO, no power on. I suspected it to became too weak or damaged because I remarked that one of the GFX fan was slower that the others before it stopped working. I went to my local commputing store to bought a new one, and the technician offered me to look at the machine to check it up.
My PSU was OK finally, It tells me that he unmounted all parts and checked and cleaned all the connectics. He reassembled all parts again, and tada, it booted again with all the original parts!
It is now working again.

Regards,
AmigaX1000
Hypex
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by Hypex »

Without a serial setup you are almost diagnosing blind here, needing to rely on LEDs. It's unfortunate these machines are designed for a developer to debug what is wrong rather than design it for a user to find what is wrong.

If you haven't already I would do a strip test. Strip down to bare minimum. That is disconnect all drives and all cards. Don't even try with any graphics card. And remove any input devices on USB and anything else plugged in externally. Caveman style, just the board in the case plugged into PSU. So only RAM remains. Turn it on and see if the LEDs light up as normal.

If not, switch it all off, then remove the RAM. Turn on again. Without a serial setup you can't tell what the machine is thinking or even if it is thinking. But that is usually a last resort.

A long shot, tried the recovery firmware?

Finally, according to your other thread, you replaced the CPU recently. I wonder if the new one has some conflict. Or some incompatibility to the X1000 power setup. Have you tried testing with your other PSU? This may be easier than stripping it down to test.

Edit: See you had trouble with your other CPU. Something obviously failed. Hopefully the PSU didn't do any damage to the board. Some early boards had a power problem where an IC would bust. Did you have a fixed board? Later ones fixed the issue.
musa

Post by musa »

Hi Hypex
Thank you very much for the answer.
I do not have serial port in my X1000
I have tried to disconnect all connections except the power supply.
(graphics, network cards, hard drives, ram, and floppy drives).
I have tried with a new power supply and I have tried again with the old one.
I have changed the coin battery.
I have not tried to recovery the firmware.
When I turn on the power there are light in diodes 1 and 2 for 1 second and then power is off .
Then I can not turn on the power for very long time.

For your last question about a fixed board, I do not know, but I was in the first shipment of X1000 that was sent out from Amigakit.
I currently have contact with Christopher from Amigakit but do not yet know if they have the opportunity to look at my board

Have a nice day
Peter

Hypex wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:00 am Without a serial setup you are almost diagnosing blind here, needing to rely on LEDs. It's unfortunate these machines are designed for a developer to debug what is wrong rather than design it for a user to find what is wrong.

If you haven't already I would do a strip test. Strip down to bare minimum. That is disconnect all drives and all cards. Don't even try with any graphics card. And remove any input devices on USB and anything else plugged in externally. Caveman style, just the board in the case plugged into PSU. So only RAM remains. Turn it on and see if the LEDs light up as normal.

If not, switch it all off, then remove the RAM. Turn on again. Without a serial setup you can't tell what the machine is thinking or even if it is thinking. But that is usually a last resort.

A long shot, tried the recovery firmware?

Finally, according to your other thread, you replaced the CPU recently. I wonder if the new one has some conflict. Or some incompatibility to the X1000 power setup. Have you tried testing with your other PSU? This may be easier than stripping it down to test.

Edit: See you had trouble with your other CPU. Something obviously failed. Hopefully the PSU didn't do any damage to the board. Some early boards had a power problem where an IC would bust. Did you have a fixed board? Later ones fixed the issue.
AmigaX1000
Hypex
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by Hypex »

musa wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 10:52 am Hi Hypex
Thank you very much for the answer.
I do not have serial port in my X1000
I have tried to disconnect all connections except the power supply.
(graphics, network cards, hard drives, ram, and floppy drives).
I have tried with a new power supply and I have tried again with the old one.
I have changed the coin battery.
I have not tried to recovery the firmware.
When I turn on the power there are light in diodes 1 and 2 for 1 second and then power is off .
Then I can not turn on the power for very long time.
I optioned on the serial port when I bought mine. It's just a simple backplate with serial port that plugs inside onto the serial header. Common PC ones have ten pins but X1000 is only three pins so you may need the official plate. They are still listed here:
http://amigakit.amiga.store/amigaone-x1 ... rrency=GBP

I also wonder, with removing items, if the PSU doesn't have enough load. This could cause a shut off as well. It's also possible some other card went belly up with or without the PSU involved. I don't know if you have many spare parts. They are good to keep around if you have the space. For example, a cheap PSU is good to have in testing times like these, because they aren't as fussy with loads and being less complicated can be useful.

The board problem was an easy fix for a tech. Just one small part IIRC. If that was the problem, and you had a diagram with details, anyone with the skills and parts could repair it locally. I forget the details. But it happened to a friend on here, Calgor, when his board shorted out and he needed to send it for repair. I don't know if this is your boards issue, but it would seem rare to not show up in all this time, unless you have really been fortunate and living with a disaster waiting to happen but knowing nothing of it. :o
musa

Post by musa »

Hi All
News from here.
Even though I had replaced the battery with a brand new one,
I was persuaded by another amiga user to take the battery out and measure how many volts there were on it.
I did so a week ago and to my surprise there was only 0.15 volts.
I do not know about how that it is possible (monday battery maybe)
but i have learned to check if there is power on a new battery.
New battery in the machine and now it starts completely without error.
Hooray.
Thanks for all the good advice
Have a nice day
Peter
AmigaX1000
Petrol
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by Petrol »

Welcome back then ;)
musa

Post by musa »

Petrol wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 4:58 pm Welcome back then ;)
Thanks
Have a nice day.
Peter
AmigaX1000
Hypex
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by Hypex »

You mean after al that it was the battery all along? :?: