DataTypes Descriptors...

Have a question about our Software Developer Kit? Ask them here.
xenic

Re: DataTypes Descriptors...

Post by xenic »

Belxjander wrote:@ThomasRapp
well... I haven't found a makefile based solution I am happy with so I am stuck with the gui-only tool for preparing descriptors.
I did an search for some sort of dtdesc sources but the only thing I came up with was in the dtdesc directory of the AROS sources. However, it appears that the code there takes a text file as input like the script on Aminet.

EDIT: With a few changes to makefiles I was able to compile the AROS code but it doesn't seem to work as well as the ARexx script (MakeDT 1.3) that thomasrapp mentioned. I think it would need some changes to work right for OS4.
Last edited by xenic on Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AmigaOne X1000 with 2GB memory - OS4.1 FE
Belxjander

Post by Belxjander »

@Xenic: I hadn't looked through the AROS sources comkpletely yet...

I was thinking of digging out AmigaE and writing something 68K+PPC equivalent as compiled code for both
commandline + gui construction of DataTypes Descriptors...

I'm still a bit wary of using ARexx for lots of small buffered file access due to watching the whole GB of sam440 ram get eaten by a simple line-by-line processing script for Perception-IME in trying to deal with making a custom index of Japanse-only Kanji from the UTF8 readings data.

Though I did find that there are Japanese readings NOT listed as part of that data makgn it crazy awkward with special case handling all over the place.

trying to deal with Japanese using only Japanese without english romaji is somewhat of a challenge.

anyway that aside... I've got some skeletal DataTypes I'm writing up as parts of Polymorph-VMM towards adding extra "alien" executable types (not just native powerpc ELF with legacy "hunk" format)

I'm deliberately doing it this way to use a custom Container+MemoryMap arrangement to allow for a more fine-grained approach to resource usage...

so far it is working with justvery basic operations... still working on some basic core features to be as bug free as possible and still remain flexible
xenic

Post by xenic »

Belxjander wrote:@Xenic: I hadn't looked through the AROS sources comkpletely yet...

I was thinking of digging out AmigaE and writing something 68K+PPC equivalent as compiled code for both
commandline + gui construction of DataTypes Descriptors...
I used the AROS "examinedtdesc" to read a system descriptor file (8SVX) and create an input file for the "createdtdesc" program. The output was significantly different from the original system descriptor so I wouldn't want to use those AROS functions as they are. The AROS code does include a small IFF library that could be useful. The AROS code and the MakeDT script could be the basis for a better program like you mentioned. It would really be nice if the program could extract most of the data needed by a descriptor from the actual dataype file like the old "dtdesc" program.
AmigaOne X1000 with 2GB memory - OS4.1 FE
Belxjander

Post by Belxjander »

Well...I havwe *finally* gotten MakeDT to work... with results I can be happy with...

now to get the rest of the DataType Descriptors written and into the build process
along with skeletal updates and flesh these out with other sections of code needing to be merged

@Xenic: I'm yet undecided whether to proceed with that or not...

But I will definitely have an interesting example usage of Polymorph-VMM coming up...

as the next stage of the project includes my needing to deal with device drivers as well as normal Applications and Libraries...

But this is still "per DataType/Environment"