SDK 53.24 ... and followups

Have a question about our Software Developer Kit? Ask them here.
kas1e
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Re: SDK 53.24 ... and followups

Post by kas1e »

@Steven
I don't understand that argument.
:) But what argument you else need, if developers ask for some readme/changelog file, where will be noted what was changed (at least key-features and major changes). They want to know it without loosing hours to find out it .. that imho pretty obvious and no need arguments.. Some text file, something like i note in previous post, and which Trixie update later (and we for sure and 100% miss something , which we not know, and which no one will know, and which no one will remember to recheck if he have problems back in the past). You are wrong if you think that no one will read it, change logs and release notes reads everyone who want to know what happens since last release. Its good that we at least add release_info driver for updates, but SDK shouldn't be exception, there also need to have something like this. Its just will make live of 3d party developers easy, and to make such a readme only few hours need it (i can help with it with no problems when time for new SDK come).
A diff is 100% accurate.
I.e. you want 3d party developers who want to do something in their spare time, to grab previous SDK, new SDK, and sit hours and compare manually dates, do diffs, check sizes, loose countless hours just to find out what and where was changed ? Imho that not very good. For us (who know what was changed), it will take just a few hours to do such a file, and we will save hours of productivity of 3d party devs.

Of course, notice every single change will be hard for , but key-changes readme are must if we want to make life of 3d party developers easy. I.e. , until i with Trixie not post that info, who ever know what was changed except some smarties who check dates of archives ? Why they should download new SDK on top of old one, if they do not know what was changed ? I mean, its really obvious that with each SDK release there should come "what_new.txt", or something like this, where we can (at least briefly) note what was changed, updated and co. There will be no needs to write any single change in every autodoc and will be enough to say "fixed bucnh of typos in autdocs", but such a "big" updates like fresh mui includes, new dos sdk, new kernel functions and so on are 100% and must be noted, so developers will know what new they can do, without random guess work and loosing hours of time , which they can spend on actual coding with usage of new stuff. Better we will spend few hours one time, in compare that every 3d party developer will do the same and in sum we will have less hours of productivity.
Anything a human tells you would be a lie to some degree because they will omit things.
Some note like "that is not full list of changes, we just describe major ones", can be added to the end of readme file, so ppls will know that there not everything noted, just some major moments.
ssolie
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by ssolie »

@kas1e
Argue all you like but I'm not going back in time to create a change log and that's my final answer.
ExecSG Team Lead
blmara

Post by blmara »

ssolie wrote:@kas1e
Argue all you like but I'm not going back in time to create a change log and that's my final answer.
Sorry to hear that.

Some time ago I updated the Finnish locale files of YAM. The developers have implemented a SVN repository that was easily installed locally, even for me only for the locale files. When committing changes, there was an instruction for the committer to add a line for ChangeLog about the changes done. You probably use similar approach (SVN or similar) for AOS and SDK development? With this way the changelog builds almost by itself and as some others have noted, you wouldn't need to be line-by-line specific, just the main points that application developer should know.

Marko
Marko
kas1e
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by kas1e »

@Steven
Back in time ? I am about next SDK updates, not about that one which already happen. I.e. to make all next SDK updates to be with some sort of short-readme where all developers can read about major changes. If you do not want to do so, some of us can do so and all you need its include that file later to sdk, so to make life of 3d party devs easy. I.e. i am not about that new sdk update, im about new ones which will come later.
trixie

Post by trixie »

@ssolie
kas1e wrote:I am about next SDK updates, not about that one which already happen. I.e. to make all next SDK updates to be with some sort of short-readme where all developers can read about major changes.
+ 1. We know things were quite busy before AmiWest, and we appreciate that you managed to get the SDK out in time for the show. Great job! But a changelog is a must for the next version - in that respect I side with kas1e.
The Rear Window blog

AmigaOne X5000 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon RX 560 / ESI Juli@ / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
SAM440ep-flex @ 667MHz / 1GB RAM / Radeon 9250 / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
zzd10h

Post by zzd10h »

ssolie wrote:
zzd10h wrote:Is there a way to see which functions are new or updated ?
A "What's new" file, maybe ?
I think it would easier if you just did a diff -r between the old one and the new one.

I didn't want to spend time explaining all the details in a text file nobody will ready anyway. ;)
I "diffed" but, honestly, it's unreadable, it spots me all the includes files who have only a timestamp modified,
I don't know why to "migrate" to this new SDK (I tried but except warns me about obsolete functions...) therefore I fallbacked to the old one.

Will be nice to have a changelog (I can't imagine that you don't have one to keep track of all the changes,but if you don't want to publish it, it is another story :) )
http://apps.amistore.net/zTools
X1000 - AmigaOS 4.1.6 / 4.1 FE
corto
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by corto »

To complete what kas1e listed, this is what I found with surface comparison (but still painful):

Archives with updated version number:
- clib2 (1.204 to 1.205)
- hieronymus (0.16 to 0.21)
- minigl (2.2 to 2.5)
- newlib (53.9 to 53.28)

New files in includes:
- ahi
- camd
- xena

New functions, per library:
- picasso96
p96LockBitMapToBoard
p96UnlockBitMapFromBoard
- cybergraphics
WritePixelArrayAlpha
BltTemplateAlpha
- dos
LockTagList
LockTags
GetPID
FlushVolume
ObtainConsoleData
ObtainConsoleDataTags
ReleaseConsoleData
Serialize
NameFromPort
DevNameFromPort
SameFH
LockRecord
UnLockRecord
IsFileSystemPort
InhibitPort
FormatPort
SerializePort
FlushVolumePort
FileHandleScan
GetFileSystemVectorPort
ResolvePath
- exec/debug
ReadTaskContext
WriteTaskContext
StackTrace
ObtainDebugSymbol
ObtainDebugSymbolTags
ReleaseDebugSymbol
- graphics
AllocBitMapTagList
AllocBitMapTags
- utility
Strlen

There are also many functions marked as deprecated in exec.

I am really glad to see new functions, notably in the exec/debug library, I will look at that deeper.
zzd10h

Post by zzd10h »

Many thanks, Corto !
http://apps.amistore.net/zTools
X1000 - AmigaOS 4.1.6 / 4.1 FE
ssolie
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by ssolie »

@all
We do plan to include a change log in the next SDK. I just didn't have time this time around.
ExecSG Team Lead
AmiDARK

Post by AmiDARK »

Thank you SSolie.

It will be really useful and "time saving" for all the Amiga OS 4 developers :)

Regards,
AmiDARK
Sam440EP - AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition