SDK 53.24 ... and followups

Have a question about our Software Developer Kit? Ask them here.
colinw
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Re: SDK 53.24 ... and followups

Post by colinw »

blmara wrote: ...
But here I don't understand the CONST_ part,
There is a detailed explanation of this halfway down in the include file; exec/types.h
phx

Post by phx »

A simple download link to the SDK would be nice, so developers also have the possibility to load the archive onto a GUI-less server, using wget or lynx.

With Lynx I'm getting "Unsupported URL scheme". *sigh* :roll:

Code: Select all

Download SDK_53.24.lha

Click the link below to download the file. Do not select "save as"
   Download

Main Menu
Alert!: Unsupported URL scheme!
I already realized that I have to update vbcc's libauto, because the application.library interface is now version 2. Is it correct to read the interface version generally from the version-attribute of the interface tag? The minor version number has no meaning?
blmara

Post by blmara »

colinw wrote:
blmara wrote: ...
But here I don't understand the CONST_ part,
There is a detailed explanation of this halfway down in the include file; exec/types.h
Ok, thanks, found it but still not sure why the different CONST's are needed. Maybe a short explanation in the SDK FAQ?

Marko
Marko
ssolie
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by ssolie »

blmara wrote:Ok, thanks, found it but still not sure why the different CONST's are needed. Maybe a short explanation in the SDK FAQ?
This is purely a C language understanding issue. It is nothing specific to Amiga. As such, it doesn't belong in our SDK FAQ.

I recommend you take a look around the web on what the const keyword is and how to use it correctly. Then the change should make a lot more sense to you.
ExecSG Team Lead
blmara

Post by blmara »

ssolie wrote:...
I recommend you take a look around the web on what the const keyword is and how to use it correctly. Then the change should make a lot more sense to you.
Ok, found something with Google. Thanks!
Marko
Marko
corto
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by corto »

ssolie wrote:
zzd10h wrote:Is there a way to see which functions are new or updated ?
A "What's new" file, maybe ?
I think it would easier if you just did a diff -r between the old one and the new one.

I didn't want to spend time explaining all the details in a text file nobody will ready anyway. ;)
A file with release notes and changes would be very welcome. A diff is not convenient and leads to guess what has changed.
I have not installed the new SDK yet (had no time) but if there is no new features announced, I see no major reason to update.
Maybe someone else could write this file?
kas1e
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by kas1e »

@All
Change log 100% necessary for SDK, that must to have , so developers will know at least major key features.

@corto
Maybe someone else could write this file?
All i can say about SDK 53.24 is:

1). New mui SDK : so if you mui coder, you will have all latest stuff (new examples, new classes, new autodocs and everything related to)
2). New DOS SDK : so you can use all those new API (the most important is those filesystem related ones)
3). newlib was updated in few areas: dealing with some singnal related includes (to avoid dupes with some ports), new ftruncate64(), termios implementation (based on clib), initstate(), setstate(), srandom() and random() implemented, improved fcntl(), added globl()/globlfree() related functions: and whole general cleanup, so SDK have all of this.
4). new kernel includes and all related to it (new debug related functions added and bunch of other which i didn't trace).
5). some fixes in cybergraphics-emulation includes (to make WritePixelArrayAlpha works by default)
6). few new functions in graphics.library (and so in SDK of it as well) : AllocBitMapTags() and AllocBitMapTagList().
7). bunch of fixes in boopsi related includes and all those *.gadgets (typos, cleanup, small fixes)

And in whole fixes of bunch of typos in autodocs and includes, and its just what i know. But there was more for sure.

There is also some areas which just pure outdated, and wasn't updated because there was needs to release SDK as faster as possible, so i hope that all will be changed pretty soon now, and new SDK will be released (together with normal change log).

Why there wasn't such readme/changelog with release of SDK : i do not know. But it should be there of course so developers will know what changes and what happens. Its 100% must, the same as release notes for updated components for which we bet for few years and which happens at last. Hope with SDK there will be no needs to explain it few more years :))
salass00
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by salass00 »

kas1e wrote: 6). few new functions in graphics.library (and so in SDK of it as well) : AllocBitMapTags() and AllocBitMapTagList().
The AllocBitMapTagList/Tags() were added in graphics.library 53.7 which hasn't been released to the public yet (latest public version is 53.6 according to update.amigaos.net).
ssolie
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by ssolie »

corto wrote:A file with release notes and changes would be very welcome. A diff is not convenient and leads to guess what has changed.
I don't understand that argument. A diff is 100% accurate. Anything a human tells you would be a lie to some degree because they will omit things.
ExecSG Team Lead
trixie

Post by trixie »

@kas1e

8) Fixed bugs in application.library interfaces, so an update to the latest SDK is pretty much compulsory for everyone who registers his/her programs with the library (all decent OS4 applications should register).
The Rear Window blog

AmigaOne X5000 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon RX 560 / ESI Juli@ / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
SAM440ep-flex @ 667MHz / 1GB RAM / Radeon 9250 / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition