Help needed setting up Cubic IDE to work with OS4.x SDK

Have a question about our Software Developer Kit? Ask them here.
kas1e
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Re: Help needed setting up Cubic IDE to work with OS4.x SDK

Post by kas1e »

@Rigo
As far as Codebench is in question, i found that with latest releases of RichEditor.gadget, things start to be much slower.

And, what every editor on amiga miss : proper vertical marking of blocks. RichEditor.gadget very slow there and didn't work properly. I remember i created bug reports about, but it was years ago.
Hypex
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by Hypex »

Rigo wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 12:42 am Every one is different, and their basic needs are different. Trying to create software for everyone is always going to be a difficult task. That said, how about listing some of your basic requirements, and perhaps those that are developing editors et al, could implement some of the more popular features you require...
I don't think my basic needs are too complex and I have seen them in various editors including Amiga editors. They be more specific to code but I was asking about a code editor. Most of what I need can be found in generic Linux editors like Xed with a few add ons. And for anyone that edits code like C they would be fairly obvious needs after working with it. Unless some people really like doing things the hard way.
  • Standard key combos like OS standard Amiga-ZXCV.
  • Block indent to move whole text blocks a tab back or forward.
  • Block commenting or uncommenting.
  • Block 2d selection at times where I need to mark a 2d section of text without whole lines.
  • Parentheses and curly brace tracking so you can see where it opens and shuts.
  • Syntax highlighting.
  • Red lining obvious errors.
  • Indent management and auto indenting. That is ability to set tab spaces which is fairly standard across the board. Plus auto indent of cursor for code blocks. As well as an import and export filter that cleans out white-space and makes sure text has proper tabs or spacing in right spots.I find that editors on Amiga either use spaces or tabs and loading a C source looks messed up in one or the other.
I tried CodePad but it's getting old now and lacks basics like block indent and and setting tabs. It does however do syntax highlighting. So it's getting there.
trixie

Post by trixie »

kas1e wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 6:55 am i found that with latest releases of RichEditor.gadget, things start to be much slower.
I can confirm it's very slow on my X5000. In fact, the richeditor.gadget slowness is beyond tolerable, with characters going missing when I type. This is why I've downgraded to an older version of CodeBench, in which the gadget worked fine.

The slowness might possibly be related to the missing DMA in the graphics.library on the X5000 because when I asked Andy if the gadget had become slow on his X1000, he said no.
The Rear Window blog

AmigaOne X5000 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon RX 560 / ESI Juli@ / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
SAM440ep-flex @ 667MHz / 1GB RAM / Radeon 9250 / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
kas1e
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by kas1e »

@Trixie
The slowness might possibly be related to the missing DMA in the graphics.library on the X5000 because when I asked Andy if the gadget had become slow on his X1000, he said no.
In beta we already have graphics library with working DMA, and it's all the same sadly
trixie

Post by trixie »

@kas1e
kas1e wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 9:40 pm In beta we already have graphics library with working DMA, and it's all the same sadly
Oh, that's too bad! :-(
The Rear Window blog

AmigaOne X5000 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon RX 560 / ESI Juli@ / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
SAM440ep-flex @ 667MHz / 1GB RAM / Radeon 9250 / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition