strange Chooser behaviour

This forum is for general developer support questions.
turbo4.1

strange Chooser behaviour

Post by turbo4.1 »

in one of my programs i use a chooser and limit the number of visible options with CHOOSER_MaxLabels. this seems to be work fine.
but now i recognize in testing, that the limited options only works, when i open the chooser-list, not when i click on the rotated arrow at the left. then all options are shown when i click repeatly on the chooser.
is this a bug in the chooser or is something wrong in my program?
Amiga user since 1987
Sam440Flex 666Mhz, Radeon 9250, 1GB RAM
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Re: strange Chooser behaviour

Post by nbache »

Isn't the purpose of this tag to limit the size (as in screen space occupied) of the popped up list by limiting the number of entries shown at a time?

If so, it makes sense to me that you can still click through them all with the arrow button (like the original behaviour).

But I may be wrong. Anyway, from the autodoc description, it's hard to tell which of our interpretations is correct.

Best regards,

Niels
turbo4.1

Post by turbo4.1 »

on my opinion it makes no sense to limit only the list. i never use before only the "arrow", i open the pop-up list and choose the entry and there is no hint in this list, that something is not shown. maybe the most user act so.
Amiga user since 1987
Sam440Flex 666Mhz, Radeon 9250, 1GB RAM
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

Well, when I say "the original behaviour", I'm referring to the way the Cycle Gadget worked in OS 2.x-3.x, like described here: https://wiki.amigaos.net/wiki/UI_Style_ ... le_Gadgets

That's what was the origin of the current Chooser, I believe.

Then, IIRC inspired by MUI and/or Windows' ComboBox, later on it got the ability to pop up a list to choose from instead of just cycling through the options.

Best regards,

Niels