SWAP not works ?

This forum is for Pegasos II specific issues.
sailorMH

SWAP not works ?

Post by sailorMH »

Hello,

how can I test if virtual memory works or not?
I have Pegasos2 with 1G Ram, swap partition settings: Name=SWAP, automount, type=SWAP, blocksize=4096, mask=FFFFFFFE, MaxTransfer=7FFFFFFF

On my Peg is installed MorphOs, AmigaOs, Debian and NetBSD..

but shell command avail shows only physical memory, and Prefs/workbench screen title shows the same ammount for virtual and other mem, always less then 1GB.
It seems that SWAP doesnt work. Is there any testing tool, or need I some special settings on Pegasos?
Micro A1-C (G3/1.2 GHz), AmigaOne XE (G4/1.4 GHz), Pegasos II (G4/1.33 GHz), Sam440ep, Sam440ep-flex, AmigaOne X1000
Efika 5200b, Pegasos I, Powerbook, Mac Mini (1.83 GHz), iMac, Powermac Quad

AmigaOS, MorphOS, linux, MacOS X
tonyw
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Re: SWAP not works ?

Post by tonyw »

Your settings seem to be correct.

There is no way to test if it is working; when it works, it is seamless. You can't see extra memory or anything obvious like that.
You won't see any figures that tell you how much of the swap space is used. There are some kernel commands that will dump pager (swap) information and you can find them in the Documentation/ drawer. But they are pretty low level and you might not get any useful information out of them.

Don't make the mistake of loading lots of big files into RAM: in an attempt to force paging.
cheers
tony
sailorMH

Post by sailorMH »

thank for information.
As I dont run out of memory yet, it probably works :-)
Micro A1-C (G3/1.2 GHz), AmigaOne XE (G4/1.4 GHz), Pegasos II (G4/1.33 GHz), Sam440ep, Sam440ep-flex, AmigaOne X1000
Efika 5200b, Pegasos I, Powerbook, Mac Mini (1.83 GHz), iMac, Powermac Quad

AmigaOS, MorphOS, linux, MacOS X
tlosmx
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by tlosmx »

open a shell and type:
memstats
there you will see of much memory and virtual are used/allocaded

Ciao
Luigi
AmigaOne Xe 933 mhz Radeon 9000pro Samsung 840 SSD
Pegasos2 1266mhz Radeon 9800pro Verbatib Sata3 SSD
Sam 460ex Lite 2gb Ram , Radeon 6670,Toshiba 500gb Sata/HDD
Amiga Cd32 / Amiga 600 / Amiga 500 / Amiga CDtv/ Amiga 4000 / Amiga 1200 /Amiga 2000 and many many many z3 Boards
kas1e
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by kas1e »

@sailorMH
Hold for some time with swap, it have some moments to fix (already reported and author aware of them). I.e. if you just hope that when you will fill out your real memory and swap will be in use, then in real-use for now its not like this. I.e. swap trying to be in use, but have some loop of checks which author will fix.