Pegasos2 Tips & Tricks

This forum is for Pegasos II specific issues.
sailorMH

Re: Pegasos2 Tips & Tricks

Post by sailorMH »

kas1e wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 5:23 pm Wait, but we also can't boot from Sii3114 as well? I mean, we can't both from both. Or with Promise one there is just a new issue about morphos you describe but in terms of "boot from" they both "useless"?
I will explain. Imagine three usecases - IDE, SII 3x1x and Promise.
I assume read speeds with overclocked Pegasos2 - 1.33Ghz

1. onboard IDE/PATA controller with SATA reduction ( 55 MB/s ):
nothing special, all partitions are visible from OpenFirmware(OF), all volumes can be on IDE HDD/SSD.

2. PCI card SII 3x1x - SATA I ( 84 MB/s ):
you can easily boot ( I wrote it in my post somewhere above ) this way:
- kernel and core drivers, incl. 3x1x driver have to be on IDE CF/HDD/SSD. It means boot.img (for MorphOs) and amigaboot.of+Kikckstart (for AmigaOs) must reside on IDE partition, everything other, include volume System: can be on SII 3x1x HDD/SSD.

3. PCI card Promise - SATA II ( 114 MB/s ):
- to boot easy way (like SII 3x1x), kernel and core drivers, incl. Promise driver have to be on IDE CF/HDD/SSD.
Unfortunatelly AmigaOs have no Promise driver, so this card is unusable for any AmigaOs volumes.
MorphOs dont't have Promise driver builtin in boot.img. The Promise MorphOs driver (ulsata2.device) reside on DEVS: and all volumes on Promise card have to be mounted via mount command+mountlist.
It means, that your System: volume must be active and readable BEFORE mounting Promise Volumes.
There are several partial solutions:
- Use Promise only for Work:, Backup: etc. Volume System: and all AmigaOs volumes stay on slow IDE.
- System: on SII 3x1x. This occupy two of three PCI slots for SATA adapters.
- Two System: volumes. One on IDE partition to boot from it. Second is identical copy on Promise volume. After boot process you have to mount Promise volumes, dismount all assigns on IDE and assign all to Promise. I don't test it, if is it possible.

In any case, I use Pegasos for both MorphOs and AmigaOs, so Promise have sense for me only if I have free PCI slot. I have occupied all three ( SII 3x14 card, USB2 card, SoundBlasterLive! )

Here is explanation of booting process
MorphOS: https://library.morph.zone/Open_Firmwar ... ng_MorphOS
AmigaOs: https://wiki.amigaos.net/wiki/UserDoc:H ... _procedure http://lifeofliveforit.blogspot.com/201 ... gaos4.html
Micro A1-C (G3/1.2 GHz), AmigaOne XE (G4/1.4 GHz), Pegasos II (G4/1.33 GHz), Sam440ep, Sam440ep-flex, AmigaOne X1000
Efika 5200b, Pegasos I, Powerbook, Mac Mini (1.83 GHz), iMac, Powermac Quad

AmigaOS, MorphOS, linux, MacOS X
sailorMH

Post by sailorMH »

lazi wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 1:31 pm
Did anyone were able to boot from the SII314 card directly?
AFAIK the OF only boots from the IDE bus. It is a Peg. OF limitation. Just as the required PS2 keyboard.
This information about PS/2 is caused by reading the Pegasos 2 manual. I made the same mistake. In manual also mentioned, that OpenFirmware of Pegasos can boot only from FFS (and maybe ext2) IDE partitions.
I still have in my Pegasos 2 PS/2 keyboard and booting from FFS.

With newest firmware is posible to use USB keyboard and boot from SFS partition too (with SFS the blocksize 512=default ).
The limitation of booting from IDE still remains. Other possibility is boot from network. No SiI 3114 or other PCI partition, no USB.

It means, that I can rearrange my current boot IDE disk:
sailorMH wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:18 pm Configuration on my Pegasos 2:
1. CF card (with IDE->CF adapter) on IDE:0 with two partitions only :
- bootcf:, formatted as FFS, size 1GB (but 100MB is sufficient). Here is amigaboot.of (Amigaos), boot.img(Morphos), various linux kernels and bootscript. Bootscript is generated with bootcreator and I use it like boot menu for selecting between Oses.
- amkernel:, formated as SFS, size 1GB (but 20MB is sufficient). It contains only single directory - "Kickstart". You have to copy it from AmigaOs SYS:.
to one SFS partition only:
- bootcf:, formated as SFS, size 2GB with amigaboot.of, directory "Kickstart", boot.img, linux kernels, bootscript.

There is also one feature - booting from .iso image without burning the cd.
It have no big sense for AmigaOs, becouse it's updates are done via AmiUpdate, but is big help with MorphOs updates.
If the SFS/FFS partition is big enough ( SFS is much faster here) you can:
- copy boot.img from morphos-3.X.iso to yourIDEbootpartition: as boot-X.img
- copy morphos-X.iso to yourIDEbootpartition:
- boot with this command: boot hd:0 boot-X. img bootimage=yourIDEbootpartition:morpohos-3.X.iso

With AmigaOS .iso this can be done too, only is needed to copy also /Kickstart directory.
But it have no practical sense, as only AmigaOs CD is original CD.

It's been known for a long time (newest OF firmware is ~2005), I just didn't know about it and I burned a cd every time. My mistake. :?
Micro A1-C (G3/1.2 GHz), AmigaOne XE (G4/1.4 GHz), Pegasos II (G4/1.33 GHz), Sam440ep, Sam440ep-flex, AmigaOne X1000

kas1e
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by kas1e »

I just can't chill out about non-booting from the Sii3114, as I clearly see it in devices, can list it, etc. It looks like just a matter of some settings .. but well.

Anyway, I read a few days ago that Zoltan (this one who works on QEMU) add pegasos2 support to QEMU (very beta, all in the beginning for now). But then, he has a plan to rewrite OF. Maybe (just maybe), we can use later that rewritten OF where if possible can be added features such as booting from sii3114, or, like using of RX/HD cards via PCI2PCIe adaptors. Need to talk with him about his plans.
sailorMH

Post by sailorMH »

kas1e wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:29 pm Anyway, I read a few days ago that Zoltan (this one who works on QEMU) add pegasos2 support to QEMU (very beta, all in the beginning for now). But then, he has a plan to rewrite OF. Maybe (just maybe), we can use later that rewritten OF where if possible can be added features such as booting from sii3114, or, like using of RX/HD cards via PCI2PCIe adaptors. Need to talk with him about his plans.
That is very good news!
Are somewhere more info about it? Especially use of HD cards and PCI-PCIe bridge will be great.

sailorMH

Post by sailorMH »

kas1e wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:29 pm I just can't chill out about non-booting from the Sii3114, as I clearly see it in devices, can list it, etc. It looks like just a matter of some settings .. but well.
I was playng with it when I overclocked Pegasos and don't succeed. I stop examining it, because IDE slot is free and is very easy to make here boot partition with kernel only.
If I remember good, you can see SiI in devices, but only like raid, and no JBOD disks behind it?
I have to check it again. But one or two weeks later. Now I have on table with Pegasos monitor Bethelem model (stayed yet from Christmas) ;-)
I can test SiI3114 on PC, and try to setup the raid with BIOS utility (if there is any) to JBOD.

kas1e
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by kas1e »

@All
Is anyone know what is differences between different pegasos2 revisions ?

On https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pegasos i see lot of revesions for Pegasos2, and interesting to know what the diffences.

For example what is difference between Pegasos II/G4, Board: 1.0 (2B3) and Pegasos II/G4, Board: 1.2 (2B5) ? I assume the later ones should have more fixes , but which ones ?