New here

This forum is for all AmigaOne 500, Sam440 and Sam460 specific issues.
musa

New here

Post by musa »

Hi Sam forum
I've had an Amigax1000 for many years but it died last year. Now I have been signed up for a Sam640cr board and am now trying to understand what the machine can do before I get it.
I have many more questions but let me start with this.
Can anyone tell me how mane sata ports Sam640 can handle via a sata pci card like Silicon Image SiI3114 4 ports.
I have without knowing anything got the impression that sam max. can handle 2 sata port. Is it wrong or right
Thanks in advance
AmigaX1000
Follow me on twitter @basjoo_dk
sailorMH

Re: New here

Post by sailorMH »

Hi Musa,

I'm sorry about your x1000. Its was perfect machine.
I have no Sam460ex, only Sam440ep-flex. But as I know there is one onboard SATA2 port in Sam460, but if you use it, you cannot use PCIex1 slot.
Common solution is to use SiI3114 SATA card in PCI/66 slot.
Kas1e here have Sam460, and here is link to his excellent video, it may helps. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X75KbnOpZhA
Micro A1-C (G3/1.2 GHz), AmigaOne XE (G4/1.4 GHz), Pegasos II (G4/1.33 GHz), Sam440ep, Sam440ep-flex, AmigaOne X1000
Efika 5200b, Pegasos I, Powerbook, Mac Mini (1.83 GHz), iMac, Powermac Quad

AmigaOS, MorphOS, linux, MacOS X
musa

Post by musa »

Hi and thanks for the reply.
sailorMH wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 4:04 pm Hi Musa,
I'm sorry about your x1000. Its was perfect machine.
I have no Sam460ex, only Sam440ep-flex. But as I know there is one onboard SATA2 port in Sam460, but if you use it, you cannot use PCIex1 slot.
Common solution is to use SiI3114 SATA card in PCI/66 slot.
Kas1e here have Sam460, and here is link to his excellent video, it may helps. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X75KbnOpZhA

It is a sam460cr I have been written up for and it has not sata on the motherboard.
I know the movie well as I have seen it several times, but in the movie he only uses 1 sata drive of the 4 on the sata pci card.
Thanks Musa
AmigaX1000
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

I can't see any reason why you would be restricted from using all four ports on the SiI3114.

I have a Sam460ex (not cr, but still) set up to use both PCIs and no builtin SATA, and an SiI3114, where I have a DVD on port 0, an SSD on port 1, and a HD on port 2.

Best regards,

Niels
musa

Post by musa »

Hi Niels
Thanks for reply.
It sounds good.
Thanks for the help
Musa
AmigaX1000
tonyw
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by tonyw »

Hi Musa,

Sorry to hear about your X1000. Can it be fixed?

The X1000 was the best Amiga ever made, IMO. My X1k is my development machine - I do all my development on it, then pass compiled programs over to other machines via Samba for testing.

It has been my experience that the X1k suffers from poor connections to the memory DIMMs. Every now and then I have to remove them, clean the contacts with a soft pencil eraser and brush out the board connectors before reseating the DIMMs. They then work again for another year or two. That might be worth trying on your machine.
cheers
tony
musa

Post by musa »

tonyw wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 12:02 am Hi Musa,

Sorry to hear about your X1000. Can it be fixed?
Hey Tonyw
I'm also very sorry my X1000 died. I do not think I can do anything and it has not been possible to get someone who knows anything about that kind of thing to look at my board. Completely without anything connected on the table, the board responds by power connection to wake up for a sec, and then shut down completely. Afterwards, it will take several hours before I can repeat the experiment. Now I have given up but am so lucky that Acube has signed me up for a sam640 board this year.
Thank you for your advice
Musa
AmigaX1000
tonyw
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by tonyw »

I know it's what everybody says and probably someone has said it to you already, but have you tried it with a new coin cell? An old exhausted cell will certainly stop your computer from working and they only cost a couple of dollars each, so to try a new one is worth the expense. Or if you have a multimeter, just check from the exposed top of the cell to chassis - should be at least 3.0 V.

You need a CR2032 IIRC, but check first. If you decide to replace it, clean all traces of fingerprints off it before installing it in the mobo, or else corrosion will start. Never hold it with pliers or tweezers that connect to the two sides, or you will short circuit the cell and ruin it.
cheers
tony
sailorMH

Post by sailorMH »

yes, tonyw is right,
I had one time also problem with X1000.
I repaced battery coin and PSU and all was fine.
Micro A1-C (G3/1.2 GHz), AmigaOne XE (G4/1.4 GHz), Pegasos II (G4/1.33 GHz), Sam440ep, Sam440ep-flex, AmigaOne X1000
Efika 5200b, Pegasos I, Powerbook, Mac Mini (1.83 GHz), iMac, Powermac Quad

AmigaOS, MorphOS, linux, MacOS X
musa

Post by musa »

Hi Tonyw and sailorMH
I have changed the battery and power supply. I do not have much hope anymore. That's why I'm happy to grab a sam at a price I can pay. I'm retired and could not afford to have bought an X1000 today. Thank you for your interest in my dead X1000.
Have a nice day
Musa
AmigaX1000