Kickstart Boot failure [again!]

This forum is for all AmigaOne 500, Sam440 and Sam460 specific issues.
Belxjander

Kickstart Boot failure [again!]

Post by Belxjander »

I know I have previously discussed Kickstart boot failures...

and as the topic points out... I have run into this *again*...

My sam440flex is currrently only booting from an 80GB SATA disk with 4.1u1 installed...

AmigaOS 4.1 Final [cd-rom] / 4.1Final Update1 [HDD] or 4.1Final Update2 [HDD] *all* fail and lockup with the display showing the last
Kickstart module loaded without proceeding to the Initial boot logo display.

I did think this was potentially a Firmware or settings issue... and have currently tried and failed with the following tasks...

stripping ALL devices excepting keyboard/mouse and monitor and booting only a CD-ROM,
4.1u1 CD boots, installable and usable from HDD (current working system)
4.1Final CD *fails* with the above Kickstart being loaded and apparently some kind of internal lockup.

Would anyone have any ideas as to what may have changed with regards a *working* Kickstart+System combination showing this kind of failure
after a "reset sync" command being issued?

I am unaware of any system level changes that may have occured as I was trying to reset and test a device driver at the time [the driver itself is loaded later on after the startup-sequence is already executing from a command reference,

I'm not daring enough to actually try writing a Kickstart Module to be included into the OS prior to setpatch at this time.
colinw
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Re: Kickstart Boot failure [again!]

Post by colinw »

When wierd stuff like that happens to my SAM440, I just power off, pull out the RAM stick, clean the pins with a cotton cloth and reseat in the socket. It usually works then.

If yours is one with the RAM soldered on the main board, you're out of luck.
Belxjander

Post by Belxjander »

I've just tried unplugging and replugging the memory,

Attempted booting from the 4.1 Final CD ... again... dead after Kickstart without a Boot Logo.

no apparent change that I can detect...

I'm considering experimenting with changing out kmod versions where I can see it being possible at this point...

mostly my idea consists of trying the newer filesystem modules with the older kernel to start with...

then proceeding with checking module by module through resource and device modules first...

leaving the extensionless and library modules for last...

other than trying to find some means of using an RPi or BeagleBoneBlack to read debug messages off the serial port... I have no idea how to go about debugging what is happening or breaking inside the Kickstart itself...
Raziel

Post by Raziel »

Belxjander wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 1:15 am Would anyone have any ideas as to what may have changed with regards a *working* Kickstart+System combination showing this kind of failure
after a "reset sync" command being issued?
Are the other HDDs/CD drives plugged into the same SATA chain than the drive that works?
If so then it's really a strange error and i would suspect something broken in the kickstart modules, see 1) and 2)
If not then make sure to check if the non working media have the IDE/SATA driver enabled in kickstart modules (xxx.device.kmod), see also kickstart/diskboot.config (because the firmware uses, as far as i know, it's own rudimentary SATA/IDE driver to access HDDs/CDs), but i may be wrong, of course.

1) Check the cabling, i don't know how it looks in your SAM, but try to un- and replug the SATA/IDE cables and see what that does.
(Always check the cabling first, it might work by accident, but won't later, believe me, i had some strange cable issues myself)

2) I'd compare the kickstart modules in your working setup with the non working media.
Check if there are differences/updated modules (there will be) and see what happens if you replace them (on a backup hdd setup)
People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Belxjander

Post by Belxjander »

Checked ALL the cabling ( Ive got plenty of spare cables for that)...

turns out one of the two removable ram modules was bad so 512MB of memory is gone...