Sam440 and keyboard/mouse via hub or KVM switch: Still unstable

This forum is for all AmigaOne 500, Sam440 and Sam460 specific issues.
TomSoniq

Sam440 and keyboard/mouse via hub or KVM switch: Still unstable

Post by TomSoniq »

Hi all,

I've still got issues with my keyboard and mouse connected to the Sam440 via a KVM switch. The hardware and software sees this as a USB hub, nothing more. In fact two different KVM switches and two different USB hubs I've tested show exactly the same behaviour:

If the both the mouse keyboard connection survive system boot (sometimes they don't) then I'm losing at least one of them after a while minutes of normal operation. I can't predict when this happens. Can be after a few minutes, can be after half an hour.

Pulling the USB plug from the hub to the Sam440 and plugging it back in usually brings both back to life. Pulling the USB plug of the dead device from the hub and plugging it back in also works.

It doesn't matter which port I use. It happens on both of the rear ports and also on a fron port which I've connected via a standard ribbon cable adapter.

Installing the latest update of AmigaOS 4.1 FE didn't change anything at all. It didn't make it any better but it also didn't make it worse.

Any idea how this can be resolved? I can even lend a Sam440 + USB hub + keyboard and mouse to a OS4 USB-stack / -driver developer if needed. ;)
amigadad

Re: Sam440 and keyboard/mouse via hub or KVM switch: Still unstable

Post by amigadad »

Hello:

I have my Sam440Flex Rev2 hocked up using a DVI KVM switch (Trendnet TK-214i). I also had issues with using any of the two external USB ports.

The only USB connection that would work with the KVM switch was J17 (OHCI only) on the motherboard. Another factor is the length of the USB cable. Basically, the shorter the better.

Hope this helps!!