ICONS gone USB->HDD

This forum is for all AmigaOne 500, Sam440 and Sam460 specific issues.
Camiga

ICONS gone USB->HDD

Post by Camiga »

Hello,

I am as always in deep Trouble with this platform. I have AmigaOne500 and OS4.1 FE. I ran into many many Problems and I just don't understand them.

I always copied files to the USB Stick (I have one that works) from Windows to AmigaONE. Since today, I only installed a MOD Player and SID4Amiga, I noticed that my copy function broke.

What it basically does is:
I tried VAMP from os4depot, copied the LHA to my HDD and depacked it and it DOES NOT COMBINE the files with the .info file. So I get ghost Icons from the program and a ghost Icon as .INFO. Normally, the .INFO should be the Icon for the Folder/file with the same Name. IS NOT.

I thought maybe it is the Archive. But now I have depacked it on my USB Stick (on PC) and it Shows fine ON THE USB. But when I copy all the files to the HDD, again, all Icons are just .info but not showing as usual. When I copy from HDD to HDD Partition, it seems to work normally.

Also, some files are not readable (read-protected) and when you try to copa a folder with such a file in it, the copy function just seem to stop instead of copying at least the other bits of the Folder.

Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kwx9zhsjcOA

Pictures (attachment):
Top: Before (USB) - bottom: after copying to HDD, all Icons are gone

So how can I repair that? Please don't tell me I have to re install all again after just ~10 hours of use and with 10 installations I did before because of various problems. Now as it seems to run a bit better, and I did not hack or Change anything much, now the next program Comes up. I am really going mad here and I see no solution to all my Problems that constantly rise up.

PLEASE help me. I am really desperate and disappointed.
Attachments
23698345_10213088011226728_1751884805_o.jpg
23660091_10213088067028123_1084181626_o.jpg
thomasrapp

Re: ICONS gone USB->HDD

Post by thomasrapp »

The .info files in the VAMP archive are not Amiga icons, they are PNG images. You need a plugin to view them as icons:
http://os4depot.net/index.php?function= ... png_im.lha
cha05e90

Post by cha05e90 »

Camiga wrote: I tried VAMP from os4depot, copied the LHA to my HDD and depacked it and it DOES NOT COMBINE the files with the .info file. So I get ghost Icons from the program and a ghost Icon as .INFO. Normally, the .INFO should be the Icon for the Folder/file with the same Name. IS NOT. .
What you see as a ".info"-file isn't actually a proper Amiga icon file, but a renamed PNG-Picture! As Thomas wrote you can install a special plugin to teach AmigaOS to interpret that picture file as an icon. Indeed it would have been be far better if the original author of the VAMP software would have included a proper Amiga icon file from the start - and not let you as a user hunt after plugins...may be you should write a short message to the VAMP author about this culprit.
X1000|II/G4|440ep|2000/060|2000/040|1000
thomasrapp

Post by thomasrapp »

Thinking a bit more of it, if the icons are shown correctly via USB but not on the internal harddisk, it cannot be the type of file IMHO. Then the same error would happen everywhere.

But the png_im readme mentions a "show .info files" option which can be enabled for drawers. Maybe this is set on for the drawer on the harddisk. Check the Window -> Show -> ??? menu.
broadblues
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by broadblues »

If show all files and show .info files (is that a beta feature? I lose track... ) are both enabled then the icons should show normally for the files they are associated with and as a second 'file' for the .info file.

The .info files in the mplayer grba appear to be showing as executables, which is very odd, unless the protection bots have been messed up.

How were the files coppied?

What file system is on the USB stick?

What file system is on the hard disk?

Can you list both hard disk drawer and usb drawer using the LIST in shell or perhaps filer to be sure all files have copied correctly?
Camiga

Post by Camiga »

NOT SOLVED - but i am a step closer to the problem.

On Mario War:
When I depack it on PC (Izarc) it shows the icon on the USB Stick on the Amiag ONE - BUT LISTEN: When I click "Show .info Icons" in the menu and go to Icon Information of the .info file, it is marked "NON READABLE". The Icon Information window has not tick/checkmark on the first Option, which is "readable". I use a German Translation so it could differ a bit from your menu.

When I now copy it to the HDD, the file disappears, as it is not readable (strangly, on the USB Stick it is readable?!?!? :?: ).

When I now mark the (seperated) .info file as READABLE and SAVE it, the Icon appears, BUT: The .info file does NOT DISAPPEAR. Very strange.

When I depack it on AMIGA (either USB or HDD) it seems to be OKAY.

I actually had this Problem before, when I copied SDL and some of the files the game needed were there, but did not work. I had to manually mark all as "readable". I had the message "Files are read protected" a few times before that.

But what makes it worse, it seems to be two problems in one, thus making it more complex and hard to understand.

NOW FOR VAMP:
VAMP does not work, it is READABLE, but still has no Icons. Does not matter where or how I depack it, the Icons are broken.
-- UPDATE / EDIT --
Installed png.iiconmodule not to LIBS:IconModules and it works now.

-- AMIUPDATE INFO & QUESTION--
The Ami update German Translation is the worst I ever saw. The german "Abort" means "Download". German "Passwort" is the user Name, the text "Offline Resource" is actually the Password (shown with **** when you type). Also all other Buttons are wrong.

Is there a way to edit those Buttons (catalog file probably)? If Hyperion just had a Little Ca$H I would find all the bugs...

So conclusion is:
- better to depack it on Amiga
- USB seems to have a bug/Problem with the readable flag
- VAMP Icons still dont work

My System is Amiga ONE 5000 SAM 460, 2 GB RAM
USB Stick is SanDisk Cruzer 4 GB, FAT32 (Amiga One says: FAT2)
Partitions:
Workbench: SFS/00
Bootable: SFS/00
Work: SFS/02
Work 2: SFS/02
Games: SFS/02
Attachments
USB - Shows Icon but is marked non-readable
USB - Shows Icon but is marked non-readable
HDD - non readable
HDD - non readable
HDD - saved/changed to readable
HDD - saved/changed to readable
broadblues
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by broadblues »

- AMIUPDATE INFO & QUESTION--
The Ami update German Translation is the worst I ever saw. The german "Abort" means "Download". German "Passwort" is the user Name, the text "Offline Resource" is actually the Password (shown with **** when you type). Also all other Buttons are wrong.
Sounds like the catalog is the wrong version.
So conclusion is:
- better to depack it on Amiga
**Always** unpack amiga archives on amiga, other operating system do not support the same range or types of protection bits. It may work unpacking else where sometimes but will cause issue sometimes.
- USB seems to have a bug/Problem with the readable flag
Never seen that, could be related to the unpacking on another OS perhaps?
- VAMP Icons still dont work
If yiu installed the plugin and rebooted, only thing I can sugest is to replace them with proper icons.
broadblues
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by broadblues »

PS could you please list the directories in shell and paste the results into the forums posts, badly framed screens shots are not very helpful.

Also if you must post screen shots maybe try using SYS:Utilities/SGrab to et real grabs of the screen.
Camiga

Post by Camiga »

> Sounds like the catalog is the wrong version.

So how can that happen and how can I fix it? Please attach the file, it is WAY OFF, not even Close. I think "unmark all checkmarks" does exactly the opposite in German, while the opposite of it has a Name not even related to what it does etc. I did not even know what to do. I did nothing to the catalog or anything, I just installed a few things and connected it to the Internet/AmiUpdate the first time yesterday. It was a fresh FE install so to say.

> **Always** unpack amiga archives on Amiga

Yes, okay, Unarc is very bad tho. On Amiga OS3.5 if you set an Folder like DH0:Test it writes DH0:Test in the text window, but depacks to DH0: You have to manually add a / at the end: DH0:Test/ to depack to Test Folder. On OS4.1 I could set a Standard Folder like RAM:, but how to "depack to THIS (Input file) Folder". Not sure of and how that is possible. It's a bit complicated to search the Folder or copy it around.

> Never seen that, could be related to the unpacking on another OS perhaps?

Well when the OS Displays it as "non readable" but it is readable, or handles it differently on different volumes, I would say the OS is to blame. When I copy from USB Stick to the HDD, it is the same data, so why should it magically display different suddenly?

If it would have displayed correctly (so: Not at all on USB) then I would not have this whole discussion because I would have seen that something is wrong in the first place. Even copying a "non readable" file cannot be possible, as how can you read it in for copy process when it is not readable? Whatever Izazrc messes up there, it still is not okay to act differently to what the OS dispalys for the user.

But I could check to mark a file as non-readable and see what happens.

> If yiu installed the plugin and rebooted, only thing I can sugest is to replace them with proper icons.

Please read UPDATED part of the post: Installed png.iiconmodule not to LIBS:IconModules and it works now.

> PS could you please list the directories in shell and paste the results into the forums posts, badly framed screens shots are not very helpful.

Problem is solved now, is it still needed for analysis???

> Also if you must post screen shots maybe try using SYS:Utilities/SGrab to et real grabs of the screen.

Maybe next time, but it's easy and faster to use the phone camera. Should be good enough to see what is ongoing but I will Keep it in mind.

Thank you, I am now currently a bit reliefed because I went through Major Trouble with it (e.g. Amiga OS 4.1 Update 6 did get stuck on Kickstart with 16 Colors boot Picture and nobody could help me) and now with the FE it seems to work. Now with this solved, and some programs and games running, I guess I can actually start doing something with it. So thanks for your help.
Camiga

Post by Camiga »

IMPORTANT - TEST - PLEASE READ

I tested it now. I copied the (broken) Archive from USB to HDD, LIST says:
- 20 files, 13 MByte - 7 Folders 26955 Blocks ON USB
- 20 files, 13 MByte - 7 Folders 26822 Blocks ON HDD

Could be because of file System difference I guess (FAT vs SFS)

BUT THE READABLE BUG I examined, too:
All tests with a WORKING depacked Archive (all Icons etc. are there and okay)

When I mark the .info of the Folder as non-readable ON THE HDD, the Folder get's renamed to Super Mario War.info, turns into a PROJECT type, and there is a .info.info file, also (seems to be still the "original" .info file).

When I do the same on the USB Stick, Amiga OS creates a .info.info file, the drawer stays a drawer, and the Icon information seems to come from the created .info.info file. When I also set the .info.info to unreadable, it creates .info.info.info (I guess that is readable).

Here is the Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQBzD007z20

I personally think that this is a huge bug, because I never told it to make an .info.info file, I never told it to make my drawer to a Project, I never told it to act differently on USB and HDD. I don't get it.

IMHO, what it should do is: When I set the .info to unreadable it should act like it is not there or deleted, what means the drawer should stay a drawer, but get a Standard Icon (from ENV:Sys/ I guess) and only be visible when you set it to "Show all files".

That also explains, why it did not Show up on the HDD, while it indeed did on the USB Stick, because the non-readable .info files get treated differently relative to their Location. Experts would say it is not a "consistant way of doing something".

And what about the AmiUpdate catalog?

I look Forward Hearing back from you.