Weird drive content

This forum is for all AmigaOne 500, Sam440 and Sam460 specific issues.
kilaueabart

Weird drive content

Post by kilaueabart »

The hard drive I am using in my SAM460ex is one I previously used in my deceased X1000. I had at one time made an attempt or two to install Ubuntu on it, with limited success. But I got to wondering whether I might be able to try to launch them in the SAM, so I took a look at the drive with Media Toolbox and found three partitions named "dhx." The first and third use Filesystem \00\00\00\00 and are both a bit over 93 GB. The middle dhx uses LNX\00 for 0.023 MB. I used to get at one or the other of those with CFE (? The X1000 replacement of UBoot) and I was getting ready to see how I might address those partitions with UBoot.

But while in Media Toolbox I noticed a dh2: and wondered what the heck that was. Info doesn't bring it up under that name, but it turns out to be the partition belonging to a disk item labeled "Empty" on Workbench. Very puzzling. Here is what is in it:
Directory "dh2:" on Friday 18-Aug-17
MCC_BetterString-11.30.lha 317711 ----rwed 19-Mar-17 18:54:30
SDK Dir ----rwed 10-Apr-17 14:56:05
AutoInstall 1568 ----rw-d 30-Jan-17 18:47:50
MUI Dir ----rwed 10-Apr-17 14:56:04
MUI.info 16828 ----rw-d 10-Apr-17 15:09:40
3 files - 328K bytes - 2 directories - 676 blocks used

4.DH0:> dir dh2:sdk all
MUI (dir)
Autodocs (dir)
MCC (dir)
MCC_Aboutbox.doc
MCC_BetterBalance.doc
MCC_Busy.doc view (see attached png)
MCC_ColorSlider.doc
MCC_Crawling.doc
MCC_GIFAnim.doc
(and on and on)
The very unsettling thing is that when I click on the MUI icon, I get this (as is the case for clicking on DH0:> MUI > MUI, of course):
weirdMUI.png
Who in the world is David Gerber, and why do I have a MUI registered to him?

Puzzling, yeah?
Last edited by kilaueabart on Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
javierdlr
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Re: Wierd drive content

Post by javierdlr »

MUI:
Seems you have in S: the file mui.key from other user. Did you register/pay for MUI? Not sure but I remember the mui key generator was "lost" or the author doesn't have time to generate such keys and sends a "generic" one.

DH2:
Do yuo have such partition automounted (MTB) or mark as hidden from Workbench prefs?

LINUX partitions:
On my SAM460ex I have 2 linux partitions. Using MediaToolbox I created 2 'dhx' partitions, LNX\00 is the linux boot partition (40MB) and the other EXT\03 (40GB) is the user/data partition.
Attachments
MTB partitions
MTB partitions
kilaueabart

Re: Weird drive content

Post by kilaueabart »

javierdlr wrote:MUI:
Seems you have in S: the file mui.key from other user. Did you register/pay for MUI? Not sure but I remember the mui key generator was "lost" or the author doesn't have time to generate such keys and sends a "generic" one.
I registered years and years ago, and I always copied over my mui.key when necessary. But something apparently happened in September 2015 that led to my getting a different one. I guess it doesn't hurt anything.
DH2:
Do yuo have such partition automounted (MTB) or mark as hidden from Workbench prefs?
Workbench Prefs shows no hidden partitions. DM2 lists both DH2: and Empty: but if I click on "DH2:" up comes a window named "Empty." I don't remember why I have such a partition; at "0% full, 22.9GB free, 15.8MB in use" it's a bit of a waste of space.
LINUX partitions:
On my SAM460ex I have 2 linux partitions. Using MediaToolbox I created 2 'dhx' partitions, LNX\00 is the linux boot partition (40MB) and the other EXT\03 (40GB) is the user/data partition.
I wonder why mine are so different. I'm pretty sure I followed the instructions on the Install disk, or else those of xeno74. Maybe I'll find time today to figure out how to try to boot one of them.
Last edited by kilaueabart on Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
javierdlr
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Re: Wierd drive content

Post by javierdlr »

DH2:
...Workbench Prefs shows no hidden partitions. DM2 lists both DH2: and Empty: but if I click on "DH2:" up comes a window named "Empty." I don't remember why I have such a partition; at "0% full, 22.9GB free, 15.8MB in use" it's a bit of a waste of space.
And when you start/launch MediaToolbox whats does it tells about DH2:?
Maybe an assign in S-S or U-S, or maybe you have in DEVS:DOSDrivers/ DH2 mountfile? ¿:-/
kilaueabart

Re: Weird drive content

Post by kilaueabart »

Media Toolbox doesn't have anything interesting to say. Gives the size; filesystem (DOS\03, for some reason); name DH2; Standard filesystem: FastFileSystem, International; Blocksize 512; Buffers 600.

No relevant assigns in almost-empty User-Startup, nor in Startup-Sequence.

Anyway, I don't see DH2: alias Empty: as a problem, just a curiosity.