recommissioning SAM460

This forum is for all AmigaOne 500, Sam440 and Sam460 specific issues.
javierdlr
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Re: recommissioning SAM460

Post by javierdlr »

@kilaueabart

Maybe you alreaduy know it, but when Uboot starts, just after device check (hdd,dvd,...), you can press SPACEBAR or ESC to go to Uboot menu settings (SPACEBAR) or to Uboot's commandline (ESC) and if you are in Uboot's commandline just type MENU and hit enter and you go to menu settings.

Uboot's menu is like old PC BIOS textmode window settings. There you can see (and change) settings in a nice/easier way.
kilaueabart

Post by kilaueabart »

nbache wrote:I'm not sure I understand you saying you don't have access to UBoot, but can work on env? The "setenv" and "saveenv" commands ARE issued within UBoot, specifically on the UBoot command line.
:oops: There doesn't seem to be a slapping oneself on the head smiley available, but I should have recognized UBoot. Too many years, and if I recall correctly, UBoot didn't always come up on booting, but one had to deliberately arouse it somehow. Nothing says "UBoot."
And about the CD, you won't get one booting (very far) if it isn't the correct Sam460 platform version. If you used to have one of those, but can't find it, maybe the best way forward is to buy the reasonably priced Final Edition for Sam460. Once that is registered, you'd even be able to download it again as an ISO for burning, should you ever lose the CD in the future. (Unfortunately this is not the case with the earlier OS versions.)
That is what I want to do. I found the case today. Pasted inside on the back, "Serial number AmigaOS 4.1 Sam460" over a string of characters (29, not counting two hyphens). So far no sign of the disk that used to be therein, assuming it would say "ACube" on it instead of "Hyperion." I just contacted ACube, but didn't see the Final Edition advertised there. I will take another look, because that seems the best recourse.

[Edit]Okay, second look worked, I hope: this is the second time I have ordered from ACube through Paypal and been informed that the transactioin failed. But I got the previous, probably useless (or maybe not, now?), order. I guess $75 is pretty reasonable compared with replacing the X1000.
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

kilaueabart wrote:That is what I want to do. I found the case today. Pasted inside on the back, "Serial number AmigaOS 4.1 Sam460" over a string of characters (29, not counting two hyphens). So far no sign of the disk that used to be therein, assuming it would say "ACube" on it instead of "Hyperion."
No, the OS is produced and distributed by Hyperion Entertainment for all platforms. There are a number of retailers; I don't remember whether ACube is one of them, but otherwise you have AmigaKit and the new American shop Amiga on the Lake, among others.

Best regards,

Niels
kilaueabart

Post by kilaueabart »

nbache wrote:...
In my Sam460, I have an SiI3114 4-channel SATA card with a CD/DVD drive and a HD on the first two channels. Therefore, my boot variables are:

boot1=s4siicdrom
boot2=s4sii
boot3=usb (this one would let me boot off the built-in SD card reader, if none of the other two are available; the SD card reader is connected to the USB bus on the Sam460).

The first two are the important ones. You want the CD/DVD to have first priority, whenever a disc is in that drive, and otherwise the HD (which you would normally boot from when installed).
I'm kind of hoping that your third variable setting suggests I may be able to install AOS4.1FE on an SD card. Or at worst, always boot from the DVD and use an SD card for storage. I don't know that I have a hard drive on hand that I could use for that.

That's if I ever get the DVD boot disk. Every time I try to order it, I am given only PayPal as an option to pay for it, and I get a message that "The acube-systemsbiz.serversicuro.it page isn’t working." I'm pretty sure I got the same message when I successfully ordered that updater ".lha," but this time it seems to mean it. And I am left with the one item in my "cart."
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

kilaueabart wrote:I'm kind of hoping that your third variable setting suggests I may be able to install AOS4.1FE on an SD card.
That's what I did at one point some years ago, so I know it can work. It is slow, though, just so you have been warned. But better slow than non-working.
That's if I ever get the DVD boot disk. Every time I try to order it, I am given only PayPal as an option to pay for it, and I get a message that "The acube-systemsbiz.serversicuro.it page isn’t working." I'm pretty sure I got the same message when I successfully ordered that updater ".lha," but this time it seems to mean it. And I am left with the one item in my "cart."
Maybe try contacting them? Or alternatively try another dealer, e.g. AmigaKit.com?

Best regards,

Niels
kilaueabart

Post by kilaueabart »

nbache wrote:...
kilaueabart wrote:...
That's if I ever get the DVD boot disk. Every time I try to order it, ... I get a message that "The acube-systemsbiz.serversicuro.it page isn’t working. ..."
Maybe try contacting them? Or alternatively try another dealer, e.g. AmigaKit.com?
Acube has promised a response, but maybe I won't wait. I wonder if I ever knew Amigakit wasn't Amikit. I looked at Amikit, because I am in constant touch with them about whether I can get my X1000 fixed or not, but didn't see anything there that would work with a SAM. I'm about to see whether AmigaKit can fix me up. Thanks for yet another heads up.

Done, and it turns out to cost less than half as much at AmigaKit.com!
kilaueabart

Post by kilaueabart »

My SAM460ex boot disk came today. Putting it in the CD tray has so far changed nothing.

I wonder if some UBoot values aren't wrong? These are some I don't understand:

loads_echo=1
pcie_mode=RP:RP
pciconfighost=1
bootcmd=menu; run menuboot_cmd
menucmd=menu
boot_method=boota
usb_enable_4x0=1
scan_usb_storage=0
ethact=ppc_4xx_eth0
ethaddr=00:50:c2:80:D4:B9
s4sii_maxbus=1
ver=U-Boot 2015.a (May 16 2015 - 14:20:11)loads_echo=1
pciconfighost=1
menucmd=menu
boot_method=boota
usb_enable_4x0=1
scan_usb_storage=0
s4sii_maxbus=1
ver=U-Boot 2015.a (May 16 2015 - 14:20:11)
video_activate=pci
hush=0
x86emu=1
ddr2_boost=0
boot1=s4siicdrom
os4_commandline=debuglevel=0
bootargs=root=/dev/ramdisk file=/cdrom/
menuboot_cmd=boota

The one I am most suspicious of is the next to last, bootargs=. But I have no idea what scan_usb_storage=0 means.
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

kilaueabart wrote:My SAM460ex boot disk came today. Putting it in the CD tray has so far changed nothing.
What exactly happens when you start the machine with the CD in the drive?

[...]

The one I am most suspicious of is the next to last, bootargs=.
It is only used for booting Linux, sp don't worry about that.
But I have no idea what scan_usb_storage=0 means.
It has to do with the initial scanning/detection of USB media (including the SD card), AFAIK. So it shouldn't be too relevant when trying to boot from CD or HDD.

If you look at the screen at the very start of booting, it first says it is scanning for USB devices. Then, on mine, it says it is scanning for USB storage devices. I have scan_usb_storage set to 1. I bet if you were to set yours to 1 as well, it would do that scan also.

Here are my UBoot variables for comparison.

Code: Select all

baudrate=115200
loads_echo=1
hostname=Sam460ex
stdin=usbkbd
ide_doreset=on
ide_reset_timeout=15
ide_cd_timeout=20
pciconfighost=1
menucmd=menu
boot_method=boota
usb_enable_4x0=1
usb_retry=1
usb_ohci_power_down_before_reset=1
scan_usb_storage=1
ethact=ppc_4xx_eth0
ethaddr=00:50:C2:80:D4:8F
ipaddr=192.168.1.18
serverip=192.168.1.6
video_activate=pci
hush=0
serdes=pci-e
stdout=vga
menuboot_cmd=boota
ver=U-Boot 2010.06.05 (Apr 14 2011 - 10:54:55)
boot1=s4siicdrom
boot2=s4sii
boot3=usb
boota_timeout=2
menuboot_delay=2
os4_commandline=serial debuglevel=0 munge
bootargs=root=/dev/sda3 console=tty0
boot_config=AmigaOS 4.1 Final Beta
s4sii_maxbus=2
s4sii_conf=2110
s4sii_timeout=30
Best regards,

Niels
kilaueabart

Post by kilaueabart »

I'll print them out for my next try. Clearly,

bootargs=root=/dev/sda3 console=tty0

won't mean anything, since there is no hard drive in my machine. I don't notice yet anything in your variables that is likely to save me from the "no boot device found anywhere" (not word for word, but I always get something to that effect). It seems to me my install dvd should be a boot device, but so far it doesn't get recognized as such, in spite of the boot1=s4siicdrom.
javierdlr
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by javierdlr »

kilaueabart wrote:My SAM460ex boot disk came today. Putting it in the CD tray has so far changed nothing.

loads_echo=1
pciconfighost=1
menucmd=menu
boot_method=boota
usb_enable_4x0=1
scan_usb_storage=0
ethact=ppc_4xx_eth0
ethaddr=00:50:c2:80:D4:B9
s4sii_maxbus=1
ver=U-Boot 2015.a (May 16 2015 - 14:20:11)...
So you system doesn't boot from HD yet?
Do you have 'boot2=s4sii' as Uboot envar?

Is your boot volume/partition automounted/bootable (use MediaToolbBox to see such options)

When you start yout machine, it scans for devices connected, it should see/get something like in attachment, ther you can see I have a DVD (unit0) and a HDD/SDD (unit2) connected to my SII3114 card.

Hi, mines are:

#c:NVGetVar 
baudrate=115200
loads_echo=1
hostname=Sam460ex
stdout=vga
stdin=usbkbd
ide_doreset=on
ide_cd_timeout=20
pciconfighost=1
menucmd=menu
boot_method=boota
usb_enable_4x0=1
usb_retry=1
scan_usb_storage=1
ethact=ppc_4xx_eth0
ethaddr=00:50:c2:80:d5:90
ide_reset_timeout=2
s4sii_maxbus=1
filesize=2A3B
fileaddr=2000000
dtb=sam460-2.dtb
pt=usb 0:3
uimg=uImage-460-4.7.0
ub1=ext2load ${pt} 1000000 ${uimg};ext2load ${pt} 2000000 ${dtb}
ipaddr=192.168.1.201
serverip=192.168.1.200
boot1=s4siicdrom
boot2=s4sii
boota_timeout=3
menuboot_cmd=boota
ub2=ext2load ${pt} 3000000 uRamdisk;bootm 1000000 3000000 2000000
lan=tftp 1000000 ${uimg};tftp 2000000 ${dtb};bootm 1000000 - 2000000
bootmenu_waitticks=150
serdes=pci-e
ddr2_boost=0
menuboot_delay=2
os4_commandline=debuglevel=4 MUNGE SERIAL
bootargs=root=/dev/ramdisk file=/cdrom/preseed/ubuntu-mate.seed boot=casper rootdelay=10
ver=U-Boot 2015.a (May 16 2015 - 14:20:11)
video_activate=pci
hush=0
x86emu=1
When you boot from CD type from Shell/CLI:
c:nvgetvar
and post here all variables.

and c:IDETool

#c:IDETool -l sii3114ide.device
-------------------Unit 0 information------------------------
    Flags : $0000011D - present, supports DMA, removable media, ATAPI, interrupts used, 
    Xfer mode : best pio 12 (PIO 4, 16 MB/s) / best dma 69 (UDMA 5, 100 MB/s) / current 69 (UDMA 5, 100 MB/s)
    Total blocks : 0
    Blocksize : 0
    SCSI devtyp : 5
    Packet size : 12
    Current medium read speed  : x 65535 ('65535' stands for max.)
    Current medium write speed : x 65535 (idem)
    Power mode  : 2 / idle (ready for operation)
    IO1 / IO2 / BMCR @ : $1000 / $100A / $1020
    spurious interrupts: 0
    bounced misaligned cache line start DMA requests: 0
    bounced misaligned cache line end DMA requests: 0
    bounced non-contiguous buffer DMA requests: 0
*** Error opening device sii3114ide.device / unit 1
-------------------Unit 2 information------------------------
    Flags : $000001C5 - present, supports DMA, ATA, supports power mgmt, supports cache flush, interrupts used, 
    Xfer mode : best pio 12 (PIO 4, 16 MB/s) / best dma 70 (UDMA 6, 133 MB/s) / current 70 (UDMA 6, 133 MB/s)
    Total blocks : 234441648
    Blocksize : 512
    Power mode  : 2 / idle (ready for operation)
    IO1 / IO2 / BMCR @ : $1010 / $101A / $1028
    spurious interrupts: 0
    bounced misaligned cache line start DMA requests: 908
    bounced misaligned cache line end DMA requests: 0
    bounced non-contiguous buffer DMA requests: 29
*** Error opening device sii3114ide.device / unit 3
*** Error opening device sii3114ide.device / unit 4
*** Error opening device sii3114ide.device / unit 5
Attachments
grab.jpg