recommissioning SAM460

This forum is for all AmigaOne 500, Sam440 and Sam460 specific issues.
javierdlr
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Re: recommissioning SAM460

Post by javierdlr »

kilaueabart wrote:
javierdlr wrote: SAM460 machine do need SLB to find/boot AmigaOS4. You just need to open MediaToolbox and in 'AmigaONe boot code (SLB)' you should see/have in L:slb_v2
Just open/start MTB, choose your HDD and choose 'Edit RDB/Reinstall...' option and post here waht you have/see in 'AmigaONe boot code (SLB)' (read only) stringgadget.
You must have forgotten that it is very difficult to open Media Toolbox if you can't boot Workbench. ???
Nop, but didn't you succesfully boot an AmigaOS4 CD finally? If you boot AOS4 CD, there you have MediaToolbox and can use it to add/install SLB.
javierdlr
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by javierdlr »

kilaueabart wrote:I set env variables as I intended, left the CD tray empty but plugged in the flash drive that had been reported as successfully installed with AOS, and rebooted:

Code: Select all

AOS4 FLB
found AOS4 SLB
One of the oddities: When I booted from the flash drive yesterday, I got a screen that was narrower than my monitor by about two inches left and right. Today it came up equally narrow, but the workbench color only reached a bit more than halfway down the screen, which I normally set to 1280x1024, black underneath except for a couple of the partition icons and the dock at the bottom. Until I moved the partition icons up into the colored area, there was no identifying text under them. It occurred to me that was somehow a result of Prefs limiting screen size to 1024x768. It couldn't do more than 768 pixels vertically? But DOpus5 and Odyssey and Final Calc both fill it top to bottom, and it did display icons and the Dock outside of the blue, so it remains a puzzle.
...[/quote]

IIRC the limit 1024x768 is if you're using a RadeonHD vga card and the RadeonHD (lite) driver version that comes in AmigaOS4 CD, you need the full version (v1 or v2) to get more than 1024x768.

Check ScreenMode Prefs if you have 'Detect settings automatically' and maybe if you're using a TFT/LCD screen 'Show only 60Hz modes'.
kilaueabart

Post by kilaueabart »

javierdlr wrote:
kilaueabart wrote:... it is very difficult to open Media Toolbox if you can't boot Workbench. ???
Nop, but didn't you succesfully boot an AmigaOS4 CD finally? If you boot AOS4 CD, there you have MediaToolbox and can use it to add/install SLB.
Except that AOS4 CD is read-only. I had to wait until I could boot on a write-able device to install SLB. But apparently by then I didn't need to. UBoot seems to have found an SLB on its own.

Another problem I have faced more than once when making a disk bootable, or something like that, in MTB. I am ordered to install a driver and given a choice of a whole bunch of things, none of which sound appropriate, and have been given no hint as to what an appropriate driver might look like. Maybe I made the right guess.
IIRC the limit 1024x768 is if you're using a RadeonHD vga card and the RadeonHD (lite) driver version that comes in AmigaOS4 CD, you need the full version (v1 or v2) to get more than 1024x768.
Yes, I remember being warned about that, but my fading short-term memory didn't store the instructions on how to get the v2 version back. Thanks, I'll get it figured out sooner or (more likely?) later.

Bart
javierdlr
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by javierdlr »

kilaueabart wrote:
javierdlr wrote:
kilaueabart wrote:... it is very difficult to open Media Toolbox if you can't boot Workbench. ???
Except that AOS4 CD is read-only. I had to wait until I could boot on a write-able device to install SLB. But apparently by then I didn't need to. UBoot seems to have found an SLB on its own.
...t
But when you load/start AOS4 CD when using MediaToolbox the HDD isn't shown on the device list?
If you see on MTB device list for example:
DVD-RAM blah blah
Seagate ST1234 blah blah

Just choose the HDD (Seagate ST12....) and then install SLB into such drive/device/unit.

For the RadeonHD (.chip driver), you just need to copy the full version (RadeonHD.chip) into SYS:Kickstart/
kilaueabart

Post by kilaueabart »

javierdlr wrote: But when you load/start AOS4 CD when using MediaToolbox the HDD isn't shown on the device list?
If you see on MTB device list for example:
DVD-RAM blah blah
Seagate ST1234 blah blah

Just choose the HDD (Seagate ST12....) and then install SLB into such drive/device/unit./
OK, I was being a bit dense in my last response. My brain is rapidly turning into mush and I may not be able to even use a computer much longer.

But Media Toolbox seems to verify that I had already installed SLB into ST1000DM Z1D5: Under AmigaOne boot code (SLB) it says "I:slb_v2, 29036 bytes, ver. 1.19." But UBoot skipped boot2=s4sii in favor or boot3=usb again today. What could be going wrong? Otherwise, I am able to use the hard drive for non-System stuff.

Thanks again,
Bart
javierdlr
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by javierdlr »

kilaueabart wrote:...
OK, I was being a bit dense in my last response. My brain is rapidly turning into mush and I may not be able to even use a computer much longer.

But Media Toolbox seems to verify that I had already installed SLB into ST1000DM Z1D5: Under AmigaOne boot code (SLB) it says "I:slb_v2, 29036 bytes, ver. 1.19." But UBoot skipped boot2=s4sii in favor or boot3=usb again today. What could be going wrong? Otherwise, I am able to use the hard drive for non-System stuff.

Thanks again,
Bart
Ok then.
Did you try to connect the SATA cable to other port in the SII3114 card and see if it boots then?
In MediToolbox when you go your HDD partitions 'Edit partitions and filesystem' is your Workbench/AOS4_bootable partition marked as 'Automount' (I suspect yes , as you could see it on Workbench') and 'Bootable'? What 'Boot priority' does it has?
Any other bootable partition on such drive/unit?

You can try when system boots to hold both mouse buttons and you should see 'Early Startup Menu', there you can check/see bootable devices on your system.
kilaueabart

Post by kilaueabart »

javierdlr wrote: Did you try to connect the SATA cable to other port in the SII3114 card and see if it boots then?
No, I haven't tried that. I assumed that since I can use the drive for everything but booting, it must be connecting OK. I might try hooking it up where I have the CD drive connected currently and see if that makes any difference.
In MediToolbox when you go your HDD partitions 'Edit partitions and filesystem' is your Workbench/AOS4_bootable partition marked as 'Automount' (I suspect yes , as you could see it on Workbench') and 'Bootable'? What 'Boot priority' does it has?
Any other bootable partition on such drive/unit?
My flash drive and the HDD are both "Automount," "Bootable," and "Boot priority = 0."

Early this morning I started to wonder if maybe I had set the HDD DH0: blocksize too large. I sort of remembered that SFS\00 should have a block size of 512. But I checked, and sure enough it is 512. But then I checked the System partition on the flash drive: SFS\00, 1024 blocksize! Why does it work at all?
You can try when system boots to hold both mouse buttons and you should see 'Early Startup Menu', there you can check/see bootable devices on your system.
It has been so long since I have done that, I was unable to remember exactly how I used to do it. Thanks for reminding me. It seems to me I used to get the same result holding the Help button on the keyboard.

Bart
javierdlr
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by javierdlr »

kilaueabart wrote: ...
No, I haven't tried that. I assumed that since I can use the drive for everything but booting, it must be connecting OK. I might try hooking it up where I have the CD drive connected currently and see if that makes any difference.
It has been so long since I have done that, I was unable to remember exactly how I used to do it. Thanks for reminding me. It seems to me I used to get the same result holding the Help button on the keyboard.

Bart
Ok about automunt/bootable/boot_pri.

About SFS blocksize: -Blocksizes of 512 bytes up to 32768 bytes are supported. (512 BYTES FOR BEST PERFORMANCE IN 99%)

Yep, you can reach ESM by keeping HELP pressed. So lets see what bootable drives/units do you get on Early Startup Menu list.
kilaueabart

Post by kilaueabart »

Well, the situation has changed. Something I did resulted in the screen going black when Workbench should have appeared. I had to use the CD to boot a visible workbench. While there I did try the ESM. The only boot choices were DH0: on the HDD and the CD. The flash drive was not recognized. I thought I probably needed to reinstall the system on the flash drive. But even after deleting the 40Gb system file from the flash drive (MTB did find it OK) and formatting a new one just over 10Gb with 512 blocksize, the install program didn't offer that partition as a possible destination. I had been messing with it for hours, and I gave up for the night.

This morning I tried your idea of connecting the hard drive in another port, and switched the hard drive and the CD drive sockets. And the hard drive booted, and I am using it now. Hooray! Later I will see if I can boot the CD any more.

I have a lot of work to do that I had already done on the flash drive System, trying to get a proper screen size and so forth, but things are looking good.

Bart
javierdlr
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by javierdlr »

kilaueabart wrote:...
This morning I tried your idea of connecting the hard drive in another port, and switched the hard drive and the CD drive sockets. And the hard drive booted, and I am using it now. Hooray! Later I will see if I can boot the CD any more.
Wohooo!!! At last now you can boot from HDD :-) Now reinstall AOS4.1FE and then install update 1 and have fun!!!!!