recommissioning SAM460

This forum is for all AmigaOne 500, Sam440 and Sam460 specific issues.
kilaueabart

Re: recommissioning SAM460

Post by kilaueabart »

nbache wrote:
kilaueabart wrote:My SAM460ex boot disk came today. Putting it in the CD tray has so far changed nothing.
What exactly happens when you start the machine with the CD in the drive?
I had to take photos, but I'll just copy here:

Code: Select all

[some kinda picture]Sam460ex
                                power for free minds
Config: PCIe 4x + PCIe 1x
USB:    scanning bus for devices... 7 USB Device(s) found  
            scanning bus for storage devices...  3 Storage Device(e)s found
SATA Device 0: not available

Press SPACE for prefs, ENTER for boot select, ESC for prompt
Booting... 4 
(Normally I get "6 USB ..." and "2 Storage ..." I had jammed in a flash drive to see what would happen.)
Screen changes.

AOS4 FLB
FLB: no SLB found in any of the designated boot sources: return[photo cut off here. I'm not 100% sure of the "return"; I take fuzzy photos.]
Press any key to continue
If you look at the screen at the very start of booting, it first says it is scanning for USB devices. Then, on mine, it says it is scanning for USB storage devices. I have scan_usb_storage set to 1. I bet if you were to set yours to 1 as well, it would do that scan also.
I did reset mine to 1, and I'm sure I saveenv'ed. I'll recheck that the next time I reconnect all the cords to the SAM, but apparently it had no effect.
Here are my UBoot variables for comparison.
Mine now match, except for the IP address things, and I haven't bothered putting boot2 and boot3 in. Oh, and I haven't redone os4_commandline.
I hope you, or someone, will find a clue in this data. I haven't heard anything from AmigaKit about fixing my X1000.
kilaueabart

Post by kilaueabart »

javierdlr wrote: So you system doesn't boot from HD yet?
Do you have 'boot2=s4sii' as Uboot envar?
Right. I have no HD to boot from, so don't need "boot2=s4sii."
Is your boot volume/partition automounted/bootable (use MediaToolbBox to see such options)
Can MediaToolBox be run from UBoot? I think it depends on having OS4 installed.
When you start yout machine, it scans for devices connected, it should see/get something like in attachment, ther you can see I have a DVD (unit0) and a HDD/SDD (unit2) connected to my SII3114 card.
I don't get that info. All I get I have listed a moment ago in another post here.
Hi, mines are:

s4sii_maxbus=1
filesize=2A3B
fileaddr=2000000
dtb=sam460-2.dtb
pt=usb 0:3
uimg=uImage-460-4.7.0
ub1=ext2load ${pt} 1000000 ${uimg};ext2load ${pt} 2000000 ${dtb}
boot2=s4sii
boota_timeout=3
ub2=ext2load ${pt} 3000000 uRamdisk;bootm 1000000 3000000 2000000
lan=tftp 1000000 ${uimg};tftp 2000000 ${dtb};bootm 1000000 - 2000000
ddr2_boost=0
menuboot_delay=2
os4_commandline=debuglevel=4 MUNGE SERIAL
bootargs=root=/dev/ramdisk file=/cdrom/preseed/ubuntu-mate.seed boot=casper rootdelay=10
x86emu=1
I have the same as the ones I deleted, except none of the ones I have left listed above. I can't be 100% sure I don't have them without switching back to the SAM and "print"ing them one by one. I do miss quite a few that printenv scrolls off the top of the screen as soon as it gets full. Next time I go to the SAM I'll check those out too.
When you boot from CD type from Shell/CLI:
c:nvgetvar
and post here all variables.

and c:IDETool

#c:IDETool -l sii3114ide.device
--------[/quote]
I wish I could boot from CD. That would mean my troubles are mostly over.

I  appreciate your interest in my problem. Thank you for trying to help.
Raziel

Post by Raziel »

@kilaueabart

This may be a long shot, but do you still have this setting in your uboot prefs?

s4sii_maxbus=1
I know from my XE that i had this setting lowered to speed up the boot process (probably the guys on here aswell), but only after i set up all my drives and knew on which LUN they were connected.

This setting in place however means that UBoot won't scan the whole s4sii bus for connected devices, rather it will stop scanning at device 1.
It looks though as if your CDRom might be connected on a higher LUN, which in turn means UBoot will never find it.

Your screenshot with
SATA Device 0: not available
and nothing afterwards indicates that UBoot doesn't even find your CDRom hardware on the sii card.

Either set the s4sii_maxbus to 3

s4sii_maxbus=3
(I'm presuming that s4sii means the card has four possible LUN connectors) or completely remove the envvar for the time being, so that UBoot can scan the whole bus of the device.

Good luck
Last edited by Raziel on Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

If you look at the screen at the very start of booting, it first says it is scanning for USB devices. Then, on mine, it says it is scanning for USB storage devices. I have scan_usb_storage set to 1. I bet if you were to set yours to 1 as well, it would do that scan also.
I did reset mine to 1, and I'm sure I saveenv'ed. I'll recheck that the next time I reconnect all the cords to the SAM, but apparently it had no effect.
I think it did, as you got this line in your output quoted earlier: "scanning bus for storage devices...  3 Storage Device(e)s found".

Apart from that, I agree with Raziel; you might have your DVD drive on a higher port, so try changing the s4sii_maxbus, or removing it (by setting it to nothing: "setenv s4sii_maxbus=" <enter> "saveenv" <enter>).

Best regards,

Niels

P.S. Oh, BTW, I don't remember whether we have had you check this before: Please do make sure your SATA cables are securely attached to their sockets in both ends (the 3114 card as well as the devices), inserted fully and straight.

Best regards,

Niels
kilaueabart

Post by kilaueabart »

Setting s4sii_maxbus to 3 and eliminating it both brought the same interesting (ie, different) results, but meaningless to me:

SATA Device 0: not available SATA Device 1: OK SATA Device 2: ............ * Timeout *

not available
not available
Thereafter, back to the "FLB: no SLB found ..." screen.

There are two SATA cords attached to the STAT card, but only one is attached to anything else. Why is it checking on three?

I removed and reattached the cable from the DVD reader, but I couldn't figure out how to detach it from the SATA card. Pry it off with a screwdriver?

My first question above gave me a weird(?) idea: Try to save this response for now as a draft, and see what happens if I switch the SATA cords so the one that goes nowhere now goes to the DVD instead?

Well, it made a difference but not the one I was secretly hoping for. Now it is:

SATA Device 0: not available SATA Device 1: not available SATA Device 2: ............ * Timeout *
Meaningful to anyone?

I'm getting fairly quick at switching cords (all but power) from the SAM to the rpi3 and back.
Raziel

Post by Raziel »

One step closer, i think

At least "an" attached device is found by your hardware, albeit on
SATA Device 1: OK
Now, i don't know how exactly SAM's UBoot works regarding SATA, but reading again through the thread you might want to try a few things:

1) Set the boot1=s4iicdrom to boot2=s4iicdrom
2) Look if your CDRom still has jumpers on the hardware itself and set them to be master instead of slave
3) Try to replug the CDRom into the first SATA connector, so that UBoot recognizes it as being on Device 0 (with that change, refrain from doing step 1) respectively set it back to what you had, boot1...)

btw, can you reach the "menu" when you get control back over input?
I wonder if it wouldn't be easier to set all this stuff from the UBoot GUI?
People are dying.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

kilaueabart wrote:There are two SATA cords attached to the STAT card, but only one is attached to anything else. Why is it checking on three?
Because we changed the s4sii_maxbus to 3. UBoot doesn't know whether there is anything connected to a port, until after the scan (this is the very reason for scanning in the first place ;-)), so when we tell it to scan the three first ports, it does so. (Or is it actually 4? I don't rmember whether it counts from 0 or 1.)
I removed and reattached the cable from the DVD reader, but I couldn't figure out how to detach it from the SATA card. Pry it off with a screwdriver?
It shouldn't be difficult to pull out a SATA plug, if you do it straight (i.e. perpedicularly away from the edge of the card). Is the cable plug fitted with a metal lock - like a little shiny "cover" on one side? If so, you need to squeeze that inwards on the plug while pulling. Otherwise, if it doesn't come off easily, something is not right. Maybe you have it fitted wrong in the first place - which could explain a lot.

Best regards,

Niels
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

Raziel wrote:2) Look if your CDRom still has jumpers on the hardware itself and set them to be master instead of slave
SATA doesn't have the slave/master concept, so this one shouldn't be relevant. It's only for PATA/IDE.
3) Try to replug the CDRom into the first SATA connector, so that UBoot recognizes it as being on Device 0
I agree.

@kilaueabart: There should be markings on the SiI3114 card of which port is port 0 (or 1? Again, I'm not sure where it starts counting, but find the lowest one of the four). You may have to pull out the card to see the printing, if so, make and save a sketch with the port numbers on, so you don't have to do it again - unless of course you have a manual or data sheet for the card which shows it.

Best regards,

Niels
Raziel

Post by Raziel »

@nbache

It's starts the device counting from 0 ;-)
People are dying.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

Raziel wrote:@nbache

It's starts the device counting from 0 ;-)
Okay, thanks.

This doesn't necessarily mean, however, that the physical ports on the card are also numbered from 0 - just to add to the confusion ;-). It probably depends on the specific brand of the card.

I'm almost sure I have one (at least) with numbering from 1 to 4 on the card.

Best regards,

Niels