8 bit screenmodes not always working

This forum is for all AmigaOne 500, Sam440 and Sam460 specific issues.
Hans-Joerg Frieden
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Re: 8 bit screenmodes not always working

Post by Hans-Joerg Frieden »

mpiva wrote::( It's been over a week, with over 60 views, and not a SINGLE reply. No one's able to help me with this problem? I was really hoping I'd get a little more support from a Support Forum. :cry:
Please do not bump threads. If someone has to add something, they will do it eventually.
NOTICE: If you want to contact me, use E-Mail. I cannot be contacted via the forum/private messages anymore
Thomas Frieden
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by Thomas Frieden »

mpiva wrote:I was really hoping I'd get a little more support from a Support Forum.
In addition: What do you expect us to say if the problem is not present for anyone else ? Obviously, nobody else has the problem, and there's quite a number of Sam440 users out there. For all we know, it might be a hardware problem.
Spectre660

Post by Spectre660 »

He says Its a Sam460ex so there are not that many out there yet .

The easiest thing to attempt to eliminate as the cause of the problem is the graphics card itself.
He needs some help though as he does not have loads of spares parts or second computers around to swap and test.
And may not be comfortable doings so.

Best thing is to report it as a possible defective Video card to his dealer and see what they can do for him.
Sam460ex : Radeon Rx550 Single slot Video Card : SIL3112 SATA card
ChrisH
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by ChrisH »

@Thomas Frieden
But home many out there are using a Radeon HD 4650 card (probably on a PCI-e bus?) with 8-bit screenmodes? Non-Sam460 users probably use a Radeon 9250, and there may not be many Sam460 users yet, even less using 8-bit screenmodes...

This made it seem possible that it was a Radeon driver bug. But tonyw says he's tested "my own RV73 4650 card" without any problems, so it *might* be a faulty gfx card.
kas1e
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by kas1e »

@mpiva

No one mention it , but imho you better just try to contact with Hanz (author of radeonHD drivers), and explain him everything. He are adequate and frendly person, so he will help for sure (check your PM , i put his mail in PM just in case)
Hans-Joerg Frieden
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by Hans-Joerg Frieden »

Spectre660 wrote:He says Its a Sam460ex so there are not that many out there yet .

Best thing is to report it as a possible defective Video card to his dealer and see what they can do for him.
It doesn't change the fact that if nobody answers, nobody has an answer. It still means no bumping of threads.
NOTICE: If you want to contact me, use E-Mail. I cannot be contacted via the forum/private messages anymore
Spectre660

Post by Spectre660 »

Ok. I was not trying to supporting him bumping the thread. But to point him in the direction of asking his dealer for support as they would be able to see if they had the same problems with similar configurations .
Sam460ex : Radeon Rx550 Single slot Video Card : SIL3112 SATA card
Hans
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by Hans »

@mpiva

I recognise that corruption pattern. There was an issue with older drivers (such as the beta release on the Sam460ex CD) in which graphics corruption such as your screenshots show would intermittently occur once every few startups. It was generally only visible on 8-bit screens, and possibly with composited screens as well. It seemed to affect some cards more than others, and would disappear after a reset.

This has since been fixed. It was caused by some totally bizarre behaviour from the card, and it took me weeks to stumble upon what triggered it.

Hans
http://hdrlab.org.nz/ - Amiga OS 4 projects, programming articles and more. Home of the RadeonHD driver for Amiga OS 4.x project.
Hans
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by Hans »

@all

Just a suggestion for people posting graphics problems: If you think that the problem may be specific to a particular graphics card, put the graphics card in the thread subject. I'm more likely to notice a thread that has "Radeon HD" in it. If I still miss the thread here and you think that it's a Radeon HD driver issue, you can contact me via my website (forums or email) and point me back to here. The link is in my signature.

Hans
http://hdrlab.org.nz/ - Amiga OS 4 projects, programming articles and more. Home of the RadeonHD driver for Amiga OS 4.x project.
mpiva

Post by mpiva »

@Hans

Thank you very much for the reply and for fixing this bug. It's good to know I don't need to replace my graphics card. I'm looking forward to when the new drivers come out. :D

As for bumping the thread, I apologize. I didn't realize there was such a strict policy against it. I won't do it again.