SAM 460EX frequently freeze

This forum is for all AmigaOne 500, Sam440 and Sam460 specific issues.
Mozzerfan

Re: SAM 460EX frequently freeze

Post by Mozzerfan »

Gregor wrote:
Mozzerfan wrote: I too have a Red one X system. I ordered the system with a 2 GB Kingston RAM module.
When I received my sytem I had all kinds of strange freezes, block errors with my harddisk and strange program errors.
I suspected the RAM module to be the culprit, so I bought a used 1 GB module on ebay (a Hynix module).
Since then my system is rock solid (for almost 1 year now). Later I tried another 2 GB module from hynix and when I try to use over 1 GB of RAM I get strange crashes with that one too.
Did you report to Relec about that problem? What did they say, didn't they offer another RAM module for replacement?

Gregor
I already had communicated with relec and thought I had found a solution, but later it turned out it was not the problem.
I needed a fast solution. Relec is located in Switzerland. I'm in the Netherlands. for me sending the RAM module back and waiting for a replacement was not an option. So I took a gamble and bought one on ebay. After my problems were solved I tested the kingston module in a laptop, and it worked ok. On os4welt.de there are some more people who had RAM-problems with the sam460.

edit: I really must say it was the only problem I had with my system. It's really stable for almost a year now, and I'm really happy with my system.
toolkitman

Post by toolkitman »

Mozzerfan a curiosity, your the red one x had any fan inside the case or is completly fanless? I have the new case and it was fanless so i had this problem of overheating.
Mozzerfan

Post by Mozzerfan »

toolkitman wrote:Mozzerfan a curiosity, your the red one x had any fan inside the case or is completly fanless? I have the new case and it was fanless so i had this problem of overheating.
Like I already said before, my red one x had a case fan (it's in the front top of the case), but it was not connected, and I never have had to connect it.
I have a completely silent system, and it's rock solid.
toolkitman

Post by toolkitman »

I have installed a fan that make only 13db of noise so it's still silent but more fresh and stabilized.
imagodespira
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by imagodespira »

I have also a super silent fan, it looks like a "Golf Ball" ;)
Did the fan also solved the freezes while playing RunInUAE Games?
toolkitman

Post by toolkitman »

Yes also Whdload now are ok, only lotus 2 in the intro have little slowiness in one second during the intro when it changes from the presentation of the car to the race running.
klapdeur

Post by klapdeur »

My Sam 460ex system was delivered fitted with an ADATA SODIMM DDR2 667MHz 2GB (from my locale supplier). It made AmigaOS very unstable!
For a long time I didn't understand what caused all the crashes and freezes (especially MuiOWB was always crashing)...

I contacted ACube who responded. I (Enrico Vidale) suggest that you use RAM modules which are CL 6 (Cas Latency) and not CL 5 ones.
So I replaced my memory with a Kingston SODIMM DDR2 800MHz 2GB instead and now AmigaOS works perfect!
i have the same problems . when i run memtest programs, it crashes, example
ppc-memtester os4 from aminet shutdown my system.

memtester from os4depot freezes my system.

today im gonna test 2 sodimms pc6400 ddr2 800 mhz one 1gb and 1 2gb,

hope this will make the difference
klapdeur

Post by klapdeur »

oke here the result of the 2 memory sims

well the 1gb sims the memtest starts locating the ram, and begins testing

the 2gb the same lockup happens as the orig 2gb simm.
so it looks like amigaos doesnt like the 2gb ram, sam460ex (amigaOne500) reqonizes the 2gb without any problems, so i think it related to amigaos4.

memtest in linux ubuntu works also with 2 gb module.

ive now got 1gb module inside my amigaone500 and memtest runs like it should.
Mozzerfan

Post by Mozzerfan »

Thanks for testing klapdeur.

I also have problems with 2 GB mem modules (see previous posts). My 1 GB Hynix module works like a charm.
klapdeur

Post by klapdeur »

mine 1gb module is from samsung, same as 2gb module ive tested was also samsung