System is freezing

This forum is for all AmigaOne 500, Sam440 and Sam460 specific issues.
Joeled

Re: System is freezing

Post by Joeled »

My computer have now been online for 15 hours withoyt freezing. Could it be that Quake2 is freezing my system after 4-6 hours? I havent started it now and everything is fine so far.
acmn

Post by acmn »

What about this: I removed ScreenBlanker from WBStartup and there is no freezing problem anymore.
11 hours gone...
Spectre660

Post by Spectre660 »

I have always had issues with the screenblanker as well as any program Docky that runs in Amidock.
acmn wrote:What about this: I removed ScreenBlanker from WBStartup and there is no freezing problem anymore.
11 hours gone...
Sam460ex : Radeon Rx550 Single slot Video Card : SIL3112 SATA card
Joeled

Post by Joeled »

acmn wrote:What about this: I removed ScreenBlanker from WBStartup and there is no freezing problem anymore.
11 hours gone...
I tried that for several months ago without any luck. I m not familiar what kind of problems you have but you can pm me and i can try to help you. I tried alot of stuff but i think i managed to get it to work now as i want.
ChrisH
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by ChrisH »

Joeled wrote:My computer have now been online for 15 hours withoyt freezing. Could it be that Quake2 is freezing my system after 4-6 hours? I havent started it now and everything is fine so far.
Certainly it is possible. In which case you may have had BOTH system instability AND Quake2 freezing, meaning most of your earlier tests won't have told you anything useful.

I'd suggest trying something other than a game, like permanently running a full-screen video in a loop (I suggest using DvPlayer with Repeat ticked in the menu).

It would be very helpful for others if you could determine what caused your problem. e.g. Was it your old Radeon HD card?
Joeled

Post by Joeled »

I'd suggest trying something other than a game, like permanently running a full-screen video in a loop (I suggest using DvPlayer with Repeat ticked in the menu).
Yeah its freezing after a couple of hours when i played a full-screen video in a loop. Would be interesting if somebody else has the same behaviour with a amigaone 500 and radeonhd 4650 card. I m using A-EONS latest driver.
ChrisH
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by ChrisH »

@Joeled
Now that you have a simple test (a game isn't simple!), what happens if you do that test after removing everything you suspect of maybe causing the freeze? In other words:
1. Remove the Radeon HD card.
2. Leave your case open for ventillation.
3. Boot with everything in your WbStartup disabled (hold down the LeftShift key as soon as you see the Amiga boot logo).
4. Anything else I forgot?

Does it still freeze after some hours?
Christopher Follett
AmigaKit
AmigaKit

Post by Christopher Follett »

Im experiencing exact same issues on the last 3 sam 460's I have setup.
All using exact same same drive data and spec, only things that differ is the gfx card. However it also happens on the SM502 onboard gfx.

You leave it for a few hours, screenblanker kicks in, then standby, never wakes up.
You can also have tunenet playing internet radio, it does the same, however the sound is still playing.
I have also had it wake up then freeze, which usb dead.

Only seen this since update 5. Update 4 works perfect with non of the above issues happening.
Resolute and Industrious
Grand ruler of the yellow people and the Ultimate Amiga Empire
http://www.ultimateamiga.co.uk (Home of SONY PSP Amiga Emulator and AMOS Factory)

http://www.amigakit.com - the Amiga store

New Products
Joeled

Post by Joeled »

Christopher Follett wrote:Im experiencing exact same issues on the last 3 sam 460's I have setup.
All using exact same same drive data and spec, only things that differ is the gfx card. However it also happens on the SM502 onboard gfx.You leave it for a few hours, screenblanker kicks in, then standby, never wakes up. You can also have tunenet playing internet radio, it does the same, however the sound is still playing.
I have also had it wake up then freeze, which usb dead..
I dont use screenblanker but mine freezed anyway. I reinstalled aos4.1 on a new harddisk and added all updates 3,4,5 and just added avcodec.library to libs and installed latest RadeonHD driver(Radeon 6750). Then i did same test during evening/night. Completely fresh install with sfs/02 as filesystem blocksize 512 and bufferts 1000. I started Quake2 halfscreen and let it play by itself. It freezed after a couple of hours. Looped a video and it freezed after a couple of hours.

Ok, i cant do more testing by myself. It has to be a hardware problem. Motherboard, sata-card, Memory? I added two fans to blow out the heat without any result. Now i m going to send it back to ggsdata and let him take a look at it.
ChrisH
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by ChrisH »

Joeled wrote:Ok, i cant do more testing by myself. It has to be a hardware problem.
Since you didn't do what I asked (remove Radeon HD card), it could still be a software issue. Also, Chris Follett's reply seems to suggest it might be a software issue, and that it would be worth doing a clean install of (up to) Update 4, but NOT Update 5, and see if the problem still happens.

I wouldn't be in a rush to send your machine back. I mean, it seems like you can use your machine for a couple of hours without problem, so it's not like your machine isn't usable. But it would certainly be worth letting the supplier of your Amiga know that you have problems (and are trying to rule-out software issues).

I am still hoping to get a Sam460 beta-tester to try to reproduce your problem. But until recently you'd only ran tests with Quake, so we didn't know if it was Quake's fault or not.