System is freezing

This forum is for all AmigaOne 500, Sam440 and Sam460 specific issues.
Joeled

System is freezing

Post by Joeled »

Okay i give another shot. I have a freezing problem with my AmigaOne 500 and AOS4.1.5. I have been trying to figure out what can be causing these problems. I m using RadeonHD 4650 and my systemem partion is sfs/02 and i m not using swap. In my wbstartup i have amidock, asyncwb, deficons, rawbinfo, clicktofront, contextmenus, excalibur, ringhioserver, sambamounter, sam460ex_setup. I have installed samba and its filesystem. I removed the entrence under prefs/internet/servers netbios-ssn and swat is inactive. I m also using excalibur as a taskbar. I have been adding some libs and sobj to get games and programs to work. I also have a working connection to my nsa210.

Here are som problems i get:

1. System freezes after 2-6 hours. I think it can be something with mui-owb. When i start it it takes like a couple of hours then system freezes. When i dont open mui-owb(tried last night)then the system was up 12-14 hours. I started mui-owb once again and it didnt take that long before it freezed. Is it the program draining memory or is it the MUI itself?

2. When i m playing amigaamp or dvplayer and using sabremsn at the same time i get a strange freeze when i close sabremsn. After closing it music ends and i cant click on any icons. Its like wb is frozen. I can quit excalibur and move my mouse around. The clock is still ticking but thats it. I can do a warm reboot and i m back.

3. I start a game using iGame and runinuae starts but it asks for my nsa210? If i click cancel it starts the game but why does it ask for my nsa? I have no games there?

Well, i m not sure but i guess mui-owb could be the problem. If you use and let it be open for some hours on some page do you get a freeze?

I hope somebody has some good answers.

Regards
Joel
Joeled

Re: System is freezing

Post by Joeled »

Thank you for all help but i solved my problem now.
Delta

Post by Delta »

Was it really related to heat? I had similar problems but it was my Radeon card that was heating because the SATA card is too close and interfere with the air flow. Plugging the fan on my case solved that.

Its true that the Sam460 board does not overheat but can't tell the same for my Radeon. :)
-=Delta
Joeled

Post by Joeled »

Was it really related to heat? I had similar problems but it was my Radeon card that was heating because the SATA card is too close and interfere with the air flow. Plugging the fan on my case solved that.
Open up in the back up my amigaone 500 and added two fans. Now i dont have any problems(i hope)
Its true that the Sam460 board does not overheat but can't tell the same for my Radeon. :)
Yes, but is there any other radeonhd card that doesnt overheat? I m using 4650.
Delta

Post by Delta »

Joeled wrote:Its true that the Sam460 board does not overheat but can't tell the same for my Radeon. :)
Yes, but is there any other radeonhd card that doesnt overheat? I m using 4650.
In fact its not that they "over" heat, most of the time its normal temperature but when the air its not expulsed well from the case it causes problems.
-=Delta
ChrisH
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by ChrisH »

Joeled wrote:In my wbstartup i have ... excalibur, ... sambamounter, sam460ex_setup.
I see three non-standard programs, all of which are worth (temporarily) disabling:
* Excalibur - looks harmless, but I've never used it, so who knows?
* sambamounter - I couldn't find this, where is it from?
* sam460ex_setup - I WOULD DEFINITELY SUSPECT THIS. I believe it does "not so well tested" speed-ups. On Sam440 it has a history of causing problems. At the very least it might cause your machine to run hotter than normal, causing you to need extra fans.
Open up in the back up my amigaone 500 and added two fans. Now i dont have any problems(i hope)
Where did you get your AmigaOne 500 from? Once you are sure your problem is fixed, you should tell your supplier about the problem, then maybe they can fix that problem for anyone else buying AmigaOne 500s.
Christopher Follett
AmigaKit
AmigaKit

Post by Christopher Follett »

ChrisH wrote:
Joeled wrote:In my wbstartup i have ... excalibur, ... sambamounter, sam460ex_setup.
OS4Depot.

Have to be fair, since update 5 Samba and samba mounter dont work right, :(.
Resolute and Industrious
Grand ruler of the yellow people and the Ultimate Amiga Empire
http://www.ultimateamiga.co.uk (Home of SONY PSP Amiga Emulator and AMOS Factory)

http://www.amigakit.com - the Amiga store

New Products
Spectre660

Post by Spectre660 »

No problem here with Samba and SMBMounter.
I use static ip's on all my networked machines and also have a LMhosts file in my Amiga samba configuaration.
Samba doe not work on the one machine that runs Windows 7 so I use AmigaExplorer via tcp.
Combined with VNC I can control the transfers from the Amiga rather than haveing to be at the Windows 7 machine.

Christopher Follett wrote:
ChrisH wrote:
OS4Depot.

Sam460ex : Radeon Rx550 Single slot Video Card : SIL3112 SATA card
Spectre660

Post by Spectre660 »

From my own recent experience in ordering an Amigaone 500 I think that it is possible that some of the earlier boards could have some issues that could not have been detected on Amiga OS 4.1 earlier. There was no USB 2.0 or Sound driver to properly test them with at that time.The devs doing the drivers for these may need to get their hands on some of the boards that are giving problems in these areas and see what gives.
ChrisH wrote:
I see three non-standard programs, all of which are worth (temporarily) disabling:
* Excalibur - looks harmless, but I've never used it, so who knows?
* sam460ex_setup - I WOULD DEFINITELY SUSPECT THIS. I believe it does "not so well tested" speed-ups. On Sam440 it has a history of causing problems. At the very least it might cause your machine to run hotter than normal, causing you to need extra fans.
Where did you get your AmigaOne 500 from? Once you are sure your problem is fixed, you should tell your supplier about the problem, then maybe they can fix that problem for anyone else buying AmigaOne 500s.
Sam460ex : Radeon Rx550 Single slot Video Card : SIL3112 SATA card
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

Christopher Follett wrote:
ChrisH wrote:* sambamounter - I couldn't find this, where is it from?
OS4Depot.

If you mean SMBMounter (not SambaMounter), then I disagree. I am using it on all my test machines in order to access our NAS, and it is the first thing I set up after installing every Update 5 release candidate. It has worked without problems on all RCs of Update 5 for me, including the final release version.

I do use static IP addresses in my LAN, though.

Best regards,

Niels