New to OS4.1 - Troubles with Internet

This forum is for all AmigaOne 500, Sam440 and Sam460 specific issues.
WeiXing3D

New to OS4.1 - Troubles with Internet

Post by WeiXing3D »

I am new to the AmigaOS, since I just received my SAM460EX which I bought second hand, but in excellent condition from its previous owner.

Since I received my computer last Monday afternoon here in the Pacific Northwest, I have been getting error messages associated to the Internet connection.

The error messages that I'm getting are:

Mon July 23 22:08:36 2012 [error]: Interface "PPC440EP_ETH" configuration failed with station address = 00:50:C2:80:D4:12 (5,10193, Bad address, Unknown SANA-II wire error 10193).
Mon July 23 22:08:36 2012 [error]: Could not add route from "DEVS:Internet/routes", line 4 (Network is unreachable).

Another message I get at times is the that the "PPC440EP_ETH file already exist,: even though I have deleted it manually from DEVS:Net....

So far I have managed to create and use a new Internet connection by using the path: Prefs:Internet and creating a new interface, which I have called "Home." So far this works, BUT the problem that I have is that this connection works fine as long as I don't reboot my system, because when I do, I get all the same error messages again and I have to delete my Home interface in Prefs:Internet, and create a new one. It's like my system is not saving or using this connection by default.

So in my ignorance my main problems are:

1. Error messages generated during boot up, since the system cannot establish an Internet connection by default
2. Not being able to save the settings I'm using now with this connection (Home). Home was created through Prefs:Internet and creating a new interface.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Slayer
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Re: New to OS4.1 - Troubles with Internet

Post by Slayer »

I suggest you edit the DEVS:Internet/routes file and replace with the default as follows:

# Routes which should be established when the protocol stack
# initializes itself. Each line corresponds to a route which should
# be established, very much like the parameters passed to the
# AddNetRoute command. The template is:
#
# DST=DESTINATION/K,HOSTDST=HOSTDESTINATION/K,NETDST=NETDESTINATION/K,
# VIA=GATEWAY/K,DEFAULT=DEFAULTGATEWAY/K
#
# You must either specify the default route, or specify a route with a
# destination address. Note that no duplicates are allowed, i.e. there
# can be only a single default route and the same route may not be
# established twice.
#default localhost

remove everything from inside DEVS:NetInterfaces

if you haven't already

then use the "New Connection" program in SYS:Internet

At the end of this process it should save everything, it's all pretty straight forward

I do not have a SAM460EX but I think this should solve your problems unless there is more customisation we don't know about yet ;)
~Yes I am a Kiwi, No, I did not appear as an extra in 'Lord of the Rings'~
1x AmigaOne X5000 2.0GHz 2gM RadeonR9280X AOS4.x
3x AmigaOne X1000 1.8GHz 2gM RadeonHD7970 AOS4.x
WeiXing3D

Post by WeiXing3D »

No worries. I got it up an running. I had to delete all files from the previous installation made by the former owner. This is a second hand system.

Now, I'd like to start learning more about OS4.1 and what I can do with my system. For instance, I'd like to learn how to extract and install .lha files, how to mount .adf files that I can port either from a USB stick or SD card. I have lots of software apps in floppies that I use with my A1200, that' I'd like to try to port. I have some of those s/w apps in a cf card already. I can read the cf card directly from my SAM460EX using my USB multicard reader.

I will welcome nay suggestions about where to start.
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

WeiXing3D wrote:For instance, I'd like to learn how to extract and install .lha files,
Load them into UnArc, which is in your Utilities drawer (and in your AmiDock, if it is unchanged), to unpack them. From there, it of course depends on the contents what to do, but usually there will be an installer or at least a doc file telling you what to do. Many programs are "installed" simply by unpacking them into a suitable place, e.g. on your Work partition.
how to mount .adf files that I can port either from a USB stick or SD card.
Use DiskImageDevice, which is installed with the Extras Installer on your OS4.1 CD. It will mount them as virtual floppies, visible to Workbench as real ones. Again, depending on the contents, you can then use them from WB, or you may have to use E-UAE, e.g. with RunInUAE.

Best regards,

Niels