Update2 - Boot Issues...

This forum is for all AmigaOne 500, Sam440 and Sam460 specific issues.
Belxjander

Re: Update2 - Boot Issues...

Post by Belxjander »

@nbache:

The "logical test" you proposed is irrelevant,

TEST: Two Kicklayout Entries, with "Update2" specific kmods in Sys:Kickstart/u2/ and configured appropriately,

Implementation:
Attempt to boot "AmigaOS4.1FE+U1" and "AmigaOS4.1FE+U2" entries independently *without* Startup-Sequence script.

I used the Kicklayout from the 4.1FE CD and made two entries...
"AmigaOS4.1FE+U1" is the Sys:Kickstart/ tree as applied from the CD with Update1 installed,
"AmigaOS4.1FE+U2" is replacing specifically the dos/elf/newlib kmod triplet with "Sys:Kickstart/u2/" path prefixing as the exclusive difference.

Testing is attempting to boot each KickLayout entry as presented by the Boot menu listing the two labels configured in the KickLayout.

RESULTS:
AmigaOS4.1FE+U1 KickLayout entrie worked and provided a Boot Shell which enabled Execution of the renamed Startup-Sequence and a usable system.
= SUCCESSFUL Boot Shell provision and a working system

AmigaOS4.1FE+U2 (using u2/dos.library.kmod + u2/elf.library.kmod + u2/newlib.library.kmod [=sam440ep])
= FAILURE of Boot Shell provision, even given a full 10 minutes...

Therefore, *regardless* of the system isntalled onto the HDD ... if the Kickstart itself CAN NOT provision a boot shell at all,
something is seriously broken BEFORE the system on disk is even looked at.

so the argument of requiring a fresh install at this point is irrelevant.

please explain how I am suppossed to obtain a "hotfix" where I can not actually boot the specific Kickstart module set for Update 2?

HARDWARE:
sam440ep-flex mainboard with PCI "Radeon 9250 Graphics Card", "Broadcom Wireless Network Controller", "USB3 XHCI Controller" cards installed,
2x SATA 1TB Samsung HDDs
(1st is AmigaOS RDSK prepared with multiple AmigaOS4.x and Linux partitions, 2nd is PTBL partitioned with a single 1TB NTFS partition)
USB Keyboard+Mouse by Wireless controller
USB BeagleBoneBlack (Arch Linux with "USB Device" options "disk", "serial", Network[EEM, ECM] enabled, "RNDIS" and "printer" disabled)

additionally...
AmiUpdate is specifically listing the same 3 specific updates repeatedly even AFTER installation of the updates in question.

The system itself has not displayed any major errors outside of what is expected for software development.
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

Belxjander wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:56 am @nbache:

The "logical test" you proposed is irrelevant,
If you say so ...

Best regards,

Niels
Hypex
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by Hypex »

Belxjander wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:56 am Implementation:
Attempt to boot "AmigaOS4.1FE+U1" and "AmigaOS4.1FE+U2" entries independently *without* Startup-Sequence script.

I used the Kicklayout from the 4.1FE CD and made two entries...
"AmigaOS4.1FE+U1" is the Sys:Kickstart/ tree as applied from the CD with Update1 installed,
"AmigaOS4.1FE+U2" is replacing specifically the dos/elf/newlib kmod triplet with "Sys:Kickstart/u2/" path prefixing as the exclusive difference.
That looks complicated. Did you ever fix this? I understand without AmigaBoot that menu needs setting up by hand.

One thing I didn't see mentioned, using AmiUpdate is all well and good, but it won't work on a fresh install. Unless you have installed your password this won't work. Did you reinstall your account settings? I would suggest to download the updates manually and then install from the archive which should include an installer.

Also, do you have interrupts enabled for your graphics? Your system is different. But I found my Workbench will freeze for some reason if I have interrupts enabled on Update 2.
Belxjander

Post by Belxjander »

Not that complicated...

Using a second HDD... I booted and re-installed clean-slate from the Installer CD...

I then duplicated the Boot Entry for the OS on the clean-slate.

I then applied AmiUpdate and updates on the clean-slate... which led me into the exact same error condition as my main drive.

I do NOT get any options about Interrupts or anything else unless you are talking about something in the sam440-flex U-boot firmware...

as *nothing* past the Kickstart will be loaded to run once the Kickstart bootstraps with Update2 materials applied...

so this is still an outstanding issue without resolution.

I'm normally using my main installation and the above install was only temporary...

also the reason why I stated that clean-slate installation was irrelevant to the problem ( renaming the startup-sequence and booting with exclusively only the Kickstart into a boot-shell **DOES NOT HAPPEN** due to where the problem is within the kickstart post-load image itself.

Honestly... Editing the KickLayout in a Text editor and making a second entry is not that difficult...

Begin with a label line and needs the launcher and then a whole set of modules to be listed.

I just had to deal with all that twice.

I did have AmigaOS 4.1 FE and +U1 as separate entries in the list...but changed that to the two updates...

I prefer to always have at least one means of rescue bootstrap setup. that is all there is to it.
Hypex
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by Hypex »

Belxjander wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 9:57 am I do NOT get any options about Interrupts or anything else unless you are talking about something in the sam440-flex U-boot firmware...
Sorry just found this today and I see I was unclear. What I meant is to disable video interrupts from the ScreenMode Prefs or your monitor driver tooltypes. But, you may also need to go further as well, and disable compositing completely. From the Effects section.
Belxjander wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 9:57 am Honestly... Editing the KickLayout in a Text editor and making a second entry is not that difficult...
That's easy enough but making it work transparently is harder. I did this on my A1 in recent times and found I kept missing steps as I was going from memory. I ended up with boot entries that did not boot. I use the method where updates can be applied to Kickstarts without needing to manually update Kicklayout files. So each one needs BootDevice, there own Kickstart folder and soft linked into one volume SLB can read at boot. It's a bit of manual editing. Would help if there was a Kicklayout manager to do it but it's a hand job AFAIK.
Belxjander wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 9:57 am I did have AmigaOS 4.1 FE and +U1 as separate entries in the list...but changed that to the two updates...
I didn't have any issue on my A1 with my 9200SE. And Update 2 works fine on that. But I had major trouble on my X1000 with my R7 250 Radeon.

It's fortunate the X1000 uses AmigaBoot as it merges all Kicklayouts together into a single boot menu. So you don't need to edit it by hand. Otherwise needing to do all the steps I listed for each new Workbench test partition would be a nightmare.

My X1000 still has issues with Update 2. I've traced it down to a graphic driver. I need to use the Enhancer driver for my Radeon as it isn't supported by OS4. So after every fresh install, and I've installed OS4 fresh to a few volumes here, I need to patch OS4 with the Enhancer driver. I don't like doing this as a rule, but the OS4 OEM driver is obsolete since FE, and anything above a 6000 or 7000 will fail to boot. I found it doesn't like compositing or interrupts enabled for my card. That can get it to work. But I still have old issues with apps like AmiUpdate killing AmiDock and menus.

So, unfortunately I still need to run Update 1, for a stable experience. In fact, I still need run the old Update 1 patch, that is an Update 1 Kickstart with Update 2 applied to it, You may grow tired of testing. Fresh install volumes. A fresh HDD with nothing else. Only to find that it still doesn't work what ever you do so, and it should be very simple, so just give up. :)

I'm not aware of the 9250 card having any issues. As it's fairly common and OS4 supports it directly. But don't know if that caused your issue either.