OS4.1FE did not start.

A forum for AmigaOne XE and MicroA1-C specific issues.
Raziel

Re: OS4.1FE did not start.

Post by Raziel »

@ZeroG

Thanks for clarifying

@nvz58l

You can try to hold down both mouse buttons once UBoot has finished loading the kernel modules.
If it works you'll end up in the early startup menu (no tools, programs or workbench loaded upto now)

There you'd be able to check some basic things like if your hdd is seen, your pci stuff is working and such.
It also gives you the chance to start without startup-sequence into a basic shell.
If you can't reach the early startup menu either you might be stuck and need a serial log
People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
nzv58l

Post by nzv58l »

Tried holding down both mouse buttons, but same thing.

I would like to see if it is really getting to the startup-sequence. How do I direct the startup sequence output to the serial device?
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

The timing of when exactly to hold down the mouse buttons can be quite tricky.

You might want to try holding down the "Help" (Scroll Lock) key instead. It should be held right at the start of the "splash screen period", i.e. just after Kickstart has loaded, but not for too long.

About seeing the Startup-Sequence over serial: It's not directly possible, but what you can do is get one of those commands which output a string to Serial, and use it at various places in the Startup-Sequence, like "breadcrumbs" showing you on serial how far it got.

Here is one: http://os4depot.net/index.php?function= ... alecho.lha
And another: http://os4depot.net/index.php?function= ... 2debug.lha

I haven't tried either of those, I use another one which I think wasn't released publically.

Best regards,

Niels
MichaelMerkel
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by MichaelMerkel »

nbache wrote:The timing of when exactly to hold down the mouse buttons can be quite tricky.

You might want to try holding down the "Help" (Scroll Lock) key instead. It should be held right at the start of the "splash screen period", i.e. just after Kickstart has loaded, but not for too long.
the best thing to do is not to hold down the key but to press it a couple of times. usually right after the os splashscreen becomes visible (or at the same time).
just press the help key ~4-5 times/sec for about 2-3 seconds right until the boot menu comes up. this almost always works fine here.
pressing and holding it not often works.
don't know if this also works with the mouse keys, though.

regards
michael
Michael Merkel :lol:
(Member of Amiga Freunde Pfalz)
nzv58l

Post by nzv58l »

Not seeing anything comming from Startup-Sequence after loading the SerialEcho and planting it all over my startup-sequence.

Big question I have is: Is there Anyone running UBOOT 1.1.1 on an AmigaXE with a G4? I was told that was the latest official version that will work with the AmigaOne XE, but right now I am doubting if it works at all with the AmigaOne XE. Ever since updating the uboot to 1.1.1 I have only been able to run off the CD. My AmigaOne XE is unmodified, stock version. I have pulled everything off of it and still not able to boot properly. If someone can confirm they are running 1.1.1 on a machine like mine then I will at least have some hope, but I am out of things to try. If someone has an AmigaOne XE, and not running 1.1.1, what are you running? Did you install fresh or update? Are you running off the built in IDE or do you have a card(which chipset and is it ide or sata?)?
Raziel

Post by Raziel »

nbache wrote:The timing of when exactly to hold down the mouse buttons can be quite tricky.

About seeing the Startup-Sequence over serial: It's not directly possible, but what you can do is get one of those commands which output a string to Serial, and use it at various places in the Startup-Sequence, like "breadcrumbs" showing you on serial how far it got.

Here is one: http://os4depot.net/index.php?function= ... alecho.lha
And another: http://os4depot.net/index.php?function= ... 2debug.lha

I haven't tried either of those, I use another one which I think wasn't released publically.

Best regards,

Niels
It's actually easier to simply put

"SET Echo ON" in the first line of startup-sequence

That will spam every single line to the monitor :-)

But i think he might have a problem of a hardware part crashing the software before anything is loaded
People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
nzv58l

Post by nzv58l »

Tried with SET Echo ON and I saw nothing.

I experimented and used my OS 4.0 update #4 disk and was able to load that onto a hard drive, which boots without issue.

Tried installing over it and it does the same thing as before.

I do not have access to any other versions of OS 4.1, but AmigaOS 4.1FE does not work with the AmigaOne XE/G4, at least not with UBOOT 1.1.1 which i now do not think is the issue, because OS 4.0 can boot with it. I really am out of ideas here. I have been trying for a month to try and get this to work, my system is pretty stock, my settings are default as can be and it just does not work.

Is there any way to get at the earlier versions of OS 4.1?
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

Raziel wrote:It's actually easier to simply put

"SET Echo ON" in the first line of startup-sequence

That will spam every single line to the monitor :-)
Yes, provided the graphics card, the monitor and the early screenmode are compatible, correctly installed and actually working.

Best regards,

Niels
nzv58l

Post by nzv58l »

I have reset everything to factory several times, it is displaying the AmigaOS 4.1 final edition logo fine. My screen is not black when it freezes, it is displaying the logo. I think it actually has issues just before it starts the startup-sequence as I did not get any output when using the SerialEcho program in the startup-sequence either.

I wonder if it could be something to do with the swap volume. The CD does not use a SWAP volume and probably does not even try to look for one. Recently I have been trying to run without one, but I know I was able to boot from the hd once after removing or adding the Swap volume. However, it was not a sure thing as sometimes I would add or eliminate the swap volume and it would still not boot.

Does anyone know at what point the swap volume gets activated?

I wonder if it sometimes is looking for it, and can not find it so it freezes everything. Even when I do not have anything hooked up, it may be caught in a loop trying to find it.

I would also be interested in how the system searches for the swap volume?

Does the swap volume have to be on the built in IDE or is there a position on the hd that it needs to be like on the first or second partition on the drive?

I also have a Sil0680 IDE, a Sil3114 SATA and I ordered a SIL3112 SATA as I have heard that support for a 4 port SATA Sil3114 is not all there in UBOOT 1.1.1 and I believe that you still can not boot from a SIL3114 if what I heard is correct in UBOOT 1.1.1 .

I think the SWAP drive has to be determined before the startup-sequence is started, which would make sense as to why my startup sequence does not display anything. I think it is getting hung up in the search process, and even though I do not have a swap volume, I think it is having trouble finding out I do not have one. I am guessing that the fade in happens before the startup-sequence is executed.

Is there any setting that I could actually turn off the SWAP volume search process(not by just not having a SWAP volume, but I would like to avoid even looking for one at this point), or is there a way to point it to the correct partition/drive to help the search process out? I am pretty sure the CD does not look for a swap volume...therefore the CD will boot every time.

I know I am guessing at this point, but it would seem to me to make a lot of sense that it is swap drive related. I have tried a ton of other ways to get this to work and I really believe it is dying just before the startup-sequence starts. I am spending more time on this and I am determined to find out what is going on here, because I believe that anyone with an AmigaOne XE will have this same issue unless if going to a Sil3112 resolves the issue which I will soon find out as soon as the card gets here.
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

Don't worry about the swap volume, that's not important.

The only thing which cares at all is the kernel, and if there is no swap volume, it will just not swap memory - end of story.

So all it means is you are limited to your physically installed memory. It won't affect your ability to boot at all.

Best regards,

Niels