OS4.1 fails to install on AmigaOne SE

A forum for AmigaOne XE and MicroA1-C specific issues.
Hypex
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Re: OS4.1 fails to install on AmigaOne SE

Post by Hypex »

I know of the bad history of the SE. Some were sold off to average users who really had a hard time with it and would wonder how the machine got ff the ground. Given the faluts it has. Of course this wasn't the consumer model. But when you are sold an A1SE and told it was the big one everybody bought you gotta feel ripped off at what a bad stain it was in trhe A1 history.

Main thngs I remember is hard reset don't work and onboard USB messes the system up. But like on other machines USB can be fixed ip by installing an NEC USB2 card.

That said, what if USB is disables in UBoot?
TSK
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by TSK »

@Hypex
Hard reset stopped working few months ago on my system. Before that it worked fine many years. One guy said he couldn't get all 3 PCI33 slots working at the same time but they're all used and working here. Some people have said they have working USB with NEC (?) based PCI cards. Like ssolie said issues of these mobos are varying between boards. But with sii0680ide controller this system have worked as a software development system quite nicely. At least the CPU is soldered on board so no easily breaking Megarray's. And the CPU cooler is good enough for overclocking as well. ;-)
Keep the party going !
Hypex
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by Hypex »

@TSK

I have a friend with an SE. I checked the reset jumper was hooked up. Pressing it doesn't reset. Have to switch case on and off. IIRC it doesn't like Ctrl-Alt-Alt either.

It also has an NEC USB card that works fine. IIRC it is running OS4.1 prior to Update 1. It has WBStartup and Tools intact IIRC. And a 0680. Yes good points about the CPU. :-)
Tuxedo

Post by Tuxedo »

When I had the A1SE I isntalle dthe AmigaOS4.1 simply copying the CD boot files on a tiny partition and have edited te kicklayout file commenting out the USB kernel modules lines...then you can boot form the partition to load kernel and than load the CD without problems :)
Thats the only SECURE way to load/install AmigaOS 4.1 on A1SE I get only one time loading the AmigaOS4.1 CD dierctly on my old A1SE without problems and dunno why :P

On the A1SE I got a NEC card that works quite well on usb 1.1(simply comment out the uhci usb drivers but not the ehci), however dunno if the 2.0 works...

So, plz, try theat metod...that was rather simple and works :)
Remember also to edit the kicklayout file on the new installation and remove the usb lines if you dont you cant boot on the newely inastalled system...

Fior the A1SE unstability I can say only that:

- Dont put in it a Soundblaster card! After I'm changed the Sooundblaster Audigy with a simple Muse5.1 stability was improved much

- Use the Sil680 card

- I used the board for about 6 years also developing a bit, using Blender, RA-OWB, SabreMSN, SImpleMail simultaneously and not get any real problem, only sometime some weird bug but only in really stressing situations and rarely...

- there's some weird things happening with bad programs or in certain circuunstances but dont remember exactly and however was REALLY rare.

- I used my board at 666MHz from almost the beginning without any problem

- Use only EEC ram with it...

That's all!

ENJOY A1SE! :D
bdeneen

Post by bdeneen »

Again, thanks to all of those who replied to my post. Most of my time has been taken up with AmiWest since I posted.

As it turns out, one of our club members has just purchased and updated our club AmigaOne SE to OS4.1 update 3. I'm going to follow his procedure and report back on its success with any adjustments that need to be made. Although I'm sure that "onward and upward" is a good idea, I would like to keep my "older" hardware running as well, for simpler tasks. :)
Amigaprez
msalcedo
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by msalcedo »

bdeneen wrote:Again, thanks to all of those who replied to my post. Most of my time has been taken up with AmiWest since I posted.

As it turns out, one of our club members has just purchased and updated our club AmigaOne SE to OS4.1 update 3. I'm going to follow his procedure and report back on its success with any adjustments that need to be made. Although I'm sure that "onward and upward" is a good idea, I would like to keep my "older" hardware running as well, for simpler tasks. :)
I'm that sacc guy,
Yes, I was able to install release 4.1 all the way to 4.1.3.
But, I had to disable the usb in uboot(v1.1.1). The other side effect was losing the ethernet port as well.
When I go back to version 4.1, I can turn on the usb ports in uboot and get back the ethernet as well.

The main suggestion is to install a usb pci card with a nec chipset for better usb...
But what pci ethernet card should I look for if I choose to use 4.1.3 and turn off the usb/ent in uboot
Or is there a fix for this issue?
Michael
Draby

Post by Draby »

@msalcedo

Hi, don't know if this will be of help.
The only thing I had to disable was "MODULE kickstart/uhci.usbhcd" via the installed kicklayout file, if that wasn't done it would hang on a greyed out splash screen.
Onboard ethernet still works and I'm using a generic usb pci card with NEC chip,
marked thus: D720100AGM 0525KP003

With update 3, I have also commented out "MODULE Kickstart/ehci.usbhcd" and gone back to ps2 keyboard and mouse.
Regards
msalcedo
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by msalcedo »

Draby wrote:@msalcedo

Hi, don't know if this will be of help.
The only thing I had to disable was "MODULE kickstart/uhci.usbhcd" via the installed kicklayout file, if that wasn't done it would hang on a greyed out splash screen.
Onboard ethernet still works and I'm using a generic usb pci card with NEC chip,
marked thus: D720100AGM 0525KP003

With update 3, I have also commented out "MODULE Kickstart/ehci.usbhcd" and gone back to ps2 keyboard and mouse.
Regards
Many Thanks Draby

I commented out the uhci and rein-abled the usb in uboot. Got back my ethernet! YES!
I am using a ps2 keyboard and a amigaone usb mouse with a ps2 adaptor anyway.

The real gotcha is that to install from cd, If you do not first disable the usb in uboot, it locks up at the splash.
So...you have to first disable usb in uboot, then install the 4.1 update, then updates 2 and 3.
only then can you go in and comment out the module lines.

Thanks again, I really wanted enet
Michael
msalcedo
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by msalcedo »

Back again.
Just wanted to report that in order to install update 4, I was able to just download, unarc and double click. But after reboot I had to disable onboard usb again and I had to comment out the uhci.x and ehci.x otherwise, my g3 would hang at the splash screen.

Michael
Dirk-B

Post by Dirk-B »

What is the last official release of AmigaOS for the AmigaOne G3 SE ?