XE refuses to boot from new HDD (Solved)

A forum for AmigaOne XE and MicroA1-C specific issues.
Raziel

XE refuses to boot from new HDD (Solved)

Post by Raziel »

Help

I'm completely out of ideas, i tried everything

I'm getting this in UBoot, no matter what i try or change in the settings :-(

Found an HD
FLB: found something
FLB: SLB of length 27832; loading
found AmigaOS4 second level bootloader.
FLB: SLB loaded; now launching it
Loading .text @ 0x014000a0 (22464 bytes)
Loading .rodata @ 0x01405860 (2488 bytes)
Loading .eh_frame @ 0x01406218 (52 bytes)
Loading .got2 @ 0x0141624c (724 bytes)
Loading .data @ 0x01416520 (208 bytes)
Loading .sdata @ 0x014165f0 (16 bytes)
Clearing .sbss @ 0x01416600 (168 bytes)
Clearing .bss @ 0x014166a8 (3928 bytes)
A1 second level booter V2.
Idea, design and main code: Andrea Vallinotto.
Testing and fixes: Stefan Burstroem
SFS and ISO9660 reading routines: Joerg Strohmayer.
Linux booting extensions: Andrea and the GRUB team.
No config files found in any supported media/device!
No configuration file found in any partitions.
Press any key to continue

I originally had two completely identical HDDs on master 1 and slave 1, and a cdrom on master 2
My main HDD bit the dust and i simply switched places with the first slave drive (changing it to master)

Booting from the CD works fine, even now, partitioning the HDD to sfs/02, bootable and automount, "swap" and "stuff" (also sfs/02), all of them using 512 bytes and some buffers.
I installed the slb (v1.16 27832 bytes) to the boot drive, formatted and on a second reboot installed AmigaOS4.1 from cd, everything went good, but then it started to choke.
(The mad thing is that when i boot in with the CD the HDD is there, can be accessed and is working great...it only refuses to boot)

On every reboot i get the above (except with a cd in the drive of course) and i don't know why or what i could do to make it boot from HDD

I tried to set every possible Uboot variable (i am using the onboard VIA a1ide.device) - no go
I tried to swap and shuffle around the drives (changing master/slave accordingly) - no go
I even tried to format and reinstall the OS on a FFS formatted partition - no go
I changed the UBoot setting for accessing the Kickstart modules from "Default" to "AmigaOS4.1" (as it is called on my HDD) - no go

Please help, i only found one other case here in the forums which was fixed by de-setting the UBoot variable for the device (so UBoot can check itself which media type it has) but as i mentioned above, i tried with the setting left blank - no go

I'm at a loss here, please help...
Last edited by Raziel on Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
satiropan

Re: XE refuses to boot from new HDD

Post by satiropan »

I have been fighting with my amigaone g3-se since last june, so I am just writing what comes to my mind, in no particular order.
if, at the uboot prompt, you type 'boota', do you get the same message?
check hd master/slave config and cable setting, if you have 80 wires cable, the blue connector on the board, the last (black) connector on the master, the middle connector on a slave.
check boot priority in uboot preferences menu, unselect the cd rom drive and set only the hd drive as booting device
with the cdrom booted OS, open a shell and type nvgetvar and save the list somewhwre so that you can read it
the following is my varlis from nvgetvar, check it with yours

bootdelay=0
baudrate=115200
stdout=vga
stdin=ps2kbd
ide_doreset=on
ide_cd_timeout=30
menucmd=menu
bootmethod=boota
autostart=yes
video_activate=agp
pci_irqa=9
pci_irqa_select=level
pci_irqb=10
pci_irqb_select=level
pci_irqc=11
pci_irqc_select=level
pci_irqd=7
pci_irqd_select=level
agp_enable=on
agp_sideband=off
agp_speed=2x
sii3112ide_xfer=GF
sii0680ide_maxbus=2
sii3114ide_maxbus=2
a1ide_maxbus=2
serial1_address=3f8
serial2_address=2f8
parallel_mode=1
parallel_address=378
usb0_enable=off
usb1_enable=off
usb_use_header=0
ide_maxbus=1
ide_swap=0
bootcmd=menu; run menuboot_cmd
video_num=1
menuboot_cmd=boota; boota; boota
boot1=cdrom
boot2=ide
boot3=
boot_config=Default
boota_timeout=1
boot_method=boota
menuboot_delay=1
os4_commandline=debuglevel=0
bootargs=root=/dev/ram rw ramdisk=4096

load uboot default values, and setenv all the variables that are different from my list (apart from the sii3112_xfer settings)
see what happens and report here
Satiropan
PPA1200 (Poor Portable Amiga 1200): BPPC-160MB,
BVision-CGX4, HD 10GB, slim DVD R/W, Asus VW161D
display, 3COM Lan PC card, OS4.1FE
AmigaOne G3-SE 600MHz, 1GB, Radeon 9200 128DDR,
CS4281 sound card, RTL8029, SiI3114, OS 4.1.6 & OS4.1FE
http://www.oldfab.webs.com
Raziel

Post by Raziel »

Thanks satiropan for looking

Yes, i tried all of that already, in fact setting UBoot to factory settings was the first i did and from that on i slowly rebuild the settings. but for no good.

If i type "boota" at the prompt, no matter if a CD-ROM is known to UBoot or not, it will bring up the same error

I had master slave on the same cable before but now to reduce failure i put the HDD as master on the first chain and CD-ROM as master on the second, they are seen as installed by UBoot but still refuse to boot from the HDD

I will definitely check out the cableing again, thanks for the hint
People are dying.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Raziel

Post by Raziel »

No good

I checked the cables, i checked the setting even changing some to match yours

It just doesn't want to boot :-(
People are dying.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

Raziel wrote:Booting from the CD works fine, even now, partitioning the HDD to sfs/02, bootable and automount, "swap" and "stuff" (also sfs/02), all of them using 512 bytes and some buffers.
I installed the slb (v1.16 27832 bytes) to the boot drive, formatted and on a second reboot installed AmigaOS4.1 from cd, everything went good, but then it started to choke.
(The mad thing is that when i boot in with the CD the HDD is there, can be accessed and is working great...it only refuses to boot)
I may be wrong, but AFAIR, UBoot/slb cannot boot from SFS\2, only SFS\0. Do you have any particular reason to have files larger than 2GB on your boot partition? Otherwise try reformatting it to SFS\0.

Best regards,

Niels
Raziel

Post by Raziel »

nbache wrote:
Raziel wrote:Booting from the CD works fine, even now, partitioning the HDD to sfs/02, bootable and automount, "swap" and "stuff" (also sfs/02), all of them using 512 bytes and some buffers.
I may be wrong, but AFAIR, UBoot/slb cannot boot from SFS\2, only SFS\0. Do you have any particular reason to have files larger than 2GB on your boot partition? Otherwise try reformatting it to SFS\0.

Best regards,

Niels
I thought this limitation was "fixed" a while ago? (Also, remember that i had it formatted as FFS aswell already)

Anyway, i'll try everything, thanks for the suggestion
People are dying.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Raziel

Post by Raziel »

nbache wrote:

Best regards,

Niels
THAT DID IT!!!

/me hugs Niels

There was i thinking SFS/2 had since long suport for slb booting, but how wrong i was :-/
(Strange that it refused to boot with FFS but maybe i had wrong UBoot settings back when i tried?)

One question remains now...do i need to install all updates in order or should it be possible to simply install update 6/AmiUpdate?
People are dying.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
satiropan

Post by satiropan »

Raziel wrote:
There was i thinking SFS/2 had since long suport for slb booting, but how wrong i was :-/
(Strange that it refused to boot with FFS but maybe i had wrong UBoot settings back when i tried?)

One question remains now...do i need to install all updates in order or should it be possible to simply install update 6/AmiUpdate?
better do all teh updates in order
but it's strange, I have sfs/2 on my boot ide hard disk and it boots fine, I'll check
Satiropan
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

Raziel wrote:One question remains now...do i need to install all updates in order or should it be possible to simply install update 6/AmiUpdate?
You need them all, starting with (IIRC) update 2, or whichever one it was that had the latest full ISO.

The updates available through AmiUpdate are only the ones released after Update 6.

Best regards,

Niels
satiropan

Post by satiropan »

Raziel wrote: There was i thinking SFS/2 had since long suport for slb booting, but how wrong i was :-/
As I said, I have checked, I do have sfs/02 on the booting partition and I do boot from it with no problem
Satiropan