How to update WHDLoad to work with Run-In-U-AE?

A forum for Classic Amiga specific support issues.
Elowan

How to update WHDLoad to work with Run-In-U-AE?

Post by Elowan »

hello there,

I did a fresh install of 4.1FE including all updates and most contributions from the CD-ROM.

Now, I remember WHDLoad asking for a Keyfile and I skipped it - because most recent version is free and needs no keyfiles anymore.
How can I update or re-install the latest WHDLoad to work with the Run-In-U-AE setup ?

AFAIK it will not work, when just DL WHDLoad.lha, extract it and then run installer.

Can somebody please guide me thru this process? I do not want to destroy my setup - it just took me far tooooo long to have it up and running...

Cheers!
Hypex
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Re: How to update WHDLoad to work with Run-In-U-AE?

Post by Hypex »

You need to install it inside the emulation. You can make use of the RunInUAE RAM share feature.
  • Simply copy or extract WHDLoad to your OS4 RAM Disk.
  • Now load up RunInUAE and boot WB.
  • On the UAE WB locate WHDLoad from the RAM Disk 2 (or whatever the name is).
  • Run the WHDLoad installer.
Keeping in mind UAE is unstable when writing to a drive folder.
Elowan

Post by Elowan »

hello Hypex,

thank you for your advice.
I tried to follow the steps you suggested - but got no luck.

First, I extracted WHDLoad to my OS4.1 RAM Disk, then I started RunInUAE and booted up WB.
On this "UAE-WB" I just get one Ram Disk (the empty one from the WB 3.1) and can not see a way to access
my 4.1 Ram disk from there.

Besides the Ram disk, there is only a Workbench and a SavedGames drawer.

Another thing is, when I try to set RunInUae to execute things "windowed" or in another Res (like 640x400 or something)
I get a Guru right after choosing so. I like to run emulated stuff in a window, like 800x600 or something similar.
But UAE won´t let me do so *sigh*

I´ve found out that CTRL+ALT+S shows a screen where I can change settings - but if I choose something like
"PAL high res" system freezes...

man this sucks! No way to change anything, regarding resolution? strange !

anyways, resolution-guru´s aside - where can I get access to my other Ram disk from within the booted WB3.1 emulation?

please explain!

Cheers
Hypex
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by Hypex »

Hi. I need to check my config but for me it worked without changing anything as far as I can recall. I can't find much info online about it. My setup is fairly generic. I really haven't customised it at all. I use it to test 68K software on a plain WB and some games now and then.

Sometimes I open a 68K binary and let RunInUAE launch it. But mostly I use Boot WB from the RunInUAE menu. I know you can do it for games but not sure about having different WB configs. Suppose it's all the same to RunInUAE. Check your main config .uaerc_runinUAE file and the following should be there for the shared RAM Disk:

Code: Select all

filesystem2=rw,RAM Disk2_:RAM Disk2:RAM Disk:,-1
As to screenmodes I don't think I tested that much. Shouldn't matter in windows mode. Looks like a bug in the UAE that RunInUAE is using. It's possible it couldn't open the screen it wanted. But I would have expected it would check.
Raziel

Post by Raziel »

@Elowan

These are my gfx settings in .uaerc, you can play with them and see if they fit your needs (# are comments)

## Display settings
gfx_width_windowed=640
gfx_height_windowed=512
#gfx_width_fullscreen=640
#gfx_height_fullscreen=512
gfx_lores=false
# Linemode
# (none, double, scanlines)
# Biing!!! needs "double"
gfx_linemode=double
gfx_correct_aspect=yes
# Center
# (none, simple, smart)
gfx_center_horizontal=smart
gfx_center_vertical=smart
gfx_fullscreen_amiga=true
# Frame skip
# (1=show all frames, 2=show every 2nd frame, 3=show every 3rd frame, etc)
gfx_framerate=1
# blitter_cycle_exact has to be set to "no" for JIT to work correctly
blitter_cycle_exact=no
People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Elowan

Post by Elowan »

Hypex wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 7:12 am Hi. I need to check my config but for me it worked without changing anything as far as I can recall. I can't find much info online about it. My setup is fairly generic. I really haven't customised it at all. I use it to test 68K software on a plain WB and some games now and then.

Sometimes I open a 68K binary and let RunInUAE launch it. But mostly I use Boot WB from the RunInUAE menu. I know you can do it for games but not sure about having different WB configs. Suppose it's all the same to RunInUAE. Check your main config .uaerc_runinUAE file and the following should be there for the shared RAM Disk:

As to screenmodes I don't think I tested that much. Shouldn't matter in windows mode. Looks like a bug in the UAE that RunInUAE is using. It's possible it couldn't open the screen it wanted. But I would have expected it would check.
Thanks, this worked - I got a Ram Disk2 now, which happen to be the one from OS4.1. But when I doubleclick the WHDLoad intaller I get:
"Unable to open your tool installer"... hmmm - I am kind of stuck again :(

Cheers!
Elowan

Post by Elowan »

Raziel wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 1:25 pm @Elowan

These are my gfx settings in .uaerc, you can play with them and see if they fit your needs (# are comments)

thank you, works fine! only thing is, UAE still starts in fullscreen mode, instead of windowed. I need to go "CTRL+ALT+S" then "Cancel" the dialog requester to get a uae run windowed in the resolution I setup in .uaerc file (720x568 in this case)

Another thing is, when I change the screensize in emulated WB to say "PAL High RES Laced" and go "Save" - settings are gone next time I startup the emulataed WB again.

Is this "emulator install" not supposed to be changed?

Cheers!
Raziel

Post by Raziel »

Elowan wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:20 pm
Hypex wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 7:12 am Hi. I need to check my config but for me it worked without changing anything as far as I can recall. I can't find much info online about it. My setup is fairly generic. I really haven't customised it at all. I use it to test 68K software on a plain WB and some games now and then.

Thanks, this worked - I got a Ram Disk2 now, which happen to be the one from OS4.1. But when I doubleclick the WHDLoad intaller I get:
"Unable to open your tool installer"... hmmm - I am kind of stuck again :(

Cheers!
Make sure "Installer" can be found in your path.
Otherwise you can change the program that will be executed from "Information/Icon" to e.g. "Sys:utilities/installer"
People are dying.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Elowan

Post by Elowan »

hmmm, sorry don´t know...

I installed WHDLoad a few times on other systems, the installer always did his job.
Never had to change anything.

What I get from your reply, is I have to go into "information" of the installer and set another path?
If so - what path should I point to?

Sorry, I am kind of a new to this stuff - maybe I am asking a obvious question?

Cheers!
Raziel

Post by Raziel »

Try to do a
"which installer"
In a shell where installer resides and then use that on information.

No problem, every one of us was new to this stuff at one time :-)
People are dying.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg