AmigaOS 4.1FE Classic & 3.2.1 ROM no go (?)

A forum for Classic Amiga specific support issues.
spud

AmigaOS 4.1FE Classic & 3.2.1 ROM no go (?)

Post by spud »

Finally had time to revisit AmigaOS 4.1 FE Classic again and the Update 2.

A few years ago I had this running on an A4000, 3.1 ROMs with a Mediator and it was rock solid. However I had network issues, it would always stall update downloads. So I forgot about it.

In the mean time I have changed my setup a bit, A4000, 3.2.1 ROMs, native Daughter Board and eventually I want to try to get it to work with my ZZ9000 (not yet installed). So initially I have it running in AGA. I prepared the setup in WinUAE and am using Smartfilesystem (SFS/00) with a 2 GB boot and 14 GB Work partition.

Unfortunately this new setup is the absolute opposite to rock solid. It boots fine in about 50% of the cases, in other cases it freezes halfway building up the workbench screen. When it boots fully, it will still freeze within a minute, e.g. when starting shell from Amidock. This behaviour is identical with plain AOS4.1 FE, AOS4.1 FE + Update 1 & AOS4.1 FE + Update 1 & 2.

Apart from the daughter board and the new 3.2.1 ROM chips are the only difference. So I'm wondering whether AOS4.1 FE Classic doesn't like the new ROMs? Has this combination been tested?
reflex79

Re: AmigaOS 4.1FE Classic & 3.2.1 ROM no go (?)

Post by reflex79 »

i'm in the same situation, i have AmigaOS 4.1 and i bought AmigaOS 3.2 too, i'm about to install the new rom in my Amiga 4000 but i Fear that AmigaOS 4.1 doesn't like them. Did you solve your problems with it?
I have a ZZ9000 board too.
thomasrapp

Re: AmigaOS 4.1FE Classic & 3.2.1 ROM no go (?)

Post by thomasrapp »

The 3.x ROM version is irrelevant for OS4. Once the Bootloader has loaded the 4.x Kickstart, the 68K CPU is set to sleep and the 3.x ROM is ignored. If there are issues with OS4, they exist regardless of the physical ROM version.