Amiga OS4.1FE Classic and Radeon card issue.

A forum for Classic Amiga specific support issues.
thoby

Amiga OS4.1FE Classic and Radeon card issue.

Post by thoby »

Hi

I have an issue with a Radeon card on my setup. It shows some white stripes on the screen. From a cold start, the image can look very clear, but if you start to open windows or programs, suddenly the white stripes appear. First in the small and then they are pretty much everywhere. And finally, the whole system will freeze. A soft reset does not remove the white stripes, but if I shut down the computer and leave it off for a while before starting it again the strips has gone. But quickly returns again if you open some windows or a program.

I have tried a clean install of OS 4.1 FE and with update 1 and 2 but the result is the same.

I have attached a screenshot that I took with SGrab.

My specs are:
- Blizzard PPC 240Mhz with 190MB Ram
- Mediator PCI 1200
- Fast ATA 1200 MKV
- Radeon 9200 128MB from Elbox
Attachments
white_stripes.png
starting.png
Discovery69

Re: Amiga OS4.1FE Classic and Radeon card issue.

Post by Discovery69 »

thoby wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:48 pm Hi

I have an issue with a Radeon card on my setup. It shows some white stripes on the screen. From a cold start, the image can look very clear, but if you start to open windows or programs, suddenly the white stripes appear. First in the small and then they are pretty much everywhere. And finally, the whole system will freeze. A soft reset does not remove the white stripes, but if I shut down the computer and leave it off for a while before starting it again the strips has gone. But quickly returns again if you open some windows or a program.

I have tried a clean install of OS 4.1 FE and with update 1 and 2 but the result is the same.

I have attached a screenshot that I took with SGrab.

My specs are:
- Blizzard PPC 240Mhz with 190MB Ram
- Mediator PCI 1200
- Fast ATA 1200 MKV
- Radeon 9200 128MB from Elbox
Hi I think it could be a hardware problem. Are you able to test the card on an old PC? Or I use a Radeon 9250 on the Sam440 and it works fine. Try to buy this: https://www.ebay.it/itm/254824405336

Bye.

Luigi
thoby

Post by thoby »

I have tested the card on OS 3.9 and it seems to be working fine. I did also test with another card a Radeon 9250 that I use in a Sam440ep.This card also seem to show the same pattern when I use it on the A1200.

The card you refering to in the link seems to be an AGP and PCI at least if you look at the pictures.
Discovery69

Post by Discovery69 »

thoby wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:32 pm I have tested the card on OS 3.9 and it seems to be working fine. I did also test with another card a Radeon 9250 that I use in a Sam440ep.This card also seem to show the same pattern when I use it on the A1200.

The card you refering to in the link seems to be an AGP and PCI at least if you look at the pictures.
Ah okay now i think that a drivers compatibility problem.
thoby

Post by thoby »

I fund this guide here:
http://www.amedia-computer.com/amiga/do ... nglish.pdf

That mention some setting for Radeon card, but I can't find the Radeon icon in the montoris folder. Seems like something has charge on FE regarding monitor settings.

Ex:
- If your display becomes totally black after 5 or 10 minutes for example, please add
in the tooltypes of the Radeon’s icon ‘+RB’ at the end of the line of the resolution used
(‘MODE=1440x900@60+RB’), and if it’s not better, try to add ‘-RB’
(‘MODE=1440x900@60-RB’).

Anyone knows where those settings are stored now?
Discovery69

Post by Discovery69 »

thoby wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:44 am I fund this guide here:

That mention some setting for Radeon card, but I can't find the Radeon icon in the montoris folder. Seems like something has charge on FE regarding monitor settings.

Ex:
- If your display becomes totally black after 5 or 10 minutes for example, please add
in the tooltypes of the Radeon’s icon ‘+RB’ at the end of the line of the resolution used
(‘MODE=1440x900@60-RB’).

You can get the Radeon monitor file from the ISO Classic OS4.1 fe or CD, It's in :
System/Devs/Monitors/Radeon and Radeon.info for the tooltype.
I think that during the installation process doesn't put it in the system.

Bye.
Luigi
Discovery69

Post by Discovery69 »

Discovery69 wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:41 am

Ex:
(‘MODE=1440x900@60-RB’).

You can get the Radeon monitor file from the ISO Classic OS4.1 fe or CD, It's in :

Also check evening the kickstart-layout file with the text editor, that the Radeon.chip driver is present in the lista file.

Bye.
Luigi
thoby

Post by thoby »

Discovery69 wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:44 am
Discovery69 wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:41 am

Ex:
(‘MODE=1440x900@60-RB’).

Also check evening the kickstart-layout file with the text editor, that the Radeon.chip driver is present in the lista file.

Bye.
Luigi
Thanks. Copying those files to "System/Devs/Monitors" helped enabling the Monitor tab on screen mode prefs. But unfortunately adding those extra modes did not do the trick.
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

thoby wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:06 amBut unfortunately adding those extra modes did not do the trick.
They are not "extra". You should edit the original 1440×900 mode line - first try with +RB, then if that doesn't work, try with -RB instead. But don't leave any other 1440×900 mode while you try it.

Best regards,

Niels
thoby

Post by thoby »

nbache wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:15 pm
thoby wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:06 amBut unfortunately adding those extra modes did not do the trick.
They are not "extra". You should edit the original 1440×900 mode line - first try with +RB, then if that doesn't work, try with -RB instead. But don't leave any other 1440×900 mode while you try it.

Best regards,

Niels
Thanks for the tip. I tried both combinations but the result was the same. Those white strips keep popping up. I find it really strange that the card works fine under OS3.9 but not on OS4.1. From what I can read there and elsewhere it seems like the most common issue is to find a card with the correct voltage that works with the Mediator.