Workbench 3.2 - reset Workbench icon locations

A forum for Classic Amiga specific support issues.
kolla

Workbench 3.2 - reset Workbench icon locations

Post by kolla »

Workbench lacks (at least) one obvious feature - reset position of all device icons, left out icons etc on the actual desktop.

The most obvious choice, "Update all" in the Workbench menu, only resets the icons in open windows, all of them except the desktop.
The second most obvious choice, "Reset WB" in the Tools menu, doesn't reset icons (but screws up palette pens.)
Then there is "Redraw all" under the Workbench menu, which only seem like a "ResetWB light".

All these three above should perhaps be merged, as it is rather confusing to know which to use when, and to cure what - and none of them actually resets the icons position on the Workbench desktop!
Minuous

Re: Workbench 3.2 - reset Workbench icon locations

Post by Minuous »

Why would anyone expect "redraw all" to change the position of icons? It merely does a redraw (in case some rogue program has corrupted the display) and that is all it is intended to do.
kolla

Re: Workbench 3.2 - reset Workbench icon locations

Post by kolla »

Minuous wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 9:00 am Why would anyone expect "redraw all" to change the position of icons? It merely does a redraw (in case some rogue program has corrupted the display) and that is all it is intended to do.
I never seen it manage to even do that, for all I care, these "redraw" menu entries are totally useless and waste of menuspace.

However - my original complaint has been taken care of (thanks olsen, I suppose - certainly not you!), "update window" is now also available on workbench window, and "update all" also updates workbench, and both resets icon positions to their saved positions. As does ResetWB, iirc.